Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is your 'always on' pedal??

What's Hot

Comments

• OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Ethos Overdrive clean channel.

Warm, broad, deep, sparkly ...it's like listening to a professionally recorded, expensively produced and fully mastered guitar - even when the sound is emanating from a Blues Junior!
    Wow! Is it really that good? Looks like it's 250 quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DOD Looking Glass low gain setting - seems to make everything sound better, clean or going into amp or pedal dirt.
  • As of reading this thread yesterday, I've set my Soul Food up to buffer everything up to the same level as the direct guitar-amp signal.
    I didn't expect such a difference.
    It's now my always on
  • ThorpyFX "The Dane" with the Boost on low. This is the first pedal, that I've bought, that seemed great straight out of the box, and I'm still very impressed with it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wampler Ego & Source Audio EQ.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • Onpar said:
    Ethos Overdrive clean channel.

Warm, broad, deep, sparkly ...it's like listening to a professionally recorded, expensively produced and fully mastered guitar - even when the sound is emanating from a Blues Junior!
    Wow! Is it really that good? Looks like it's 250 quid.
    At $400+, it is not cheap, but it's not just an overdrive pedal.  It's a two channel pre-amp and recording interface.  That having been said, the OD functions are outrageous. The clean channel goes from Hi-Fi clean to glorious saturation and the drive channel does gritty crunch through smooth Carlton / Ford / Dumble-ish OD to flat-out fuzz.

It is ridiculously flexible, absolutely indispensable (to me) - and, most importantly for this thread, quite literally always on.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    LR Baggs Align Session, just makes the acoustic sound that little bit sweeter. I clicked it on when it arrived and haven't clicked it off, only goes off at power down
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Fairfield Circuitry Accountant and Barbershop on relatively subtle settings. Both seem to add character to the sound without taking over
  • Rothwell Love Squeeze for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    Chase Tone Secret Pre amp ..... yeah !
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4537
    BBE Sonic Stomp
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2018
    Been looking through this thread to get some ideas for a new boost pedal and I'm none the wiser! Started playing more with the jubilee on the rhythm clip mode and I like how it feels less compressed and more of a raw old school tone than the lead channel but it's not quite got enough thickness/saturation for my liking. I bought a Caline Orange Burst to try but it's too compressed for a rhythm tone for me, much like a tubescreamer is. I want something that retains the same tone but a bit more gain and fatness without going all compressed and 80s, if that's even possible! Maybe the Pure Sky Timmy clone ?

Had a soul food before which seemed good for the lead channel as a "more" button but I never messed with it on the rhythm clip at the time.
  • FZ-2 gain boost maxed!!
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    TTBZ said:
    Been looking through this thread to get some ideas for a new boost pedal...
    What amp are you using?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2018
    Slimbert said:
    TTBZ said:
    What amp are you using?
    Mini Jubilee. After some more high volume playing and tweaking today I think I may have been too quick to dismiss the Orange Burst/BB Preamp - with the right settings it can be pretty much transparent then tweaked to taste from there at the lower volumes I tried it at initially it sounds exactly the same as my tubescreamer but much different when it's opened up a bit! That said might try a BD2 as I hate knocking the controls on normal pedals, Boss design is by far the best!
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    TTBZ said:
    Slimbert said:
    TTBZ said:
    What amp are you using?
    Mini Jubilee. After some more high volume playing and tweaking today I think I may have been too quick to dismiss the Orange Burst/BB Preamp - with the right settings it can be pretty much transparent then tweaked to taste from there at the lower volumes I tried it at initially it sounds exactly the same as my tubescreamer but much different when it's opened up a bit! That said might try a BD2 as I hate knocking the controls on normal pedals, Boss design is by far the best!
    Volume plays a massive part in how our ears interpret sound and tone. Some of that is the way the valves are being driven, the signal the amp receives, and also due to the way a speaker(s) travels differently at different volumes.

My favourite guitar sounds have always been based on a mixture of all three of those things. A driven signal into a driven amp at a loud  volume. There's nothing quite like it for me.

I never fully decide on a pedal until it has been used in anger. Especially gain/boost pedals as volume changes those types of pedals so much by the time those resulting sound waves hit my ears.

Sorry for waffling!

Sounds like you've got pretty much exactly what you were looking for. If you fancy trying a couple of different things for reference, drop me a message and I'll stick something in the post for you to give the once over. It'll only cost you the return postage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have only recently started buying pedals, but my clear favourite so far - and also the cheapest - is the NUX chorus pedal.  It goes really well with my Goth Explorer.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited October 2018
    Verb and a comp. I normally reside in cleantoneland though. No verb makes me sad. Comp with just a bit of squish and a healthy dose of volume to give the amp a wee push.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    For years it was the Fulltone OCD - gain down very low with volume up high. Recently the Timmy replaced it, using similar settings. I almost never play completely clean, and as someone above put it, the Timmy just adds a tiny bit of hair to the sound that brings some life to the tone. If I'm playing a strat my compressor (Wampler Ego) is almost always on as well.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay .... Delay ....