Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SGs - various models and used market

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
I have 2 confessions:

1. I've never owned, but often admired , the Gibson SG
2. I completely lost track with various model varations in the modern market so struggle with understanding what's what used and their sensible prices

For me an SG has a bound neck, and is in a classic colour (cherry, white, or plain mahogany) and has either a batwing plate (acceptable) or a '61 style plate (preferable, but not a deal breaker) 

What model names am I looking out for and what cost-cutting variations am I avoiding? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you are particular about the neck profile then this would be another question I'd ask as some of them have flat and wide necks and others have a more rounded profile which in my book makes a huge difference to feel and playability 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27220
    edited September 2018
    Generally, and in the modern ranges (1990 onwards)...

Special = no binding, dots, open humbuckers, mostly batwing. Usually BIG necks.
    Special Faded = as Special but with "faded" finish and an ebony fretboard on the early ones (2003 and 2004-ish)
    Classic = binding, dots, P90s, batwing. 
    Standard = binding, trap inlays, covered humbuckers, mostly batwing but some with small guard since 2012-ish. 
    61 RI = binding, traps, most vintagey neck joint and horn carving, covered humbuckers, small guard and sometimes a maestro trem

Over the last decade they've variously fucked about with that so you have Tribute models which are basically Specials with different pickups, and Standards with P90s. 

Essentially, anything called Standard should see you right. Great guitars
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW I like ABR-1 bridges, which were phased out around 2001, so anything before that is good.

Worth considering a pickup upgrade, as they're often specced with the 490r/498t set, which are great for Stereophonics-type rock, but not so subtle for lighter styles. They're actually a great guitar for clean-ish stuff if you put something more PAF-y in there.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
    FThey're actually a great guitar for clean-ish stuff if you put something more PAF-y in there.
    Cheers for all that - yep sounds like Standard or 61 are my bag

And yep I hate the 490/498 pickups - 57 Classics are my fave PAF type 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    FThey're actually a great guitar for clean-ish stuff if you put something more PAF-y in there.
    Cheers for all that - yep sounds like Standard or 61 are my bag

And yep I hate the 490/498 pickups - 57 Classics are my fave PAF type 
    Wis for that. I have 57s in my own SG and they're great. Mine are alnico 3 rather than the usual al2, which I think make them a tad snappier. 

Some of the Standard models since 2012 have come with 57s, but I'm not sure which tbh. You'd have to google n a per-model-year basis (thanks, Henry!)
  • Picked up a great priced 2011 Std. last week on a com sale in my local guitar shop.
    Necks vary dep on year.
    Still trying to work out pup type. 
    Ace guitars...happy boy!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    There was also the 61 contour on the 13 standards.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
    Things like contour I really don't care about.

Neck profile might however be a thing hmm. I like a good round 50s style neck.

My R7 and PRS DGT are my fave necks, closely followed by a Warmoth '59 roundback' neck I have 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    Things like contour I really don't care about.

Neck profile might however be a thing hmm. I like a good round 50s style neck.

My R7 and PRS DGT are my fave necks, closely followed by a Warmoth '59 roundback' neck I have 
    The 50s tribute model I had had an amazing neck. It was really chunky & immensely comfortable, add in the P90s & I wonder why the hell I sold it!*

*just remembered- It was because the neck felt SO long & the whole guitar seemed to be 2" to the left of where I wanted it to be. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I have a 2008 Standard in a nice orangey cherry red (the hue varies depending on the lighting), has a nice 50s rounded neck. The only thing I don't like is the batwing pickguard, much prefer the smaller style but it's a nice guitar so I let it slide. The 490r/498t actually aren't bad in an SG imo if you're playing hard rock etc. They work better in the thinner body than they do in a LP. The trick to getting the neck to hang in the right position is to sling it down your right side slightly and tilt the neck up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Classic or faded models. Must have p90s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4930
    No doubt Rocker will be along in a bit to tell you not to bother on account of neck-dive. 

I've had 3 SG's (still have 2 of them) and I've had no such issues - I simply use a wide strap.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    edited September 2018
    I have a late 90s standard, I really like the 490 and 498 pickups. I've been a bit narked off by Gibson as they seem to have diluted the resell value of SGs over the last five years by releasing a million variants. Personally some of the SG faded guitars have felt incredibly cheap, getting a new Gibson for 400 quid really affects the quality. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I have had a real awakening to SG’s. 

I have bought two LP’s lately and an SG Standard. and the SG has quickly become my go to guitar in my house. It does everything I need it to do and sounds fantastic! 

Don’t discount those 490/498 pickups, they sound great in the SG but yes rubbish in a LP. They clean up quite well too. 

Use a large strap and there’s no dive. 

Light weight, sounds huge, can do clean, can do rock, can do subtle and has unparalleled upper fret access. Just brilliant. 
  • Try as many as you can coz they differ. Only pay what you think it's worth to you.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    You don't really need a wide or grippy strap if you get a good well balanced one. Mine balances nicely on a Couch racer strap which isn't particularly grippy or wide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    You don't really need a wide or grippy strap if you get a good well balanced one. Mine balances nicely on a Couch racer strap which isn't particularly grippy or wide.
    Same here. I have mine on a regular Levys cotton one and it's fine.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    shaunm said:
    I have had a real awakening to SG’s. 

I have bought two LP’s lately and an SG Standard. and the SG has quickly become my go to guitar in my house. It does everything I need it to do and sounds fantastic! 

Don’t discount those 490/498 pickups, they sound great in the SG but yes rubbish in a LP. They clean up quite well too. 

Use a large strap and there’s no dive. 

Light weight, sounds huge, can do clean, can do rock, can do subtle and has unparalleled upper fret access. Just brilliant. 
    Is that my SG? ;)
  • Had a 2007 Classic with P90s. The neck was fairly slim compared to my 93 LP studio. No neck dive whatsoever, lovely guitar. Pretty sure the lower horn was shorter than the top. Not sure where it ended up, think @impmann had it from me? 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12677
    Yup, it went to @ChrisMusic in the end - I wish I’d kept it actually...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.