Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Feel there's not enough sustain in my Les Paul

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBM said:
    It *changes* the tone and sustain, and the feel when bending notes. Some people think for the better, some for the worse, but it does change it. I am in the 'worse' camp on all counts but I know someone, a very good player, who has guitars set up both ways because he has more than one Les Paul and likes the differences. Having done his top-wrap one for him and compared it to his other ones I'm certain it did change the tone and the sustain noticeably.

For some reason it doesn't seem to sound the same to me as raising the tailpiece to the same string height while stringing through normally, even though it theoretically 'should' - but very hard to prove one way or the other. One thing is for sure, it does chew up the back edge of the tailpiece and the plating on top, especially on an aluminium one. Whether this matters to you is also a personal thing. And I think it looks stupid :). But Marc Bolan and Duane Allman did it - for different reasons - so what do I know?

Of course, one other reason is that Gibson don't seem to be able to consistently build Les Pauls with a properly low neck angle, so on some of them you can't have the tailpiece screwed down fully without either top-wrapping or the strings fouling the back of the bridge. Some people think screwing it down tight and top-wrapping sounds better than having it raised up and strung through. If that's the only choice then I would simply find a different Les Paul...
    Excellent info. Font of Knowledge. I’m glad you take the time to write ICBM. 

Also glad l am a strat man who can shim a neck easily and make it right. 

Set neck buyers beware  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    Thanks all - so I'm clear, is it generally better to have the tailpiece as close to the body as you can, or higher up...? I'd imagine the higher the better as less chance of breakage?
  • FarleyUK said:
    Thanks all - so I'm clear, is it generally better to have the tailpiece as close to the body as you can, or higher up...? I'd imagine the higher the better as less chance of breakage?
    String breakage is only an issue if the neck angle is such that the strings foul the rear edge of the bridge with the Stop Tail screwed down. If this is the case, it should be set high enough to allow the strings to clear the rear of the bridge.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    FarleyUK said:
    In my opinion, as low as possible and preferably fully tightened down onto the body. In my opinion they just sound best like that.

If that can't be achieved without the strings pressing on the back of the bridge (the top E is allowed to touch, any more than that is a sign that it's too much) or top-wrapping, then the guitar was built with too steep a neck angle and I wouldn't buy it. To me it doesn't just make it impossible to set up how I would like it - I don't like the feel of the neck being angled that steeply back and I think it alters the balance, makes the guitar feel heavier than it really is, causes tuning problems and steals from the poor.

Just a personal thing - plenty of people are happy with them set higher or actually prefer them like that.

For the tuning problems I think it's because the bridge posts can flex more when they're set too high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Disconnect tone pot
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Similar to the suggestion by @clarkefan about that time (2008) Gibson had deep drilled holes and shortish bridge pins. Look up the mapleflame mod on the Las Paul forum. Essentially trace the pins with stainless steel bolts that bottom out in the holes drilled in the body and cut off to height. Cost is pennies and results are varied but reversible.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    @FarleyUK ; and @ ICBM

This is what ICBM means about neck angle. This guitar is based on the original 59 neck angle and has a very flat neck rake so the bridge sits low to the body. It means the tailpiece can go all the way down to the body and yet the strings don't touch the bridge.
    They steepened the angle later because if you don't get it spot on there is no room for error and if you are a couple of degrees too shallow the strings would hit the pickup covers! 

One nice side effect with a shallow neck angle is that the guitar is very comfortable to play and doesn't rake away from your body.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited October 2018
    If nothing else stop top wrapping because it looks terrible D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GT said:
    They steepened the angle later because if you don't get it spot on there is no room for error and if you are a couple of degrees too shallow the strings would hit the pickup covers!
    If that's true, then that is just plain lazy! The neck angle thing annoys me immensely. The lovely customs with a vintage correct angle (tailpiece to the body included) is proof they can do it "right".
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922

This is how low I've managed to get it. Really looking how it feels and sounds now :)
  • FarleyUK said:

This is how low I've managed to get it. Really looking how it feels and sounds now :)
    So have you given the neck more relief too ? 
    FarleyUK said:

So have you given the neck more relief too ? 
    Yep, just a smidge.
  • Perhaps, you might want to take a look at at some PRS Singlecut models. Never encountered such problems with them.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Why not buy a packet of flat washers, fit them under the tailpiece which is at the height you like and tighten down the bolts?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum