PRS Dealers

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Funny how things change, I just had a look at World Guitars stock and they only have three new PRS in stock and they are all from 2016/17. Wonder if they are stopping doing them? When Jeff was alive they always had large stocks, now it seems like GG, Wildwire and Music Street are the main stockists for the brand. So many other dealers like Guitars4You ,Mansons and Sounds Great are no longer stockists either. Wonder why? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GG and Peach have a few. Think things are a bit different with WG and PRS nowadays for one reason or another.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Maybe PRS are going for the Box Shifters ?
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Sound Affects in Ormskirk are still a large PRS dealer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Seems a shame that their old school original dealers are no longer selling them. Always have a love/hate relationship with the brand myself, but I do quite fancy this one. Not often you see a swamp ash bodied Custom with maple neck....

https://images.guitarguitar.co.uk/cdn/large/130/170428310209007-655031f.jpg?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • World Guitars also had Musicman and recently G&L, then stopped. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    World Guitars also had Musicman and recently G&L, then stopped. 
    I suspect they dropped G&L because they didn’t want to compete with the GAK/Andertons/PMT consortium that was basically becoming the new U.K. importer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472

Guitar Village have a good selection of PRS, and there is a 15% discount this weekend in the Boss Gone Mad Sale.

Coda have a good few PRS as well.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14411
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Funny how things change, I just had a look at World Guitars stock and they only have three new PRS in stock and they are all from 2016/17. Wonder if they are stopping doing them? When Jeff was alive they always had large stocks, now it seems like GG, Wildwire and Music Street are the main stockists for the brand. So many other dealers like Guitars4You ,Mansons and Sounds Great are no longer stockists either. Wonder why? 
    I can only answer for my self and it was a while ago now that I stopped selling new PRS Guitars - Can't vouch for other dealers - I think there are still few good independents with a good selection like Wild Wire, Sound Affects, Peach

But it is an interesting question and I don't really have any specific answers - Only a few maybe's
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2018
    Guessing during Jeffs tenure at Machinehead he nurtured a close relationship with Paul and PRS from day one, back then there were no real 'boutique' brands so Guess PRS fitted the bill for people looking for something 'high end' other than Fender and Gibson. Fast forward to WG and the whole 'its a high end guitar thing' they practically pioneered the boutique guitar outlet with more high end brands under one roof. Nowadays there a much more brand availability  so i wonder with Jeff sadly departing has meant the old relationship with PRS went whilst newer ones developed with more growth potential in other brands for the new owners?

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Guessing during Jeffs tenure at Machinehead he nurtured a close relationship with Paul and PRS from day one, back then there were no real 'boutique' brands so Guess PRS fitted the bill for people looking for something 'high end' other than Fender and Gibson. Fast forward to WG and the whole 'its a high end guitar thing' they practically pioneered the boutique guitar outlet with more high end brands under one roof. Nowadays there a much more brand availability  so i wonder with Jeff sadly departing has meant the old relationship with PRS went whilst newer ones developed with more growth potential in other brands for the new owners?
    I’d wager it’s something along these lines. PRS prices have gone crazy in the past few years - it makes sense for them to focus on other exclusives. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited September 2018
    Peach and Sound Affects stock lots.

As I understand it, once they took distribution in-house they imposed similar minimum stocking policies as Gibson & Fender. For smaller dealers this meant tying too much cash up in one brand.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9387
    I heard they sell direct at the National dentist conference these days
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78 said:
    I heard they sell direct at the National dentist conference these days
    Open your wallet wide and say Aaaaaaaarggghhhh
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    I've never actually met a dentist that plays (or rather hangs them on walls) a PRS. I used to have a lot of dentist clients who seemed to be more obsessed with wasting their ££'s on sports cars.
    I wouldn't say that WG pioneered the 'boutique guitar outlet' either, that credit in the UK must surely go to Chandler of Kew.They were selling gear that no one had heard of back in the 80's and were responsible for bringing Tom Anderson and PRS to the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    I've never actually met a dentist that plays (or rather hangs them on walls) a PRS. I used to have a lot of dentist clients who seemed to be more obsessed with wasting their ££'s on sports cars.
    I wouldn't say that WG pioneered the 'boutique guitar outlet' either, that credit in the UK must surely go to Chandler of Kew.They were selling gear that no one had heard of back in the 80's and were responsible for bringing Tom Anderson and PRS to the UK.
    Agree that in the late 70's and early 80's I was influenced by Chandlers - There adverts, what they stocked and even visited the store once for inspiration, so yes certainly an early influence of a boutique based guitar store - Maybe just before my time but wasn't Top Gear/Denmark Street run on a similar ethos in the early 70's
    False alarm, WG just posted a pic of a huge PRS delivery! :) 
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    False alarm, WG just posted a pic of a huge PRS delivery! :) 
    that's how rumours start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  - Still, in the past would you have ever expected one of the major UK PRS dealers ever get down to only 30 left in stock, let alone 20, 10 or 3 - something still a bit weird about it
    Strat54 said:
    Agree that in the late 70's and early 80's I was influenced by Chandlers - There adverts, what they stocked and even visited the store once for inspiration, so yes certainly an early influence of a boutique based guitar store - Maybe just before my time but wasn't Top Gear/Denmark Street run on a similar ethos in the early 70's
    Absolutely. There's a superb community page for Top Gear on Facebook and people post all the old pics.

https://www.facebook.com/Top-Gear-Music-London-289183784906634/

Chandlers was a place of wonder too back in the day. Don't think I ever left the store without buying a guitar or something. 
    Their clientele was enviable too. Shame it all went pear shaped. Doug was a super nice guy and an incredibly fair dealer. 
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Absolutely. There's a superb community page for Top Gear on Facebook and people post all the old pics.

Chandlers was a place of wonder too back in the day. Don't think I ever left the store without buying a guitar or something. 
    Their clientele was enviable too. Shame it all went pear shaped. Doug was a super nice guy and an incredibly fair dealer. 
    saw that facebook page some while ago - interesting pics

Still speak to Doug occasionally via Collings - Not sure how much longer he'll wish to be involved with such a distribution channel - Not easy today
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Strat54 said:
    Strat54 said:

saw that facebook page some while ago - interesting pics

Still speak to Doug occasionally via Collings - Not sure how much longer he'll wish to be involved with such a distribution channel - Not easy today

Don't know Doug that well.  I live just under 2 miles from where Chandlers was, and I spent a lot of money in there, but that was after Doug left.

I'd guess he's reaching the kind of age where he would be thinking about retirement anyway.  I know Chandlers didn't appear to be doing that well the last few years, but Paula seemed to be wanting to retire anyway.  She wasn't running it day to day.