Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

King of tone - my wait is over but...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    tekbow said:
    Ok, so £350 (inc options) is expensive for what it is?

What it is, is effectively 2 well voiced, well built OD's in a single box.

Is £175 quid outrageous for a single OD these days? I would argue no, it's increasingly common.

I totally get where you are coming from but that wouldn't work for me.

The boost side of the KOT I would pay the money for but the other side, set for overdrive, I would not want to pay £175 for.

There are so many better overdrive pedals out there than the high gain side of a KOT.

It almost feels weird criticising the hallowed ground the KOT occupies but it didn't work out for me. I am perhaps in the minority but so be it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    It's not weird to criticise, nothing is above criticism.

But among some there's an almost ideological rejection of certain grail pedals in opposition to the almost cult like devotion among others that overrides common sense.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

For me it's worth the money because I can separately add volume, or saturation on certain guitars (usually single coils)to equalise volume with humbuckers and do so without changing the voice of my amp.

And it does it better than any other pedals I've tried to achieve that with.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    @tekbow ;  I'm glad you like your pedal and I would not wish to disuade you because it works for you.

I had my KOT for 2 years , tried it with all my guitars, amps and in all ways but I just found it nothing special. A good pedal but not a great pedal for me. 

Good job we are all different or their would be no choice!
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Absolutely, some people think certain amps are the greatest ever made, some of them think the same amp is a can of bees. Sound is subjective.

All I was trying to do is frame the KOT in context, which you've understood.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited September 2018
    The high gain option could be misleading to some people. It doesn’t mean the distortion setting just goes to a higher gain, it means all 3 modes go to higher gain. This gets more out of the boost mode. I’d go high gain on both sides if ordering again.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited September 2018
    tekbow said:
    Ok, so £350 (inc options) is expensive for what it is?

What it is, is effectively 2 well voiced, well built OD's in a single box.

Is £175 quid outrageous for a single OD these days? I would argue no, it's increasingly common.

I think that’s a smidge less than Wampler’s new Prince of Klone