How genuine is the wear on this neck?

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
Still looking for a cheap Strat type guitar for my youngster. I came across this and was wondering if the wear was natural or contrived? Is there a way you can tell if there's impossible wear?  For example, with this amount of wear on the board, how many fret replacements would there have to have been?

I'm only asking out of curiosity before I contact the seller.

httpsiebayimgcom00sMTAyNFg1NzYzBRsAAOSw53hbrhgJ_86JPG

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Looks contrived to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Agree with Jaffa. seems strange
    What is going on with that low E string?

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    What year is it? Looks like a Silver logo so 90's? How worn are the frets? That would have had a thick polyester finish on it would it not?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Looks like marker pen  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Sure it's not just built up sweat gunk? (Gross!)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I have a Silver Series Jap Squier that has almost identical markings on the fretboard. Mine hasn't seen much use over the years so I'm pretty sure it is not conventional wear. I wonder if they used some particular chemical in the finish that does this?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I couldn't say as I'm not interested in Maple fretboards so I never really look at them. What I will say thought is that the genuine worn ones do in fact look as ugly as that! I hate the way that varnished maple fretboards wear, it's not an attractive look - and I'm usually a big fan of (good looking) relics
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Utterly contrived, and badly contrived at that
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Looking at some of the ebay threads I've seen worse attempts......
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Why does it matter? Your kid wouldn’t touch a thing that looks that nasty either way. It’s only old people who find knackered-looking old junk attractive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I agree with @terada , marker pen.
  • I'd honestly forget that heap of junk and just get one of these - https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ms15bk.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    Why does it matter? Your kid wouldn’t touch a thing that looks that nasty either way. It’s only old people who find knackered-looking old junk attractive.
    It doesn't really matter but I am curious as to how someone can tell the difference between fake and genuine.

You're probably right about my daughter being repulsed by the 'vintage' state of this but there again she's a fourteen y/o into The Kinks, The Beatles, Hendrix, ELO, Wilbury's, Floyd, AC/DC, and Clapton so you can never tell.... 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Wolfetone said:
    ICBM said:
    It doesn't really matter but I am curious as to how someone can tell the difference between fake and genuine.

You're probably right about my daughter being repulsed by the 'vintage' state of this but there again she's a fourteen y/o into The Kinks, The Beatles, Hendrix, ELO, Wilbury's, Floyd, AC/DC, and Clapton so you can never tell.... 

You've certainly done a good job getting her into real music, fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Wolfetone said:
    ICBM said:

Good shout on the music taste.

With regards to wear - there are a few things people always seem to get wrong:

1. Colour - the colour of these does indeed look like marker pen, it just shouldn't be that colour

2. The shape, Fender mess this up too - they use some sort of polisher to take it out, why would you have wear that runs almost to the previous fret? I have genuinely worn necks and yes the divots extend back but not that far

3. Wrong places, again think of the chord shapes/scale shapes that most people play - why would you get that wear all at the second fret?

4. Inconsistent - if it's worn this much, why hasn't the edge of the neck worn? You see that a lot people will sand the finish off the neck, do a reasonable job - but the body is immaculate, just doesn't add up - look at the big picture first

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    That's a tough one. Most amateur contrived wear covers more "heroic" areas of the fretboard than that - but you can almost see exactly which cowboy chords this player favours.

Does the owner have long, dirty fingernails?
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9318
    I don’t honestly think you can tell. It makes me laugh when people criticse relic finishes and often they’ll be based on a real guitar. Brad Paisleys tele is a case in point. The arm wear was slated, his is exactly like it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the previous owner the human torch? I guess the finish would be poly and so hardly wear at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I think it could be real. From what I remember, the neck finish on these was quite thin (unlike the bodies) and does easily indent with fingernails - and from what you can just about see in the pic, the frets are heavily worn too. But if it is, the owner is a dirty slob who probably never cleaned it. So that’s two more reasons not to buy it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    I think it could be real. From what I remember, the neck finish on these was quite thin (unlike the bodies) and does easily indent with fingernails - and from what you can just about see in the pic, the frets are heavily worn too. But if it is, the owner is a dirty slob who probably never cleaned it. So that’s two more reasons not to buy it.
    I'll tell her not to lick the fret board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom