Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Memorable Jools Moments

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14292
    tFB Trader
    Alvin said:
    Seasick Steve on the Hootenanny , nobody had heard of him , great back story (if somewhat exaggerated) and to use an old phrase - became an overnight sensation .   Cheap amp , battered guitar and stole the show .
    Have been reading this OP trying to think what is mine - Seen some suggestions above and I thought agree, disagree or not seen it - Then I saw this and yes I recall watching it as well - Purchased the album - Part of me thinks it has a limited shelf like when played at home, but live and festivals then still excellent - I love his phrasing and timing

Love his line 'started of with nothing and I still got most of it left' - A character to be sure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alvin said:
    Seasick Steve on the Hootenanny , nobody had heard of him , great back story (if somewhat exaggerated) and to use an old phrase - became an overnight sensation .   Cheap amp , battered guitar and stole the show .
    Have been reading this OP trying to think what is mine - Seen some suggestions above and I thought agree, disagree or not seen it - Then I saw this and yes I recall watching it as well - Purchased the album - Part of me thinks it has a limited shelf like when played at home, but live and festivals then still excellent - I love his phrasing and timing

Love his line 'started of with nothing and I still got most of it left' - A character to be sure
    Wasnt he actually a fairly comfortably off studio musician that invented the whole "hobo" routine as a bit of a novelty?

Still utterly brilliant though
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    thecolourbox said:

Wasnt he actually a fairly comfortably off studio musician that invented the whole "hobo" routine as a bit of a novelty?
    Yes. I also know someone who built a couple of his expensive, custom-made "dumpster find" guitars...

I have to say it put me off him a lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    edited September 2018

This thread has already mentioned a number of my favourites including Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Seasick Steve and of course KT Tunstall.

Sat on the train on the way home it hit me what stopped me in my tracks on first listen and can I find it on youtube? Can I hell. (Loads of other versions though)

Jeff Beck playing his white strat through a couple of Pro Juniors coaxing all kinds of noises to create a beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2018
    I forgot about this one ...

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • thebreeze said:
    What a sublime piece of music that is, not heard it for years...

My favourite track in this thread thus far. 

Nice one breezy. 
    Thanks Ourman.  I remember being so blown away when I saw that (I can’t believe that was more than 20 years ago now!). A bit like how I felt when I first heard Are Friends Electric? for the first time on TOTPs.  Classics now, but you’re so right - Glory Box is sublime, timeless.
  • Manic street preachers for me

https://youtu.be/19N9H1JXvko

Orbital playing Satan also sticks in my head but I can’t find the film of 5hat.

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    edited September 2018
    Alvin said:

Still utterly brilliant though
       I agree with you there , you would think it had limited shelf life , there isn't really much to what he does but , it's the whole package his voice suits the style perfectly he really can sing  and the sound through a simple cube amp just works.  I can listen again and again to SSS  . Live he is really good but it does work better in a smaller venue .
         There was always something dubious about the hobo story but has he ever said he was a hobo all his life ? Not as far as i know . I think there probably is some truth in it when he was young but how long did he live like that for ? We all know he worked with Modest Mouse and he said he worked in and had his own studio's so there was always a story being exaggerated .  
      I found this out recently and i doubt he wanted it to get out but he was also a session player and a singer in the 70's with the band Crystal Grass .  Knowing that now some people have said they think he is a fraud but i think it just adds to his story.   You can tell it's him singing .    Steve Leach  a.k.a. Seasick Steve .

I wonder if that's where the inspiration for Keith Lemmon came from ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I learned the lead lick from this - so this for me...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Jeff Beck playing his white strat through a couple of Pro Juniors coaxing all kinds of noises to create a beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

I recall that JB clip - watch it again and he makes a slight mistake - And at the end as the camera moves away from his stage set you'll see him, smack his fore head in frustration
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4702
    tone1 said:
    One of my favs.... :)

https://youtu.be/JSntVg5s1Vs
    Always loved that performance - EC always sounds superb on a 335....
    Totally love this one.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited September 2018
    I can't say I enjoy it much, though it's the kind of thing I'd expect to like & agree with @prowla about the presenter.
    There's something else that slips my mind now, but this is pretty excellent-

• Not enjoying the current series much...time to resurrect this thread with my highlights from recent years:

Paul Simon - Wristband
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlanBGc7Cs4

Christine and the Queens - Tilted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxM3W5uaVok

Field Music - Disappointed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaucGJHIw0

I preferred Field Music's other tune 'The Noisy Days Are Over' but I can't find the JH footage...so here's a different performance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovAEc1_omk
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285

One of my absolute favourites. A great live performance. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited November 2019
    It’s not for everyone.... 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    One day I’ll post something from YouTube and it’ll work.... oh well. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Ah, this thread again..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2586
    Not really a fan of Jools Holland. There's an overtone of conceit and reverence that doesn't sit well with me.

Having said that, there's been a few performances that have stuck.

Primal...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxrlOfHkl34

Maybe the first time I really clicked with Sigur Ros and got the Scandinavian sense of community thing they had at their peak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAFA0ZPPHs4

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited November 2019
    James Dean Bradfield - Little Baby Nothing

Jellyfish - Ghost at Number One

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/