Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SGs - various models and used market

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7552
    impmann said:
    My 94 SG Special (gloss) came with god-knows what original pickups... they were good for da gainz and rawk but sounded pretty vile clean, imho.

I changed out to Classic 57s (that most seem to hate) and it was massively improved. I could make those Robbie Kreiger psych rock sounds, it could do warm cleans and yet it could still rock like a bastard.

Ive kept it yet other SGs have come and gone (including a posh Standard, a P90 Classic etc). I won’t part with it - it’s a blinding guitar. Although I do still want a Jeff Tweedy signature one...
    I think the only reason 57 Classics have anything other than an amazing reputation is because they were the stock pickup for a long time in a lot of Gibsons so the internet-wisdom-crowd who needed to justify their pickup-conveyer-belt slagged them.

The Les Paul Forum had a massive blind test of PAF-types years ago : cue much humble pie when the 57 Classic got picked as fave more than the darlings-of-the-day booteek handwound stuff. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom