Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Well...here's a condundrum...what to do? (Vintage JayDee content)

What's Hot

So...once upon a time, this was a completely different shape...

The conversion job is an old one.

As you can see, there are a number of glaring anomalies, including some spectacular misalignment...

That said, it plays well and sounds OK.

So...what to do? Return it to it's original spec or leave it alone (other than a wee bit of tidying) and love it as it is?

Answers on a postcard... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    What a daft question  ;)

Restore to original of course.

Man or mouse?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Has it been tarmaced? 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited September 2018
    You can’t really ‘restore’ it though, can you? The wing tips are gone so you’d really be rebuilding it by gluing odd bits back on, after which it’ll still be a bit of a bitsa. Then it needs a solid colour refin etc. Anyone who needed help to do that would probably spend more than it’s worth on the work. 

If it was mine I’d sell it to Harry7
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited September 2018
    I see it’s had some quality nut slot fettling at some point too
  • I see it’s had some quality nut slot fettling at some point too
    Indeed. Possibly from the “He who must not be named” school of amateur luthiery. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16686
    Whats going on under the guard?

I think its brilliant by the way...  I would be tempted to restore, but god knows what you are going to find under that paint!
  • WezV said:
    Whats going on under the guard?

I think its brilliant by the way...  I would be tempted to restore, but god knows what you are going to find under that paint!
    I’ve not had the guard off yet...bit too scary for a Saturday afternoon!

• @WezV - BTW, the “new” wings are glued AND dowelled on.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Unless the conversion was done by Jaydee - hard to believe given the 'quality' - just make a new body for it and be done with it. The only reason it's worth anything at all is because of the logo on the headstock. Otherwise it's just firewood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Keep it as is, use it to heat the HarrySeven mansion in the winter 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d send it back to Jaydee for new body repair. 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited September 2018
    Rebuild it..

Special place in my heart - at the tender age of 13 a friend of my moms came over to my house with a JD V and an amp and let me have a go. I was mad onto rock music at the time and had a blast..

Lets just say I’ve never gone a day without a guitar (or two!) in my life after that night.. changed my life forever..

Si
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I rather admire the body shape... Rickenbacker meets Dano DC. Vees are shit. Unless you're Lonnie Mack.

I'd either leave it or, if I really liked it as a player, refinish it in a blindingly cool colour. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I'd leave it as is shape wise but refinish it using two colours, one for the old v section and another for the stuck on bits, might look funky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Strip it. Veneer it front and back and refin I'd say
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Cover the lot in woodchip wallpaper, paint it Magnolia and hang a set of flying duck wall ornaments on it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Harry if you do restore it, can I come over and help/make tea? You Know after our meet 2weeks ago we are brothers in the strange guitar fraternity  and I would love to give you a hand with this ..i think it would be a project and a half! I would want nothing for the help apart from a go on your Robin :D....  Oh and roland guitars :D:D
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    King85 said:
    I'd leave it as is shape wise but refinish it using two colours, one for the old v section and another for the stuck on bits, might look funky.
    I believe we may have the answer here...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I say leave it- someone (however misguidedly), put a good deal of effort into that and executed the job well imo, and the result is solid- that’s more appealing to me than a twice dismembered block board V :-)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited September 2018
    I say leave it- someone (however misguidedly), put a good deal of effort into that and executed the job well imo, and the result is solid- that’s more appealing to me than a twice dismembered block board V :-)
    On reflection, I’m with you on that. It feels great to play too.