Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any way the wind blows...

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Just reading that they did film a recreation of the whole Live Aid set although only used part of it in the film and may release the whole set at some point. As that seems to be a bit of the film people like I guess that's good news. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23111
    Just reading that they did film a recreation of the whole Live Aid set although only used part of it in the film and may release the whole set at some point. As that seems to be a bit of the film people like I guess that's good news. 
    Sounds like a good extra for the Blu-ray!  I read somewhere that the crowd in that scene is all CGI, but I don't know if it's true.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8191
    Philly_Q said:
    Just reading that they did film a recreation of the whole Live Aid set although only used part of it in the film and may release the whole set at some point. As that seems to be a bit of the film people like I guess that's good news. 
    Sounds like a good extra for the Blu-ray!  I read somewhere that the crowd in that scene is all CGI, but I don't know if it's true.
    I have no idea how they filmed the Live Aid section. I know they recreated the stage but the crowd? Thought I read somewhere that they used the crowd at Glastonbury but may have dreamt that. 

It's brilliantly done though.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    I'd heard the crowd were taken from the actual Queen performance at Live Aid, and they performed some kind of magic on it to tidy it up etc.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72649
    FarleyUK said:
    I'd heard the crowd were taken from the actual Queen performance at Live Aid, and they performed some kind of magic on it to tidy it up etc.
    They didn't write A Kind Of Magic until after Live Aid.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Odd thing is, to me the Live Aid gig was just a standard Queen gig, it just outshone everybody else and the strength of their songs really cut through, rather than being “their best gig ever”.
    I saw them in Munich in the 80s and the set was every bit as good if not better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the thing about it was the fact it was to 1.5 billion people worldwide. Hence the significance of it.

My kids were actually taught about Band Aid/Live Aid in history. I don't remember my history lessons being that exciting - then again, I suppose Henry VIII to me would probably be the equivalent of Status Quo to my kids....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    I think the thing about it was the fact it was to 1.5 billion people worldwide. Hence the significance of it.

My kids were actually taught about Band Aid/Live Aid in history. I don't remember my history lessons being that exciting - then again, I suppose Henry VIII to me would probably be the equivalent of Status Quo to my kids....
    They were around at the same time as well
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By the way, if anyone's got their Brian mojo on after the film, I saw Mark at @guitars4you took a Red special as a trade-in at Thirsk on Sunday. 
    Add your own wig and Dunlop greenflash pumps, and you're there.
    'Aeeeeeeerrroooooo!'
  • Hattigol said:

...we all remember when Francis Rossi had the second Quo drummer beheaded then started the Church of Double Denim. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Wtf... Two youngsters at our table don't know who Queen even are..!?!?!?

Well, brace yourself ... three years ago (I think) a mate asked me to play guitar for a local kids Am-Dram presentation of Camp Rock (I still shudder).  At the time he was ~19 and was (is) heavily into music of all genres and periods; the cast were between about 10 and 15.

One of the songs name checks: Dave Lee Roth, Bruce "The Boss", Mick Jagger, Axl Rose, Tina (Turner, surname not given to be fair), Sting, Sheryl Crow.

At a rehearsal I turned to him and said "I bet none of the kids singing this even know who more than one or two of those people are".  Totally serious he looked back and said "I only know who one or two of them are".

I picked up my pipe and slippers on the way to the care home afterwards ...
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1759
    I went to see the film last night and really enjoyed it.

Obviously it's not a fully accurate biopic however it's a thoroughly watchable film with music from my favorite band of all time. Looked brilliant on the big screen and the huge sound system really helped too. 

As already stated people in the cinema were singing along and clapping.

Did anyone else really enjoy the 20th Century Fox 'theme' in the style of Brian May?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72649
    gubble said:

Did anyone else really enjoy the 20th Century Fox 'theme' in the style of Brian May?
    Sort of, but it wasn't accurate enough to be really good. I would take a bet he didn't play it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Saw it last night. I'm not really a massive Queen fan so any timeline changes washed over me.

However the "no one donated to Live Aid until they played" bit was pretty jarring. Is that the script writer getting carried away or was there a real positive spike in donations at that time I wonder?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Saw it last night. I'm not really a massive Queen fan so any timeline changes washed over me.

However the "no one donated to Live Aid until they played" bit was pretty jarring. Is that the script writer getting carried away or was there a real positive spike in donations at that time I wonder?
    Not sure, found this though while looking though:

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    Saw it last night. I'm not really a massive Queen fan so any timeline changes washed over me.

There was a spike after Queen played ... a big one but it was Geldof that caused it. 

After see'ing Queen Geldof made an emotional angry plea to "give us your money now" which at the time shook a lot of people into action  

Fast forward to 59:00 ....... to see this or watch the whole doc, it's pretty darned good 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I'm not a Queen fan by any stretch, but I went to see the film and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed.

I had trouble trying to work out if it was real life or if it was just fantasy....

• proggy said:

I'm not a Queen fan by any stretch, but I went to see the film and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed.

I had trouble trying to work out if it was real life or if it was just fantasy....

was there sliding land ?
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:

was there sliding land ?

Just a couple of potholes in the car park, that's about it.