Tiny amps

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ForgeForge Frets: 431

I have been looking at tiny amps for a while and had the Cornford Harlequin, Blackstar HT5, A GDec15, an Orange Dark terror and Marshalls 1w. Now I will give the Matamp Mini-Pro a try.

My favourite so far has been the JMP 1 watt - I compensate the late of master volume by setting it at 0.1W with a gritty tone and pump it up with a fuzz, boost or OD.

Only the 1W heads and the GDec15 have been decent at bedroom level - the best one was probably the Harlequin but you still need an attenuator to get the best out of it at low volumes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I fancied the 1 watt jcm but it was a boat load of cash for what it was, so I will keep my eyes peeled in eBay in the future for one.

Honestly maybe it's my old ears but I've just been playing with gain at about 12 o clock at a volume where I could still hold a conversation with my 3 year old and it was putting out a lovely Marshall type sound.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I think underdogs  version of  quiet is a lot louder than my wifes version LOL The Blackstar is a fine amp though  a wise choice .
    Oh if I'm sitting in the living room and the boss (umm wife) is watching tv I plug into the pocket pod but honestly I'm lucky enough to have a room in basement of my own, though I am conscious of how loud I play as I'm quite self conscious.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    underdog said:
    Oh if I'm sitting in the living room and the boss (umm wife) is watching tv I plug into the pocket pod but honestly I'm lucky enough to have a room in basement of my own, though I am conscious of how loud I play as I'm quite self conscious.
    now I understand how LOUD you play.  A basement is pretty sound proof, lucky bastard.  If I played that loud in the house I would end up under it, in a box, covered in mud....
    Mark_R;219439" said:
    underdog said:

now I understand how LOUD you play.  A basement is pretty sound proof, lucky bastard.  If I played that loud in the house I would end up under it, in a box, covered in mud....
    Honest it's not that loud, like I said earlier I was playing at a volume where I could still hold a conversation with a toddler.

The basement (or guitar cave as it gets called) has the stairs in the dining room, and is "open" in that there is no door, nor wall running down the side of the stairs. So it's like playing in the living room, while someone was Sat in the bedroom above.

I do love it down there though, no kids go down there, I plan on spending some money on it soon.
  • deafeyesdeafeyes Frets: 6

The 2 watt Hayden Lil' Mofo looks tasty...

http://haydenamps.com/products/1/Amps/2/MoFo/90/Lil-MoFo-/

deafeyes said:

Sure but you can get this point to point handwired 4W UK made head for £100 more:

http://matamp.co.uk/amplification/mini-mat.htm

Forge;219526" said:
    deafeyes said:

Sure but you can get this point to point handwired 4W UK made head for £100 more:http://matamp.co.uk/amplification/mini-mat.htm
    I've always wanted a matamp I have no idea why I didn't look at their site when I was looking for an Mp this time, they literally just slipped my mind.
    underdog said:
    Forge;219526" said:
    deafeyes said:

Sure but you can get this point to point handwired 4W UK made head for £100 more:http://matamp.co.uk/amplification/mini-mat.htm
    I've always wanted a matamp I have no idea why I didn't look at their site when I was looking for an Mp this time, they literally just slipped my mind.
    I just ordered mine - knowing I could have a white panel with the old fashioned underscore logo was enough to pull the trigger!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    stonevibe said:
    I'm using a Smokey and a Pignose a lot at the moment.

Neither are valve and it doesn't make them any less useful.

Only just got the Pignose and it is way louder than the Smokey. Both a great and I've bought them for both using around the house, down the pub, around mate's houses. 

I also intend to use them for recording as they both have these great tones that you just cannot coax out of large amps.

I have owned a ZVex Nano head and similar in the past. They are great, but also really loud in comparison to the stuff I'm using at the moment.

I love my Smokey. Tho there's not much left of the God knows how many years old Lucky Strike packet. Sounds even better muffled in my back pocket while yomping around the house.

'Loudness' is a mysterious beast indeed. I generally gig with an Egnater Rebel 30 head through a Marshall 4x12, Celestian Greenbacks. Only the vocals at the moment are through the PA, but I don't get the thing past 9 o'clock on the volume knob. When we all go fully PA'd (I'll get a Shure SM57 is it? And a wee stand. Bit of a bigger spend for the drummer tho...) I'll likely sell the Egnater and the TSL combo and get myself a nice small vintage Fender tweed thingy. Be nice on the back stress.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Just like my Minimat 2 :-)

It looks like a tiny Series 2000
    Just like my Minimat 2 :-)

It looks like a tiny Series 2000
    Exactly, it makes them sound 10% better too! :D