Best low to mid-priced Les Paul?

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
edited September 2018 in Guitar
So it seems I've just been mourning the loss of my nice old MIJ Pearl Les Paul ever since I was silly enough to let it go for a daft price. It's my 30th in November plus I'm getting married in a few weeks, so seems to me I have more than enough excuses to treat myself to a new guitar to mark the occasion

Basically I'd love a proper black and gold Gibson LP Custom (my "grail" guitar or whatever you call it) but they're just way too expensive. My budget is £300-500 absolute maximum, the cheaper the better. Don't really like bursts or flame tops, i want something solid black which never goes out of style, preferably with binding but again not essential. I like the neck on my 2008 SG which I believe is a rounded 50s, so ideally something like that would be great!

Looking at the Epiphone LP Custom Pro which I've played and liked, but deep down I know I don't love the headstock shape (although for some reason it's less offensive on the Customs). It could be reshaped in the future I guess, as the rest of the guitar is decent. What else is available with a proper headstock? Tokai MIC UALC60 customs look nice and could possibly be really cheap used, but are they any good? Not so fussed on electrics as I'm a fettler and would likely replace the pickups and harness on whatever i end up getting. So long as the wood and hardware is decent.

Nearer the time I'll be keeping an eye out for another Pearl whilst secretly hoping mine eventually ends up for sale in a HarrySeven clear out

Used Gibson studio might be an option but that'll be right at the top of my budget I think. Not discounting PRS SE245 either.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341

How about this...

http://www.hotroxuk.com/fernandes-burny-guitar-rlc-55-in-black.html

Chinese made,like the Epiphone,but proper headstock shape.Not much info or reviews online but maybe worth a punt at that price.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    Looks ideal! Burnys are pretty well regarded aren't they? Or at least the Japanese ones are.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

How about this...

http://www.hotroxuk.com/fernandes-burny-guitar-rlc-55-in-black.html

Chinese made,like the Epiphone,but proper headstock shape.Not much info or reviews online but maybe worth a punt at that price.

The Chinese Burnys are really good, much better than Epiphone IMO, I’ve had a few. And they’re excellent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    What are the necks like on them? And generally what's the weight like?
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    I'd be looking for an Edwards, excellent quality build with an Ebony fretboard! and more accurate headstock shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Flattish necks, but not huge, mostly light as well about 8lbs

Edwards are a step up, but for your budget you’d need to find a used one
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited September 2018
    Get a used studio with a pro neck repair. I've had two and both have been great. Paid about 400 for them if I remember rightly.
  • Doug said:
    I'd be looking for an Edwards, excellent quality build with an Ebony fretboard! and more accurate headstock shape.
    I had one. Excellent LP- superb build quality. Heavy though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Get a used studio with a pro neck repair. I've had two and both have been great. Paid about 400 for them if I remember rightly.
    How do you go about finding one of those and making sure it's been done properly? I guess just wait for one to pop up on a forum or Facebook.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :) Edwards are a bit out of reach for me at the minute I reckon.
  • There's a used Epi LP in black in the classifieds that looks decent if you can get past that headstock shape
  • Don't rule out a Vintage lemon drop
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited September 2018
    Don't rule out a Vintage lemon drop
    Was looking at those but felt the neck was a bit too thin and flat on the Vintage SG I played, I get hand cramps on anything too thin.

Currently the Chinese Burny is in the lead, is Hot Rox the only place that stocks them in the UK? Will have to take a trip up to their shop for a play :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    TTBZ said:
    Don't rule out a Vintage lemon drop
    Was looking at those but felt the neck was a bit too thin and flat on the Vintage SG I played, I get hand cramps on anything too thin.

Currently the Chinese Burny is in the lead, is Hot Rox the only place that stocks them in the UK? Will have to take a trip up to their shop for a play :)
    According to Google shopping Hot Rox is the only place in the UK who stock them.Richards Guitars used to,if you do a search but no longer by the looks of it.

I was tempted to buy one a few months ago before splashing the extra and getting my used Orville Custom.No regrets so far.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    TTBZ said:

Nearer the time I'll be keeping an eye out for another Pearl whilst secretly hoping mine eventually ends up for sale in a @HarrySeven clear out
    You may be waiting for some considerable time on that one, sorry!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Haha I thought so. 

Looking at Gibson Studio prices on eBay they seem to go for about £550, is it worth saving that money and going for one of them over the Burny? The Burny certainly looks nicer with the binding etc, and I'm not really fussed that it's a Gibson or made in the USA unless the quality is actually noticeably better?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @TTBZ there are some right bargains on FB groups and Gumtree at the moment. Certainly a couple of Studios around £400-450 with cases
  • Has it got to be Gibson-looking? If not, I'd recommend the LTD EC series. You'll get a second-hand EC1000 for your budget, or there are some cheaper models which would do... the headstock is a better shape than Epiphone's, but it's still definitely not the 'right' shape if it has be Gibson!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    edited October 2018
    rico said:
    @TTBZ there are some right bargains on FB groups and Gumtree at the moment. Certainly a couple of Studios around £400-450 with cases
    Shame I don't have the money right now but hopefully those sort of prices will hold up for another couple of months!

@skullfunkerry - I've looked at the EC quite a bit and like the modernised design, but I don't really like thin necks - will have to have a longer play on one though. I also worry (probably unnecessarily) the thinner/contoured body will rob thickness/push and sustain.