Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: '59 Strat

What's Hot
danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2699
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Ok so it's not a real '59 but it's close. Only 58 years apart. Probably one of the last few ones made by Fender from the American Vintage series of 2012-2017. Been after one of these for a while and the wait paid off.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• V nice!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats a beautiful colour
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Awesome. I love Sherwood Green.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    That's a big wow from me.
  • Very nice!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    Lovey that! I waited aged to get the Sonic Blue one and didn't gel with the neck at all. Hope you like yours.
  • Lovely Jubbly
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72612
    edited September 2018
    Ok so it's not a real '59 but it's close. Only 58 years apart.
    Ha .

It's quite a surprise these days, and a pleasure, to see a new guitar which is properly *new* and doesn't look like it's been dragged through a hedge backwards .

Beautiful colour, I've always thought the slab-board/3-ply-guard Strat suits the metallic blue and green colours like nothing else.

(On my monitor it looks like Ocean Turquoise, which is my favourite of all, but Sherwood Green is nice as well...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    Whats a slab board? That's one lovely looking Strat.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • AlexO said:
    Lovey that! I waited aged to get the Sonic Blue one and didn't gel with the neck at all. Hope you like yours.
    Thoroughly pleased with the neck :)
  • robgilmo said:
    Whats a slab board? That's one lovely looking Strat.
    It’s where the join between the rosewood and maple is flat. Later ones (mid 62 onwards IIRC) were thin curved boards, where the top of the neck was radiussed as well. Later (63) the boards because thinner still (known as ‘veneer boards’).
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    7.25 radius?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Is it Sherwood?  It looks almost like Gun Metal Blue on my (work) PC.
  • hootsmon said:
    7.25 radius?
    Yep :)

Philly_Q said:

Sherwood indeed. Colour balance was tough on this one. Watcha doing browsing TFB at work anyway ;)
    edited September 2018
    danishbacon said: 
    Philly_Q said:

Sherwood indeed. Colour balance was tough on this one. Watcha doing browsing TFB at work anyway

Well it was 6.30 pm.

I had an AVRI in Sherwood quite a few years ago, so pretty much the exact same model I guess, although they called it a '62 reissue.  Certainly one of the best looking Strats I've owned!

• BEST COLOUR!

Properly brilliant :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Lovely, that Sherwood and rosewood board looks great. Beautiful thing!
  • Here's a little sounds sample :)

• Philly_Q said:
    danishbacon said: 
    Philly_Q said:

Sherwood indeed. Colour balance was tough on this one. Watcha doing browsing TFB at work anyway

Well it was 6.30 pm.

I had an AVRI in Sherwood quite a few years ago, so pretty much the exact same model I guess, although they called it a '62 reissue.  Certainly one of the best looking Strats I've owned!

The first I came across one was a 62 Avri I think, and I for the longest time thought I was looking for it but then realized that American vintage and Avri are two different lines, not sure of the differences but I know that the 59 has clay dots and likely some different pickups too.
    Philly_Q said:
    danishbacon said: 
    Philly_Q said:

Well it was 6.30 pm.

The first I came across one was a 62 Avri I think, and I for the longest time thought I was looking for it but then realized that American vintage and Avri are two different lines, not sure of the differences but I know that the 59 has clay dots and likely some different pickups too.

You're right, mine didn't have clay dots and I noticed yours does.  If I remember correctly the pickups were the '57/'62 set.

I haven't followed the Fender range as closely as I used to but I think the American Vintage series replaced the AVRI series - around the same time they discontinued the '57 and '62 Hot Rod models and replaced them with the '50s and '60s Hot Rod models.  Not confusing at all....