Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinline Teles ...

What's Hot
What you got/had? I am particularly interested in the 72 version but any Thinline stories/knowledge welcome. Pics too, especially if you have custom built your own flavour of thinline - doesn't have to Fender, could be an old MIJ from the 70's etc...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I had the Fender 72 RI.

Stunning guitar, put I never got on with the pickups.  Just a bit too muddy for my tastes

So pretty though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 72 only works with proper widerange repros. With the stock pickups its quite bland. The MIM re-issues have great necks but vintage fretwire etc. I've not tried the US models from a few years back. I'd recommend doing a DIY build with wideranges and meg ohm pots which makes for a fat and clear tone. More akin to a snappy les paul. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    edited September 2018
    Funnily enough I've got a Vintage V72 Flame Tobacco Burst. It's pretty obvious what it's 'inspired' by but for a sub £300 guitar it's fantastic value - great build quality, Wilkinson parts and plays very nicely. Nice clear, articulate pickups which really roar with some drive. The bridge pickup sounds more like a Tele than my actual Fender Tele. I appreciate it's not actually 'vintage' or unique but it's a really nice player and looks great. 

Ignore the RRP, I got mine for about £270 from the local dealer. 

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-electrics/vintage-v72-custom-spec-tl-electric-guitar-flame-tobacco-burst
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    I’ve got a G&L Tribute semi-hollow with a single coil at the bridge and a humbucker in the neck position...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/PeG1ZvjR36OZr3wN1mLwMn7Xzr3Dr9TzgiNNglwh8Gt

An excellent guitar. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • 72 only works with proper widerange repros. With the stock pickups its quite bland. The MIM re-issues have great necks but vintage fretwire etc. I've not tried the US models from a few years back. I'd recommend doing a DIY build with wideranges and meg ohm pots which makes for a fat and clear tone. More akin to a snappy les paul. 
    Yeah I think this might be an option as I like a rounded or soft V neck profile without all the poly on - i've stripped a neck before and I won't be rushing to do another!
  • joeyowen said:
    I had the Fender 72 RI.

Stunning guitar, put I never got on with the pickups.  Just a bit too muddy for my tastes

So pretty though.
    Yeah I heard more bad than good about the pups
    Yeah I think this might be an option as I like a rounded or soft V neck profile without all the poly on - i've stripped a neck before and I won't be rushing to do another!
    I've seen these and they look really good. Only issue with these for me, is the necks are quite slim.
  • I have a custom thinline La Cab. Obviously different pickups from the 72, and I spec'ed mine to be a little closer to a Duo Jet at each stage, and it's a wonderful instrument. Chimy and growly and jangly and twangy all at the same time.

I love a good 72 thinline, but most MIM ones aren't that as the pickups are just PAFs in fancy covers. The proper 72 thing needs WRHBs.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000 said:
    I’ve got a G&L Tribute semi-hollow with a single coil at the bridge and a humbucker in the neck position...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/PeG1ZvjR36OZr3wN1mLwMn7Xzr3Dr9TzgiNNglwh8Gt

An excellent guitar. 
    Yeah, I would like to try one, although the jury is still out on the headstock for me
  • I have a custom thinline La Cab. Obviously different pickups from the 72, and I spec'ed mine to be a little closer to a Duo Jet at each stage, and it's a wonderful instrument. Chimy and growly and jangly and twangy all at the same time.

I love a good 72 thinline, but most MIM ones aren't that as the pickups are just PAFs in fancy covers. The proper 72 thing needs WRHBs.
    Sounds like a monster! Any pics?

Of course! It's ace. I really must get some soundclips done at some point..

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I had (until recently) an original 72 Thinline (with the wide range pickups).

Wonderful guitar, ultimately I moved it on - but nothing wrong with the guitar at all, definitely an instrument in it's own right - it's not just another Tele, something different and unique about it

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14420
    tFB Trader
    I have a custom thinline La Cab. Obviously different pickups from the 72, and I spec'ed mine to be a little closer to a Duo Jet at each stage, and it's a wonderful instrument. Chimy and growly and jangly and twangy all at the same time.

That looks awesome - Love TV Jones on a Tele and love the Cab
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

GULP! What a beaut!
  • I was reliving my yoof a bit the other day and watching NWOBHM band Vardis on youtube. If you are unfamiliar with them something like a single guitar Status Quo on amphetamines. They are still going to some extent ( somewhat older, fatter and balder) and it looks like he is using the Fender modern player thinline. These are Chinese built, I think, about £390 new. I quite like the look of these and if they are good enough for Vardis ... 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've got a CS Thinline that I think they called a "50's Nocaster Thinline" so is completely inaccurate from a historic point of view but sounds absolutely filthy. She has a massive baseball bat U neck. I can never remember if she is HLE or Frost gold. image'>

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited September 2018
    I have an AVRI when they were doing a deal on them a few years ago.  Putting Mojo WRHB in has made a massive improvement!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    I have a completely original 1973 with WRHB.

some things to note: as @Wazmeister will confirm, it’s an incredible guitar and I’ve had about ten offers for it off the forum but it’s not representative of others of that era which of course was very variable. 

Waz am was so impressed he bought a 73 but then decided it wasn’t quite like mine is....part of the reason for that is the bridge pup in mine is ever so slightly microphonic, but in a good way.

the key to these are the WRHB’s and the ones in the reissues are random HBs with a wide range cover. They are rubbish compared the the real CuNiFe ones.

the ri guitars are very good though, so get a nice one and then get either creamery, mojo or oil city wRHb replacements.

personally I don’t like the single coil late 60s guitars; they’re weedy and reedy compared to the monster tones of the WRHB models

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23129
    I've got a CS Thinline that I think they called a "50's Nocaster Thinline" so is completely inaccurate from a historic point of view but sounds absolutely filthy. She has a massive baseball bat U neck. I can never remember if she is HLE or Frost gold. 

I've got a similar CS Nocaster Thinline, but mine has a '50s sunburst finish, 4-way switching and, weirdly, a rosewood-board neck with a '65 C profile.  I'm not particularly fond of the neck, I might swap it for a proper fat one-piece maple Nocaster neck.

I used to have a Fender USA '90s Tele Thinline (I think that was the model name) with American Standard style hardware - the sealed tuners made it annoyingly neck-heavy.

And I've got a couple of Warmoth bodies and Fender necks which - like all my partscasters - I've never got round to assembling.  One's a blue sunburst '72 style which I intend to put TV Jones pickups in.... but it may never happen.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    And here is my 1973

Literally not one change on it of any kind. Totally original.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom