So my neck is shimmed?

What's Hot

Comments

• @ICBM is correct - the factory shim in my 64 versus the full length shim made no noticeable difference. I swapped mine for a full length purely for ease and aesthetics. 

I wouldn’t say that a shim is a bad thing in any way shape or from. Without it, my 64 would be unplayable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72860
    robgilmo said:
    So that being said, why is it that body material is said to effect sound? Are we looking at bridge contact?
    Because the body resonates and the bridge and the pickups are both mounted on it, so it colours the pickup sound slightly. (Very slightly, by some reckoning.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:
    So that being said, why is it that body material is said to effect sound? Are we looking at bridge contact?
    Because the body resonates and the bridge and the pickups are both mounted on it, so it colours the pickup sound slightly. (Very slightly, by some reckoning.)
    And ultimately a guitar is a mix of a lot of different things that will actually affect output sound, including:

Scale length
    String gauge and material
    Nut
    Bridge type and material
    Saddle type and material
    Neck joint type/through neck
    Pickup type, magnet type, spacing and position
    Body material type
    Neck and fingerboard material
    What you actually hit the strings with..
    Electonics including caps, pots, wiring etc
    And then of course ultimately what you choose to amplify it..

All these different elements can be varied and changed and will all have a subtle influence on how it sounds - some a lot more than others. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3670
    edited September 2018
    I was wondering because my Strat has a floating trem at the moment and a shimmed neck but when I play it acoustically I can feel it resonating on my knee, even though its Ash body.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmo said:
    I was wondering because my Strat has a floating trem at the moment and a shimmed neck but when I play it acoustically I can feel it resonating on my knee, even though its Ash body.
    Careful - your knee might be affecting the tone ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16853
    Most electrics are built with very solid neck joins that have neck and body vibrating as one.  

Acoustics have much smaller neck joins ehich which interfere with the bodies vibrations a bit less..  with the violin family it’s even less.  The transfer from body to neck is minimal

interesting things happen when you couple the body and neck in different ways... like the framus we were discussing recently where work to solidify the join added a lot of unwanted vibration elsewhere.

i am liking Schorr guitars at the moment, where the neck connects with 3 points of contact like the nkforster acoustic above.  Fully adjustable too
    http://schorrguitars.de/
    Timbre , tone is all in the elbow.
  • WezV said:
    Most electrics are built with very solid neck joins that have neck and body vibrating as one.  

Acoustics have much smaller neck joins ehich which interfere with the bodies vibrations a bit less..  with the violin family it’s even less.  The transfer from body to neck is minimal

interesting things happen when you couple the body and neck in different ways... like the framus we were discussing recently where work to solidify the join added a lot of unwanted vibration elsewhere.

i am liking Schorr guitars at the moment, where the neck connects with 3 points of contact like the nkforster acoustic above.  Fully adjustable too
    I wonder how the arrangement on my fretless affects body vibration?
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4220
    edited September 2018
    ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:
    Is there any truth in that a shim at the back of the heel can deform it?
    Not that I’ve ever seen. It can indent the body though!
    When I took my Performance apart for respraying, there was a piece of metal mesh in the pocket as a shim; you can see the pattern of it in the neck pocket and on the back of the neck - I'll post photos when I get the guitar back
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited September 2018
    robgilmo said:
    Exactly. Personally I usually find that the most resonant and best-sounding set-up despite conventional wisdom saying it shouldn't be.

skullfunkerry said:

When I took my Performance apart for respraying, there was a piece of metal mesh in the pocket as a shim; you can see the pattern of it in the neck pocket and on the back of the neck - I'll post photos when I get the guitar back
    The purpose of that is to lock the neck firmly in place and stop any movement in the neck pocket. Try to put the mesh back exactly where it was so it doesn't make a new impression.

robgilmo said:
    Well that's me buggered then... unless metal inserts sound better than bone.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmo said:
    Dare you to post a thread entitled “Knee Timbre: how do I improve it?”

• WezVWezV Frets: 16853
    WezV said:

The through neck one?  It’s about as coupled as a body and neck can get.
  • WezV said:
    WezV said:

The through neck one?  It’s about as coupled as a body and neck can get.
    It’s through neck, but for me the interesting difference is the fact that the bridge (what there is of one) is actually the fingerboard - the saddles rest in slots cut into the fingerboard itself, which is then mounted onto the through neck. The strings themselves are anchored into a carbon anchor plate at the back (which is attached to the body)
    robgilmo said:
    Dare you to post a thread entitled “Knee Timbre: how do I improve it?”

Might be an interesting topic, and Jameson made me do it.
  • ICBM said:

skullfunkerry said:

The purpose of that is to lock the neck firmly in place and stop any movement in the neck pocket. Try to put the mesh back exactly where it was so it doesn't make a new impression.

I won't be putting it back together, @lamf68 will be after he's resprayed it. I'll let him know - thanks!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited October 2018
    Thinking about this, would a shim improve the set up? My shimmed strat has a lovely low action and plays beautifully, my Tele does not, I cannot get the action down that low without it buzzing, if I brought the fretboard up at the heel to meet the strings would this enable me to get a lower , more playable action? 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    robgilmo said:
    Thinking about this, would a shim improve the set up? My shimmed strat has a lovely low action and plays beautifully, my Tele does not, I cannot get the action down that low without it buzzing, if I brought the fretboard up at the heel to meet the strings would this enable me to get a lower , more playable action? 
    No, probably not. If it’s buzzing st the top of the neck you need to increase the separation of the strings and the frets. Usually that will mean straightening the neck and raising the bridge.

gringopig said:

I've also seen built in neck angles on a Fano JM6 which has the neck pocket angled to achieve the best neck angle but this is more expensive to achieve as it is a hand created operation for each guitar.
    You mean like 70s Japanese junk Les Paul copies were done? :)

It can be done very easily and more accurately by machine.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Don't Fenders have that little screw thing that negates the need for shims?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    thegummy said:
    Don't Fenders have that little screw thing that negates the need for shims?
    Ah the Micro tilt mehanisms. Not all do though.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom