A gentleman with Parkinsons...

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
Has expressed an interest to buy my ES-275 (not from this forum). I've offered to take it to see him with no obligation of course (in fact he has a guitar to sell before he can do it). He's interested because of it's size and light weight. As he doesn't get out to see guitars, and mine might not suit him, are there any alternative recommendations? He strikes me as an archtop guy, so I can suggest an ES-339, which might be a bit heavier, and an ES-330, which might be a bit big, but - anything else? 

Cheers.
Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    A Thinline Tele might be an alternative, I reckon
    Call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    PRS Hollowbody.

The lightest, smallest electric guitar I've ever owned. Disconcertingly so for me, in fact...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If you have access to one, a B&G Little Sister. Crossroads version for less than half the dosh...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    DB1 said:
    This.
    Put a humbucker in the neck and turn down the tone pot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14413
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    PRS Hollowbody.

The lightest, smallest electric guitar I've ever owned. Disconcertingly so for me, in fact...
    probably the guitar I play the most - jazz/blues/swing etc - Kenny Burrell, to Robben Ford and Setzer in between that
    JerkMoans said:
    If you have access to one, a B&G Little Sister. Crossroads version for less than half the dosh...
    I never thought of that - I like them!
    Call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    JerkMoans said:
    If you have access to one, a B&G Little Sister. Crossroads version for less than half the dosh...
    I never thought of that - I like them!
    I played open the other day - Far Eastern version - loads of character - I liked it just a case of will it do what you want it to  regarding feel/tone
    ICBM said:
    PRS Hollowbody.

probably the guitar I play the most - jazz/blues/swing etc - Kenny Burrell, to Robbn  Ford and Setzer in between that
    That's interesting - I know nothing about PRS's, but had a 408 Artist a few months ago, which was just too small for me. Is the 408 smaller than the Hollowbody? I know - why don't I check the @guitars4you website? :-)

Call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    DB1 said:
    ICBM said:
    PRS Hollowbody.

probably the guitar I play the most - jazz/blues/swing etc - Kenny Burrell, to Robbn  Ford and Setzer in between that
    That's interesting - I know nothing about PRS's, but had a 408 Artist a few months ago, which was just too small for me. Is the 408 smaller than the Hollowbody? I know - why don't I check the @guitars4you website? :-)

got none in stock at the moment - generally wide/fat neck profile - Slightly deeper body than a Custom/408 - totally hollow body (hence name) other than a small block to support the bridge assembly - same size body as a 408, but deeper 
    Cheers - another thought might be the ES-135, although it's a bit bigger. Actually a Godin Montreal/Jazz would probably work.
    Call me Dave.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    octatonic said:
    DB1 said:
    This.
    Put a humbucker in the neck and turn down the tone pot.
    G&L Bluesboy semi-hollow has a humbucker in the neck already and sounds pretty warm to my ears. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited September 2018
    DB1 said:

Is the 408 smaller than the Hollowbody?
    I'm pretty sure the body outlines are identical, but the Hollowbody is slightly bigger because it's deeper and has a carved back. The one I had - which admittedly had been refinished rather aggressively at some point and may have been sanded quite heavily - weighed under 5lb!

So technically not the smallest, since I've owned several other PRSs with the same body shape but the conventional flat back - and a couple of Rickenbacker 400/600-series, which are also tiny - but the PRS Hollowbody felt much smaller than any of them because there was no sensation of holding anything other than the neck, really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, thanks. I got that  sensation with the 408, (as I play sitting down) it felt as if it was all neck, and the body was just too small for me. 
    Call me Dave.
    Thanks for the suggestions - as it happens, he lives between me and Sheffield, which is only about 15 minutes or so out of my way, so I'll call in, leave it with him for a couple of hours, and harrass the chaps at Richtone for a bit.
    Call me Dave.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    What guitar is he selling? I fancy having a go at this flipping that seems to be all the rage at the moment.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All day I've resisted the temptation to ask what you would do if he started playing Shaking All Over.  I can no longer I am afraid.  Apologies its a dreadful disease

its a dreadful disease
    But not entirely without hope.

(Especially from 4'00" onward.)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @Blaendulais make your way over to the naughty step.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, lord no - I've been resisting the temptation to mention 'Whole Lotta Shakin' - that makes me a bad person as well. As it was, he was a lovely bloke and even offered me money for taking the guitar to him. Honestly, sometimes I love the whole buying and selling thing. I should probably add that I refused. :-)

He has a Martin 000-18 for sale, which I liked very much. In fact, we spent so much time talking and jamming (him very well, me not so much) that I was late getting up to Sheffield, the traffic was horrible, and I turned round without going to Richtone.

But, at the risk of sounding a bit bloody pious, it was a good day well spent meeting a nice chap who loves guitars. I don't know if he'll buy the ES-275 and I don't know if I'll buy the Martin, but that's a minor detail. :-)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    tell him to take CBD oil regularly and he can then play  any guitar he wants... it really works.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>