Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1961 Strat

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yeah to be fair, an email out of the blue from a stranger saying have my ‘61 Strat for a while are probably ignored in the same way as emails from Nigerian Princes are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited September 2018
    You’re related to a Nigerian prince too? We must be brothers...
  • ICBM said:
    I think it may be a worry about an insurance stunt, if anything happens to it - or even just genuine fear of losing or damaging someone else's very valuable property.

A long time ago I was doing some repair work on a '64 Strat for a good friend, and he said I could gig with it if I wanted to have some fun with it - but I didn't, because the idea of taking a several grand guitar that belonged to someone else to anywhere it could be damaged or stolen just made me nervous. I'm currently borrowing a 70s Mustang Bass from him and I would probably gig with that, it's not as scary since it's less valuable than my own bass, and I know it's not his favourite or anything.
    I get that - it’s a sad world though when it’s become so cynical..

Si
  • dindude said:
    KDS said:
    I wondered awhile back, forum members have some amazing gear that all of us would love to try out.
    How about if say, five or more members met up, brought two or three guitars, and an amp each. The gear brought along is wanted to be tried out by the other members attending.
    Maybe it could be tied in with stuff for sale, it could be a small personal guitar show. Would need small venue/function room.

It works a treat, there’s a group of us in the SE that has been doing this for the last 5 or so years, meeting up and peacocking our kit, letting others try etc. Jamming and making music isn’t high on the agenda, geeking over kit is.
    Would love that idea over here in the westcountry. I've got my 1959 Les Paul special that I'd love to hear others enjoy. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Lol - I mailed Joe as well :) no reply! Can’t give these old pieces or rubbish away..
    That's a shame. Perhaps contact him via some form of social media, if there a form of that where he actually interacts with punters? I wouldn't know, though, I have other players to fanboi over.
  • I have nothing to add other than that is absolutely lovely and thank you for sharing. Wish I was bloody closer to take you up on your kind offer, lovely to see a piece being handed on within the family. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Looks great!

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Just to add - do come along to the Water Rats, and @TTony maybe we can have a show and tell room?

At the last one I brought a lot of my old stuff along and lots of people had a go, they're not for everyone but they are different - and it's great fun to see people try them out.

I'll certainly be along bringing everything I can again - so could be interesting.

In terms of lending it out - I have lent out mine, but not to anyone who'd gig - insurance won't cover it normally (the lending part) and it's just too risky.

That said, similar offer to me - I live in Central London so if anyone wants to try something this sort of age please let me know, current list for me is always changing but have a pretty good spread of Fender and Gibson through the 50's and 60's

• Thanks @peteri ;

I'd defo like to have a play on some of the golden era Gibbo's as I have little exposure other than a '69 L5 CES I had some time ago.. be good if you're bringing stuff over to the Rats.. :)

Simon

@grappagreen - sure, and drop me a PM if you're around Oxford Street tube anytime

• @peteri - that's very kind. I'm often in town and will defo get in touch..

Si
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    peteri said:

Just to add - do come along to the Water Rats, and @TTony maybe we can have a show and tell room?

Absolutely.

Sounds like a fine idea to me.  If we get the run of the whole place again, there’d be no problem with having a (slightly) quieter room amongst all the jamming.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Cool - thanks!