Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinline Teles ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Got a wee project going on, whereby my Mexican '72 reissue (fig. 1) has been all TV Joneserised (fig. 2) and then the body flown off to SCR Nitro aka @lonestar to have the full Tango treatment (fig. 3).

Rather looking forward to screwing it all back together.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    And here is my 1973

Literally not one change on it of any kind. Totally original.

Gorgeous.  Have a wow.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a custom thinline La Cab. Obviously different pickups from the 72, and I spec'ed mine to be a little closer to a Duo Jet at each stage, and it's a wonderful instrument. Chimy and growly and jangly and twangy all at the same time.

I love a good 72 thinline, but most MIM ones aren't that as the pickups are just PAFs in fancy covers. The proper 72 thing needs WRHBs.
    Sounds like a monster! Any pics?
    Of course! It's ace. I really must get some soundclips done at some point..

Sexy A.F. 

Yum.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9378
    I've got a CS Thinline that I think they called a "50's Nocaster Thinline" so is completely inaccurate from a historic point of view but sounds absolutely filthy. She has a massive baseball bat U neck. I can never remember if she is HLE or Frost gold. 

I played a Chris Fleming nocaster thinline from about 2005 in Coda that still haunts me to this day. Doug offered it to me for £2,500. I ended up with a solid body cs nocaster which I love and still have, but I wish I’d got the masterbuilt
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27674
     Pics too, especially if you have custom built your own flavour of thinline - 

This is mine - based on a GSP body & neck with some Oil City p'ups.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Got a wee project going on, whereby my Mexican '72 reissue (fig. 1) has been all TV Joneserised (fig. 2) and then the body flown off to SCR Nitro aka @lonestar to have the full Tango treatment (fig. 3).

Rather looking forward to screwing it all back together.

Ooh, like the binding. nice touch :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

And I've got a couple of Warmoth bodies and Fender necks which - like all my partscasters - I've never got round to assembling.  One's a blue sunburst '72 style which I intend to put TV Jones pickups in.... but it may never happen.

errm.. you should send me some pics and maybe I could relieve you of some of that pain ;)
  • TTony said:
     Pics too, especially if you have custom built your own flavour of thinline - 

This is mine - based on a GSP body & neck with some Oil City p'ups.
    Nice Tony, plenty of switching going on there!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    I’ve got one of these, bought it new in 1997.  Still use it most weeks.

https://reverb.com/au/item/2411339-1997-squier-telecaster-thinline-pro-tone-series-rare-korean-tele-hsc
  • I’ve got a MiM 69 that was my gigging guitar back in the days when I gigged.

It doesn’t get much play these days as I’m currently favouring Gibson’s. That said I’d only get rid if I was replacing it with another thinline or an incredibly light ‘52 AVRI. The light weight is part of the appeal for me.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    edited September 2018
    I had a MIM thinline with widerange pickups. Lovely neck, but for whatever reason, I moved it on.
    Thinking about a Squier CV thinline tele (with single coils) in a few months. I don't see many used ones online which might be a good sign. 
    I also notice there is a Squier thinline with wide range style pickups too?
    Any great differences between the Squier and MIM thinlines? 
    Whatever I choose, a pickup upgrade will be carried out
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    First telecaster I ever played, was an original late 1968 mahogany Thinline. It was dropped on my lap just for a quick try. I played it for about half an hour it blew me away but I was pretty inexperienced with electric guitars in general at the time.

I always wanted one and further down the line ended up having a fender masterbuilt 1968 copy with a 10/56 neck put in fender handwound single coils.

It's a fantastic guitar, I've toyed with the idea of selling it, but usually give up after picking it up. They are great guitars, a bit different from a regular tele. They just breath a little more.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Love a nice thinline. Picked up a 69 AVRI and 72 AVRI a few years back. Both great, and the 69 is silly light (5lb 14!) but still balanced. 

Unlike what seems like the whole internet, I quite like the 'fake' WR humbuckers in the 72. Sounds great. Maybe the AVRI ones are different?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
  • Some lovely looking beasts here :+1:

• @Gassage - as ever, James is correct here... I did play his beloved ‘73 and it is a very special guitar; I couldn’t put my finger on it, but the whole balanced of it along with those wonderful break-up cleans the Seth Lovers produce...

The RIs are now where near this one... and 
    No other Thinline I’ve played sounded like this; but ironically, my Suhr Alt t Pro is very close I’d imagine...

Id like to AB the two of them...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947

@Gassage - as ever, James is correct here... I did play his beloved ‘73 and it is a very special guitar; I couldn’t put my finger on it, but the whole balanced of it along with those wonderful break-up cleans the Seth Lovers produce...

The RIs are now where near this one... and 
    No other Thinline I’ve played sounded like this; but ironically, my Suhr Alt t Pro is very close I’d imagine...

Id like to AB the two of them...
    Waz, my houswarming 28th if you're around.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    terada said:

Unlike what seems like the whole internet, I quite like the 'fake' WR humbuckers in the 72. Sounds great. Maybe the AVRI ones are different?

I seem to remember at the time I saw a couple things that said that the AVRI ones were 'revoiced' to the ones they put in the mim thinlines and I didn't mind them too much either.  Still ended up putting Mojos in mine though and they are a lot better!