Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does Anybody REALLY consider their strings?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I have a nickel allergy so over the years I've tried Stainless Steel, Chromes, even Maxima Golds. Been using Elixir Nanoweb for over 10 years now and they do the job nicely (longevity isn't an issue as I never break strings!).

Although I was chatting about them with the guy on the Ernie Ball stall at the Liverpool Guitar Show today, he'd said "play any of the guitars you like" and when I explained why I couldn't he said "wait there a minute". Came back a couple of minutes later and gave me a set of Elixir Optiweb, for free! So I will be trying them next re-string day.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pfff, what a bunch of wimps! 11s? 12s? I make my own strings from throttle cables and fence wire, like a *real* man :D 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In all seriousness though, D'addario 10s for me. I used to use EBs, but when I tried D'addario I preferred the feel and I've never found anything to change my mind. Plus (and I admit, I haven't really got a solid reason for this, it's just a feeling), I like the way D'addario do business...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Usually use D'addario XL, 10-46 on most things but 11-52 on anything with a Gibson scale.

I recently tried D'addario NYXL and I find them horrible.  They were bloody expensive too but he wound strings feel incredibly coarse to me, like playing the edge of a file!

I've also used Fender bullets before too and always liked them.  By all accounts they're made by D'addario so no surprise that I liked them really.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I Used to use the GHS Nickel Rockers in 11-58 but had a lot corroded out of the packet, I've currently started trialing NYXL's in 12-60. Quite fancy trying Rotosound again after what I read here. I've got some D'Addario 11 -somethingorothers on my Telecaster.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Ernie Ball - Cobalt slinky for me.  9-42 on a Strat. Sound great, stay in tune and good intonation. And last around 10 - 12 weeks, compared to std slinkys which lasted me around 4 weeks before going dull. Tried Rotosound before but did not get on with them.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Haych said:

I've also used Fender bullets before too and always liked them.  By all accounts they're made by D'addario so no surprise that I liked them really.
    Hmm. Fender used to make thier own strings, they bought the squier brand name because it was a string maker not a guitar maker. Of course all that before the CBS cash out and the total rebuild of Fender USA and the adoption of squier as an offshore/lower grade guitar maker in Japan.

Aha, went off and found this, seems a reasonable resume of the situation and makes a decent read.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Haych said:
    Usually use D'addario XL, 10-46 on most things but 11-52 on anything with a Gibson scale.

I recently tried D'addario NYXL and I find them horrible.  They were bloody expensive too but he wound strings feel incredibly coarse to me, like playing the edge of a file!

Is it just that Fender Bullets are made in the same factory as D'Addario or are the strings themselves actually the same as D'Addarios but with the differently shaped ball end?

If the latter I'd definitely get them for my Strat if I'd be getting the same strings as now but that will work better with the trem.