Has anyone imported any Analogman stuff directly from him?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited September 2018
    I've priced a Sunface  with low gain NKT, green light and on/off volume pot. It comes to $250 and then $50 postage. I'd imagine import taxes are roughly about $75 so thats $425 already. Thats £330ish. But they're still going on ebay in the UK for £400-500!

The ones going on eBay for £400+ are not the new NKTs which Analogman is currently selling. The older white dot NKTs command more second hand due to the scarcity of the transistors. The older red dots also seem to go for more than the current red dots he’s selling - the transistors are from different batches. Whether they are worth the extra coin is a different question. Clear as mud ey?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited September 2018
    ^ this is exactly what to look out for.

The ones you'll see selling for £350+ are  loaded with NKT275 transistors.  People tend to use the NKT branding in the listing title to try and command a higher price and not make it clear they're not 275.  If you check the completed listing the generic NKT versions usually fetch £220-250.  

In blind testing there probably would be no real difference detected after a bit of tweaking on the settings but it's the rarity that people are chasing not the output.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boy said:
    ^ this is exactly what to look out for.

The ones you'll see selling for £350+ are  loaded with NKT275 transistors.  People tend to use the NKT branding in the listing title to try and command a higher price and not make it clear they're not 275.  If you check the completed listing the generic NKT versions usually fetch £220-250.  

In blind testing there probably would be no real difference detected after a bit of tweaking on the settings but it's the rarity that people are chasing not the output.
    Yeah... that's true. Had a good read up about all the transistors on his page and that's definitely the case. The NKT275 transistors were used in the old Fulltone '69 pedals too. They were going for £500+ at one point. The low gain 'white dot' ones are the sound I'm after. The crunch sound of them on the demos I've watched with the volume on the guitar rolled down is amazing. I'm willing to take Analogman at his word. I'll email him and ask what transistor he recommends. Pretty much decided I'm going to get one made and brought across with my in-laws. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom