Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Duesenbergs

What's Hot

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    edited October 2018
    There’s too much bull regarding their origins and because of that I wouldn’t touch them but that’s just my opinion. 
    The ones I’ve seen have all looked Asian built regarding the body work 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189

Can you clarify that? I don't follow...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    Rightly or wrongly, my mind pigeon holes them along with Hagstroms - but they're twice the price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    There’s too much bull regarding their origins and because of that I wouldn’t touch them but that’s just my opinion. 
    Dave - read my notes above - Bodies and necks are now from their own facility in Croatia then the blanks shipped to Germany - Apart from the Special, which is still from Korea regarding wood supply, All other Doozies are now built this way and have been so for a while - They totally own and control their own production line/supply including final assembly, set-up, paint etc in Germany 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I demoed a paloma last year. Really lovely guitar. I didn't buy it though due to the negative feelings surrounding them etc. Really bad for business imo 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Can someone fill me in as if I just landed on this planet:

Why is it taken as a given that these are made in Korea?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    Can someone fill me in as if I just landed on this planet:

Why is it taken as a given that these are made in Korea?
    they were in the early days and for a few years and such issues stick
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460

Historically, a lot of the parts were made in far East (presumably S Korea).  These were then shipped to Germany to be assembled/finished in some form or other.  From discussions in the past, it was a bit unclear about how much work was carried out in Korea, and how much in Germany.  On here, (and possibly on other forums like the Gear Page as well, where some who were stating that the majority of the work was done in Korea.  This led to a lot of complaints about marketing them as German made guitars.  The insinuation was that it was all a clever marketing ploy to sell Korean made guitars for twice what they would normally cost. 

There are a number of topics that get repeated on guitar forums from time to time.  This is one of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I played a Starplayer Deluxe at Peach and it put a smile on my face. There's a difference between a guitar that's well built and sounds awesome as compared to one that makes you smile.

That guitar is firmly on my hit list.
    I think that was basically my understanding, but it sometimes seems like everyone went from "unclear" and "insinuation" to categorically calling these Korean-made guitars.

I don't have any problem with Korean-made guitars, by the way, but I wouldn't be so keen on Korean-made guitars being sold as German-made guitars.

My brother has a 49er and it sounds great, I grabbed a 440 from Thomann when it was going for almost 50% off and the build quality and finish is up there with anything. I gave that one to my brother too because it suits his style more than mine. I can certainly see why some would find them a bit flashy and the gloss a bit thick.
  • I want the Joe Walsh signature one, but I've never spent more than a third of that on a guitar (it's 2 grand ...  :/ )
    I want the Joe Walsh signature one, but I've never spent more than a third of that on a guitar (it's 2 grand ...  :/ )
    I quite like that one too :) I think it's priced well
    What the real with those rosewood fingerboards though? I'm talking about those dreaded CITES again .(
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    What the real with those rosewood fingerboards though? I'm talking about those dreaded CITES again .(
    Same rosewood that goes on Fenders, Gibsons, Yamahas, many Gretches, PRS, and a billion others, so same rules. No importing or exporting outside the EU without a permit both ways, but not a problem to acquire new or buy/sell in this country.
    Whitecat said:
    Same rosewood that goes on Fenders, Gibsons, Yamahas, many Gretches, PRS, and a billion others, so same rules. No importing or exporting outside the EU without a permit both ways, but not a problem to acquire new or buy/sell in this country.
    Bugger that then. Although I hear there is a breakthrough in the CITES discussions concerning instruments etc hopefully 
  • prlgmnr said:
    I think that was basically my understanding, but it sometimes seems like everyone went from "unclear" and "insinuation" to categorically calling these Korean-made guitars.

I don't have any problem with Korean-made guitars, by the way, but I wouldn't be so keen on Korean-made guitars being sold as German-made guitars.

My brother has a 49er and it sounds great, I grabbed a 440 from Thomann when it was going for almost 50% off and the build quality and finish is up there with anything. I gave that one to my brother too because it suits his style more than mine. I can certainly see why some would find them a bit flashy and the gloss a bit thick.
    That’s exactly my thoughts 
  • Hattigol said:

Just by the finish etc. 

Not on about hardware. 

Reverend are as good imo n half the price. 
    Hattigol said:

Just by the finish etc. 

Not on about hardware. 

Reverend are as good imo n half the price. 

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    edited October 2018
    I’ve read your comments Mark and thanks for the information. 

But what can you believe. 

When a certain big name online shop is on YouTube clearly starting a few years ago that they ars 100% German made???
     There is definitely something wrong with their transparencie. 
    Lets be honest they are not cheap guitars n would be expensive for most of us. 

How many people own one and truly believes it a German made guitar?? 

Thats what I didn’t like. 

But ur still very cool looking guitars may I add 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    I’ve read your comments Mark and thanks for the information. 

But what can you believe. 

When a certain big name online shop is on YouTube clearly starting a few years ago that they ars 100% German made???

Big-named online shop must have succumbed to rumour or was being disingenuous themselves in order to sell guitars...

Review here says Korea, which is 11 years ago. Being that Mark is a former dealer I'd presume his connections are sound... https://web.archive.org/web/20160304063145/http://alt.duesenberg.de/duesenberg/image/test/2007/MusicMart_0807.pdf