Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

King of tone - my wait is over but...

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
I'm not sure if I want it. I know I can flip it for roughly 400 but seems a bit of faff for £100.

What are people's opinions of the kot a few years down the line? Are there any must have extras?
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    edited September 2018
    I bought a V2 in 2007 from a friend and still have it. He sold it to me as he got the V4. I've used both extensively. It is a good pedal. The red overdrive works better at home volumes IMHO. It does bland out a bit in a large band. The yellow channel is a good boost or used at unity adds something to the sound. 

I wanted one having tried two V2s one at home and one in rehearsal with a variety of amps. My experience was that I had heard them, wanted them and bought one at a reasonable price. I cancelled my V4 when my name came up. 

I think that if one waits for years and gets one for £300 people tend to ask why a it's 'worth' £400 and b why isnt it the best pedal ever. 

At the recent Water Rats Jam I made a bourd with the King Of Tone, Fulldrive 2, Friedman BE and a silver Klon for @Brooco to try. He basically tried all the pedals, went back to the Klon and used it all the time. 

I rotate my pedals and dont use my KOT much but wont sell it either. It's a good pedal but a Klon(e) suits my needs better. 
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    FWIW I bought one that somebody wanted to make on just so I could try out the hype for myself.

I didn't pay too much over the odds so that never bothered me but although I had it for 2 years I couldn't get on with it. I tried it pushing my amp overdrive and a stand alone overdrive in the clean channel. 

The overdrive side had "hard" mids to me and I never got a sound I liked with any guitar on that side. The other side was ok but I could never stack both sides and be happy. I tried everything with the dip switches but it just wasn't my sound. 

It sat on my board unused and I realised I was keeping it just to have it! Crazy. So I sold it.

I'm in the minority because most people rave about it. Good luck whichever way you go.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I had one.... it was good, but not £400 good. As others have found, it probably sounds best at volume.  :)
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I think they all have the capability to go to 18v now for extra headroom. I'm thinking about another with higher gain on the OD side. You're only loosing a little of the initial low gain range of the regular one, and i don't ever set my drive level that low.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7772
    edited September 2018
    I dont think its special at all. I'd rather have a visual sound xs-xo for dual function, or a Timmy if I want a neutral drive. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I still have mine from a 2004 order / 2006 delivery. I think it's great. IMHO people make the mistake of going for the high-gain option, when the standard config is where this pedal is at.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Jack,

A good, solid pedal - Probably realistically over hyped and over priced...

Works well with a cooking amp, but not so at low volumes,.

As ever, YMMV...
  • Something coming out from one of the big boys soon that sounds exactly the same as is much cheaper... only one side though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Wampler Pantheon.in 3 days time??
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Mines been on my board for around 6 years. Others come and go but the KOT remains.

Some points to consider:

It’s two pedals in one box. At £300 that’s not bad. £400 is pushing it.

Works with all guitars and all amps.

It’s a bluesbreaker circuit. Pushed mids, slightly rolled off bass. You need to like this style to enjoy the KOT.

The boost mode is world class, the others are average. Keep it in boost mode and crank the gain.

It’s not known for heavy OD or distortion, it’s all about the low gain. So don’t expect it to be something it’s not.

I really enjoy it at all volumes.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    edited September 2018
    I had a mki bluesbreaker years ago very low gain and not much treble, the lot is better sounding and two channels.
  • Something coming out from one of the big boys soon that sounds exactly the same as is much cheaper... only one side though 
    Already have one ordered. Can’t wait. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• So in answer to the original question, I have my KOT on order but have a POT. It’s the only pedal that’s been consistent in my set up. It just does a thing that’s hard to put my finger on. Like a Klon but not and so much more versatile. 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    It's a good pedal. Some question its financial value/cost but it's a good pedal particularly through a cranked amp.imho 

Put it another way- buy it. Make it realtively standard and don't over spec it. If you then love it, keep it. If you don't, flip it. Win win
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I'm going to try the Wampler version...
  • Genuine question; has anyone modelled it yet? I'm talking Kemper / Helix level modelling, not a fizzy practice amp. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Genuine question; has anyone modelled it yet? I'm talking Kemper / Helix level modelling, not a fizzy practice amp. 
    I'm at the mothership in LA at the moment. It's on my suggestions list for Helix when I get to sit down with the guys. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JHS have a bluesbreaker inspired pedal, anyone tried it or put it up against the KOT?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    As good as it is, the @ThorpyFX Danish offering is as good if not better and of similar voice.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    As good as it is, the @ThorpyFX Danish offering is as good if not better and of similar voice.
    That was kind of what I was thinking. 
    I'm not sure I particularly want that sound to be honest. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.