Pre amp valves for warmth.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
I have a Hughes and Kettering Puretone head powered by 2 x 12AX7 and 2 z EL34. It has at the moment a set of TAD preamp tubes, which can sound cold at times. Can anybody recommend a set of preamp tubes that would give some warmth and not sound brittle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    JJs or Sovtek WBs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I thought this thread was going to be about justifying the purchase of a new amp, based on the fact that winter is drawing near.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah when I get cold and the radiator stops working I just switch a few amps on :)
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Unless you're going NOS, it's JJ or Sovtek. I hear good things about Sovtek's RI Tungsols.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    tekbow said:

I hear good things about Sovtek's RI Tungsols.
    Those are bright in my experience, and sometimes noisy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    ICBM said:
    tekbow said:

I hear good things about Sovtek's RI Tungsols.
    Those are bright in my experience, and sometimes noisy.
    Number 4 on my V1 comparison vid was a RI Tung sol, or at least a specc'd variation of one.

There's genuinely not much choice these days in terms of current production.

6N4-J' s are nice and not much more expensive than current production.Made in the 80s to early 90s at the "Beijing factory". Don't seem to have the brittleness of current Chinese tubes with similar design. Mesa, Marshall used em OEM back then.