Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

G&L USA Guitars (Andertons)

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28734
    edited September 2018
    Mebbe.

Fender copies by (Leo) Fender?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've said this a few times, but as far as I know, the basses are far more popular than the guitars. Almost like a new direction on a Musicman Stingray.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one of the Korean made Tributes, before they moved production to Indonesia. I'd say it's a fantastic guitar. At the time I bought it about 10 years ago, I was A/B-ing it with Mexican made Fenders which were more expensive, and it slayed them.

The Asian made models still use the US pickups, although they use slightly cheaper bridge saddles (on the saddle lock bridge) and Mighty Mite rather than CTS pots. Other than that, they are very very close.

The Saddle lock and dual fulcrum bridges are both improvements on the Fender designs, imho. The big MFD pickups are also excellent, although I could see that being a personal taste thing. They are more hi-fi and 'wide' sounding than a standard Fender single coil, and maybe sound a bit more modern. For my taste, I maybe prefer normal Alnico type pickups on a strat style guitar, but on the ASAT/tele type models, the big MFDs are great.
  • Hmmm I’m probably cynical but Lee saying “they’re in a couple of other places but not many...” and “semi exclusively” doesn’t really tell the full story...

Also begs the question if they were always so great, why haven’t they had them on the website until now?

GuitarGuitar’s pricing is almost exactly the same. Seems a bit odd that they are both now pushing them heavily all of sudden but neither one is trying to compete with the other on price...
  • I’m sure that I’ll own a USA Legacy eventually it’ll only take a weak moment and an eBay “bargain”. I think that a G&L Legacy is a better guitar for me than a PRS Strat copy, I also like the look of the ASAT and Bluesboy Tele style instruments. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14412
    tFB Trader
    Hmmm I’m probably cynical but Lee saying “they’re in a couple of other places but not many...” and “semi exclusively” doesn’t really tell the full story...

Also begs the question if they were always so great, why haven’t they had them on the website until now?

GuitarGuitar’s pricing is almost exactly the same. Seems a bit odd that they are both now pushing them heavily all of sudden but neither one is trying to compete with the other on price...
    Andertons GuitarGuitar and PMT have formed a 'buying consortium' for the purpose of handling such a product line, called GAP - Effectively no middle man, so G&L can now get the product into the shops at a far more attractive price - The 3 dealers will have to make a greater commitment to the brand regarding promotion + investment

So G&L are no longer available at any other UK outlets - ie the many other independents

No doubt that the 3 stores will offer  stronger promotional activity and stock levels with stores in many major UK cities - Long term we'll have to see where it goes and what other lines they might add on such a basis 

Yes, very convenient that prices are the same and NO pricing policy in place
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2366
    Hmmm I’m probably cynical but Lee saying “they’re in a couple of other places but not many...” and “semi exclusively” doesn’t really tell the full story...

There's a thread discussing all this - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139216/dealer-buying-consortium-guitarguitar-andertons-pmt/p1
  • A USA G&L Strat for £999 is a nice deal. 
  • I bought a US made S500 off a forum member a few years back. It's an excellent guitar and better than any Strat I've played (although a bit different). I found I needed a ballsier bridge pickup for the bands I'm in so swapped the MFD for an Oil City Masterwound Hot Rails and it's pretty much perfect for me now.
  • I had a USA made S500 ages ago. I often hear the phrase stated about guitars 'I just can't put it down'. With the S500, it was more a case of 'I just can't lift it up'. The fucker was 10.5lbs!!!!

A Strat, weighing 10.5lbs, WTF?!?!?!?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    I did go on GuitarGuitars website as well as Anderson's and noticed they were identical price-wise. ☹️
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    duotone said:
    I did go on GuitarGuitars website as well as Anderson's and noticed they were identical price-wise. ☹️
    Of course. Anderton’s, GG and PMT are buying them in as a group. 
    Whitecat said:
    duotone said:
    But is price fixing allowed?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28734
    duotone said:
    Whitecat said:
    duotone said:
    Things being sold for the same price isn't necessarily an indication of price-fixing.

They presumably all buy them for the same price; they presumably all need to put the same markup on to stay in business.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    duotone said:
    Whitecat said:
    duotone said:
    Of course not. But this is no different to any other brand. Shops stick to a MAP online - if you ring them up or go visit maybe you can score a better deal...
    I see what you mean, online you can't get them to price match as they are indentical.  But in store as you say, you should be able to get something knocked off the price depending on the store.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    This is a sad time for the industry IMO. Not only is price fixing not allowed (and that is exactly what is happening here, make no mistake) but it’s going to have a negative impact on not only the independent stores but also the reliability of recommendation from a consumers standpoint. How can they trust a company that has more than the usual interest in selling a product?

Even just with G&L (I mean do you think they will stop there? I don’t), it puts the independent in a position where the USA Fender Line is being undercut by basically a USA Fender equivenlent line that they have zero opportunity to buy and sell at the same prices.

Then the consumer goes in to said independent after maybe hearing the Andertons spiel or perhaps even previously visiting the store to get the “looking at a Strat? Why not try a G&L? They are just as good and only £999. Honestly guv! Would I lie to you?”  and asks “can you do me a deal on a Strat because Andertons have these G&L guitars that are just as good for £999? No? Ok then I’ll buy from them (or PMT or GG as it’s all the same!). 

Its not only strangling the already struggling Independents but it’s also going to affect Forum favourites Peach and Coda - imagine if they do a deal with Mesa next? Great if you want one I guess but terrible for places stocking boutique equivalents at higher prices. It’s not like they can afford to group together and take massive orders to cut out distribution. 

Thos can be sugar coated many ways but this is not a good thing IMO. 

edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    duotone said:
    Whitecat said:
    duotone said:
    only wrong if in writing/contract as part of an agreement and agreed stocking/pricing policy - This is just an accident !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Honest guv !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tFB Trader
    Adamski said:
    This is a sad time for the industry IMO. Not only is price fixing not allowed (and that is exactly what is happening here, make no mistake) but it’s going to have a negative impact on not only the independent stores but also the reliability of recommendation from a consumers standpoint. How can they trust a company that has more than the usual interest in selling a product?

Even just with G&L (I mean do you think they will stop there? I don’t), it puts the independent in a position where the USA Fender Line is being undercut by basically a USA Fender equivenlent line that they have zero opportunity to buy and sell at the same prices.

Then the consumer goes in to said independent after maybe hearing the Andertons spiel or perhaps even previously visiting the store to get the “looking at a Strat? Why not try a G&L? They are just as good and only £999. Honestly guv! Would I lie to you?”  and asks “can you do me a deal on a Strat because Andertons have these G&L guitars that are just as good for £999? No? Ok then I’ll buy from them (or PMT or GG as it’s all the same!). 

Its not only strangling the already struggling Independents but it’s also going to affect Forum favourites Peach and Coda - imagine if they do a deal with Mesa next? Great if you want one I guess but terrible for places stocking boutique equivalents at higher prices. It’s not like they can afford to group together and take massive orders to cut out distribution. 

I don't think the buying consortium between GG,  Andertons and PMT (called GAP) will stop here - but what lines next, then who knows

Mesa do have a distributor in the UK, but granted GAP will have enough firepower for an exclusive direct to market if required, that will see a price reduction

G&L at the time was under financed/promoted within the UK - You could apply this to many of the none top name brands in that they have been distributed by small concerns with low investment for stock/promotion

They could for instance go after Duesenberg, Rickenbacker, Mesa, Tokai etc for starters

I don't see them going after small boutique lines like Anderson, Fano etc as they would prefer a store like Coda, Peach etc were you get more of a personal knowledgeable service from a store that loves the product and doesn't just see it as a commodity