Tiny amps

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2014
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    I like those little hotone nano amps. They have them in GAK and they are ridiculously small. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17631
    tFB Trader
    I use my brain meltingly loud Puretone at home. 

I just turn the volume down. 

Good amps usually sound good at any volume and a lot of amps sound shite when cranked to buggery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    I have a cornell plexi 7 which is phenomenal. Scaling for 7 watts down to 1/4 watt. Genuinely the best Marshall tone I've heard and the guts are a work of art.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • If you want a low power amp, I liked my old Mooer. It was very loud, but sounded just like an ac30 at low volume, too. For drive, you'd need to crank it, but it was voiced to sound good at all volume. Expensive, though, for a Chinese amp, so look used. It sounds different (very) to a night train - more ac30 sounding.

I've decided I prefer the sound of a big amp turned down.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited April 2014

The 1W Marshall heads are good, you can get one used at a good price and they sound genuinely good.

These are very useable late at night in the 0.1W mode.

The HT-1 is a good choice too but louder - it needs a touch of reverb (HT1R), I find it a bit dry without it.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Forge;208479" said:
    The 1W Marshall heads are good, you can get one used at a good price and they sound genuinely good.These are very useable late at night in the 0.1W mode.The HT-1 is a good choice too but louder - it needs a touch of reverb (HT1R), I find it a bit dry without it.
    I think one of these is still top of my list, I also love the sound of the SL5 but at its lowest it's 1watt and its combo only which is a shame as I already have a cab and of course it looks cooler :D
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    I'm also in the camp of utilising the volume knob on my main gigging amp when I want to practise quietly at home.
    Fwiw that's a jtm45 - non MV.  So if I need crunch at v low volumes I use the liquid sunshine pedal.

Sounds better than any small amp I've tried, including the tiny terror, a few 5w thingies, and the blackstar ht1r.  In light of my experience I find the sums that they charge for the 1watt marshals to be offensive.

Purely my opinion, ymmv.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I recently bought an HT1R combo and have been really impressed with it. I gig with an HT60 soloist, which I only use clean/gritty and use pedals for drive. I prefer the drive on the HT1R. It sounds commically good for such a wee box. Add a stone deaf PDF1 and you have a HUGE amount of variations
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    underdog said:

I think one of these is still top of my list, I also love the sound of the SL5 but at its lowest it's 1watt and its combo only which is a shame as I already have a cab and of course it looks cooler :D
    What speaker is in your cab? If it's not a 12" Celestion, get the combo anyway.

I was serious about the JVM410, but I'm even more serious about the Greenback :). The speaker is the most important single component in your amp, and playing even the best Marshall through the wrong speaker won't sound right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    ICBM;208724" said:
    [quote=underdog]
    What speaker is in your cab? If it's not a 12" Celestion, get the combo anyway.

I was serious about the JVM410, but I'm even more serious about the Greenback :). The speaker is the most important single component in your amp, and playing even the best Marshall through the wrong speaker won't sound right.
    [/quote]

It's a 12inch eminence I think.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    dindude said:
    Ok, don't shoot me, it's not valve, but I think this thing sounds pretty good and looks like fun.
    According to GAK it is all valve!
    "The Hotone Nano Legacy Purple Wind is a Tine 5W all valve Class AB Guitar Amplifier Head."
    http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hotone-nano-legacy-purple-wind-5-watt-guitar-amp-head/92863
    Oops!
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Would these not be prone to overheating?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Those Hotone jobs look nice, the price is good too. Would it be good into a harley benton vintage 2x12?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    underdog said:

It's a 12inch eminence I think.
    Any idea what model? It should say on the back, or on a label on the edge of the magnet.

Some of the Eminences are fairly close to some models of Celestions (I will admit that even though I'm not really a fan!), some are much more 'American voiced' and might sound a bit buzzy with a Marshall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's a Lady Luck according to Google, will check when I'm home to know for sure.
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    I have a Vox AC4 and a Laney VC30.

The VC 30 sounds better at low volumes than the AC4 even cranked on 1/4 watt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Confirmed speaker as eminence lady luck
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9683
    edited April 2014
    Just reading through this thread - people seem to be implying that a 5W valve amp is too loud for bedroom use, yet I'd hazard a guess they're not loud enough on their own for even a smallish gig. So what market are they really aimed at? Studio? Or for gigs where they'd be mic'ed up? Or something else? At the moment I'm quite liking the look of the Blackstar HT5-210 (though being fickle I will quite like the look of something entirely different next week!) but am wondering if I'd really have any use for it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited April 2014
    5 watt great for recording, depending on music style small gigs and of course Mic them up for larger gigs. 5 valve watts flat out is amazingly loud, I'm sure someone could tell you the facts about amp wattage and volume bit not me I've got no clue :D