Thinning out but also buying another guitar

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
I have been playing for 9 months now.
I spent 8 months teaching myself following online tutorials but for the last month have been having weekly lessons (which I should have done in the beginning) which TBH has been a revelation having someone sitting in front of me showing me exactly where I am going wrong & also giving structure to my learning.
My first guitar was an awful Rockburn LP copy but I did learn how to fettle on that guitar changing the pups, pots, switch, jack, tuners & wiring & setting it up.
I also realised I liked fettling.
I have since bought 2 more LP copies, both Hohner Rockwood LX250G"s, a Yamaha 611 & 2 old (early 90"s) Yamaha RGX 121"s as I have terrible GAS.
None of the guitars cost much & I would at least get my money back on them all bar possibly the Rockburn but I am probably going to give that to a relative.
I have now decided to sell some of them & am going to keep the Yam 611 & one of the RGX"s that I have put a set of Entwistle pups in.
So I am looking for a single cut twin humbucker LP shaped guitar & have decided that rather than buy something extremely cheap I am going to buy something of reasonably good quality.
I am hesitant to get a Gibson as they seem to be a bit of a minefield.
A Vintage V100 would be an obvious choice but I would like to get something a bit better.
With my experience of Yamaha so far a Yamaha Studio Lord is on my list & also Tokai.
I think I could get a good condition Studio Lord or MIK Tokai for between £500-£600.
Any other suggestions around that price, new or used, that will give a classic rock twin HB sound  & are good quality ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have a look at PRS SE singlecut models - Bernie Marsden, Tremonti, Chris Robertson and SE245. Well built and very good value s/hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    Ive noticed the Yamaha's lately, I think to get a nice one you will have to look at one well up in the numbers.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited September 2018
    There are 2 on ebay now, a SL550S & a SL450S, which I believe are the coil split models, for £475 or offers & £495 or offers  respectively.
    Both have a few dings & scratches but I would guess that £600 would get a cosmetically better condition one ?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    For £500-600 you are in used Gibson Tribute territory, they are great guitars and I don't think you'll find better at that price range.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • baldy said:
    I ... realised I liked fettling.
    Bwa-ha-ha-haaa. Now, you're hooked. People can sell you all sorts of unnecessary stuff. :)

baldy said:
    a Yamaha 611 & 2 old (early 90"s) Yamaha RGX 121s 
    IMO, the PAC 611 should provide a good illustration of how nicely the RGX 121 models could turn out with the addition of professional quality pickups and control circuitry. (I have the PAC 311H. Two American pickups and new controls, it is superb - regardless of the price.) 

baldy said:
    I am looking for a single cut twin humbucker LP shaped guitar ... of reasonably good quality. 
    +1 for the PRS SE range. 

The pre-2012 Crafted In Indonesia Hamer XT range is worth a look. A few examples of the Monaco and Sunburst A/T came with US-made Seymour Duncan pickups. Most examples of these guitars would require upgrade pickups to be retrofitted but, then, the guitars with the "in-house" Hamer pickups might only set you back £250 tops.

For both of these brands, play several. Only buy the outstanding one(s).

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have a Prs Se tremonti (the model with wraparound tailpiece, no trem), with birds which I'm considering moving on..

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    baldy said:
    There are 2 on ebay now, a SL550S & a SL450S, which I believe are the coil split models, for £475 or offers & £495 or offers  respectively.
    Both have a few dings & scratches but I would guess that £600 would get a cosmetically better condition one ?
    There is a dealer on Facebook of Yamahas and he regularly sells these, I'll get you a link, 800 series for not much more type stuff.
  • robgilmo said:
    baldy said:
    There is a dealer on Facebook of Yamahas and he regularly sells these, I'll get you a link, 800 series for not much more type stuff.
    If you mean who I think you mean, then his asking prices are *way* over the odds - at least for the SG series.  So make sure you do some market research before contacting the dealer.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Those Yamaha rgx121 are a great cheap guitar and can become a monster , ideal for modding . 
      If i remember everything i did with mine.... Pickups changed
    Coil split's on a push pull
    Sanded the logo off  - not because it's a cheap Yamaha , i just didn't like the big block logo  . Locking tuners
    Scalloped the neck
    Saddles changes to graphtec
    Change the plastic jack socket to metal and socket.
       (there could be more - it was a while ago )

Did it need any of that doing ? No , they are still good as standard.

I played this for years over other guitars but haven't touched it for a while only because i prefer chunkier necks now .
     What i'm trying to say is that you may have a great guitar there already (if it's set up right)  and you won't necessarily find a something better no matter how much you pay  .

People do love squires , mexican strats & cheap guitars in general .  Expensive guitars are great, will be made of higher quality materials better finished and better built  -  But will they make you a better player ?

I have 2 RGX 121"s, one is stock & one has had a new bridge, Entwistle pups & a new metal jack cover plate fitted by me.
    The non stock one will be the one that is kept as with the Entwistle pups it is very versatile sound wise.
    The Pacifica 611 is stock & is also versatile & will be kept.
    However I hanker after an LP shaped twin HB guitar both for looks & sound.
    I know that a new guitar won"t make me a better player but I have an itch I want to scratch.

robgilmo said:
    baldy said:
    If you mean who I think you mean, then his asking prices are *way* over the odds - at least for the SG series.  So make sure you do some market research before contacting the dealer.
    Could be, does he also use Ebay? Photos always taken outside with wooden back ground? I only noticed these a few days ago so haven't researched prices much.
    @robgilmo do you have a link to his FB page so I can have a look at what he has please ?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1051899961518463?refid=27. ; You might have to join the group, he is always selling zysmaha guitars mostly,  just look through the items for sale.
    Thanks for the link.
    Had a look but no Studio Lords or Tokai"s that I could see. 
    What is for sale is pretty pricey though.
  • robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:
    baldy said:
    Could be, does he also use Ebay? Photos always taken outside with wooden back ground? I only noticed these a few days ago so haven't researched prices much.
    Bingo - guitars reclining on a wooden bench.  Also on eBay.
    He has an SL500 on Ebay which looks nice enough, I dont know much about Yamaha guitars though.
    That one in Cardiff looks nice too.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    edited September 2018
    you don't want a single cut you want a PRS Santana trust me ive been down this road - either buy a les paul or follow my genius advice or buy a tele and load it with sd 1/4 pounders )