Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1961 Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I wondered awhile back, forum members have some amazing gear that all of us would love to try out.
    How about if say, five or more members met up, brought two or three guitars, and an amp each. The gear brought along is wanted to be tried out by the other members attending.
    Maybe it could be tied in with stuff for sale, it could be a small personal guitar show. Would need small venue/function room.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    KDS said:
    I wondered awhile back, forum members have some amazing gear that all of us would love to try out.
    How about if say, five or more members met up, brought two or three guitars, and an amp each. The gear brought along is wanted to be tried out by the other members attending.
    Maybe it could be tied in with stuff for sale, it could be a small personal guitar show. Would need small venue/function room.

It works a treat, there’s a group of us in the SE that has been doing this for the last 5 or so years, meeting up and peacocking our kit, letting others try etc. Jamming and making music isn’t high on the agenda, geeking over kit is.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    That's a lovely heirloom with a tangible link to your Dad and his playing.  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice mate, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Really helpful to me personally as a true reference of an unmolested 61.

You might have started a FB 61 Strat thread here, I’ve got a nicely beaten up 61 here that I can post pics of and from memory I think @Gassage  has one as well?

Be great to have a thread with pics of 61s or even a just Pre CBS thread (even basses :) )
  • Just a suggestion but you could bring it to the water rats jam next year and we could all have a good perv over it ;)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    skippy76 said:
    Very nice mate, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Really helpful to me personally as a true reference of an unmolested 61.

You might have started a FB 61 Strat thread here, I’ve got a nicely beaten up 61 here that I can post pics of and from memory I think @Gassage  has one as well?

Be great to have a thread with pics of 61s or even a just Pre CBS thread (even basses :) )
    Yup, almost identical but not as good a nick!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Neil said:
    That's a lovely heirloom with a tangible link to your Dad and his playing.  :)

Yes - it’s a nice thing to have..

I shan’t expand on this anymore as It’s fkin a little embarrassing but the guitar played a pretty large part in the music biz of the 60’s - 80’s. The last famous encounter was when my Dad worked with R.E.M. in the States but there are so many more that it starts to take the piss! Enough said and please don’t ask ;)

Si
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Btw I’d be more than happy to bring it to any meet and greets for those than wanna have a play..
  • Just a suggestion but you could bring it to the water rats jam next year and we could all have a good perv over it ;)
    Bring it to water rats and we could pretty much do a pre-cbs song...! (If we could find some vintage drums!)
  • Sure thing - let me know the details..
  • Sure thing - let me know the details..
    There’s a whole thread in the events section - sign up and come along - loads of kit there to ogle ;)
  • Cool - will do..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    You need to work on the relicing, it’s nowhere near bashed up enough for a real ‘61.

;)

:)

It’s great to see a nice old guitar in what is actually *real* used but cared for condition. And it clearly has been played a lot - and refretted, when the originals wore down - just not abused.

So I don’t think you should worry about ‘not using it’ - it’s done it’s time, and survived. You don’t need to gig it in rough places to use it, as long as you play it at home, record with it (if you do) and maybe play a ‘posh’ gig once in a while then it’s being used. Even at that, it’s still more than most vintage guitars do now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Well I’m def gonna swing you an invite to the next SE get together - I’m even more intrigued now by the REM connection (huge REM fan here)
  • ICBM said:
    You need to work on the relicing, it’s nowhere near bashed up enough for a real ‘61.

;)

:)

It’s great to see a nice old guitar in what is actually *real* used but cared for condition. And it clearly has been played a lot - and refretted, when the originals wore down - just not abused.

So I don’t think you should worry about ‘not using it’ - it’s done it’s time, and survived. You don’t need to gig it in rough places to use it, as long as you play it at home, record with it (if you do) and maybe play a ‘posh’ gig once in a while then it’s being used. Even at that, it’s still more than most vintage guitars do now.
    Lol - I do look at MB & CS relic Strats and think wtf!!

It does get played a reasonable amount by me so it’s certainly not a glass case guitar.. Ultimately it would be nice if it became a community instrument if you know what I mean. 

Si
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited September 2018
    My playing is not worthy of such a guitar but the fact you want to share this piece of history with other players is admirable. I hope it brings a lot of happiness to you and those who get to play it.

I also agree it makes a mockery of a lot of relics. Although this does look like a particularly well looked after example - so I guess there is a more extreme end of the spectrum of genuine wear.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Yes - it’s a nice thing to have..

I shan’t expand on this anymore as It’s fkin a little embarrassing but the guitar played a pretty large part in the music biz of the 60’s - 80’s. The last famous encounter was when my Dad worked with R.E.M. in the States but there are so many more that it starts to take the piss! Enough said and please don’t ask ;)
    Given all that, I think that nice Joel Bananannananamonster would be quite happy to drag it down his local next he's over...
    I think his local is called The Royle Alibert Hole?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol - I mailed Joe as well :) no reply! Can’t give these old pieces or rubbish away..
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Lol - I mailed Joe as well :) no reply! Can’t give these old pieces or rubbish away..
    They probably think your emails are some kind of elaborate phishing scam! If something seems too good to be true etc...

I'd love to see how it plays / sounds
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I think it may be a worry about an insurance stunt, if anything happens to it - or even just genuine fear of losing or damaging someone else's very valuable property.

A long time ago I was doing some repair work on a '64 Strat for a good friend, and he said I could gig with it if I wanted to have some fun with it - but I didn't, because the idea of taking a several grand guitar that belonged to someone else to anywhere it could be damaged or stolen just made me nervous. I'm currently borrowing a 70s Mustang Bass from him and I would probably gig with that, it's not as scary since it's less valuable than my own bass, and I know it's not his favourite or anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein