Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any way the wind blows...

What's Hot
Saw Bohemian Rhapsody today.  Enjoyable,  great to see and listen to the music from the early albums .  Remi Malek very convincing as Freddie Mercury.  Brian May's actor also a doppelganger.  The story was clearly fiction in large parts and I wonder how much of the Paul Prenter stuff was true. It implied no-one donated a penny at live aid until Queen played which is clearly bollocks.

However that said well worth a visit even if just to catch a glimpse of May playing a Les Paul whilst recording Another One Bites the Dust
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Doesn't really matter to me
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tooooo meeeeeee dun dun dun dun dun dun
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12134
    My favourite Queen song is "The Show Must Go On"

Thought I'd share that with you...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    The first few albums were good, but they went downhill after that.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    I'm not a massive Queen fan but the wife has been badgering me to take her to see it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28904
    I don't understand why they bothered making a second Queen film. They peaked with Flash Gordon. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72802
    I really hated the idea of this until I saw the trailer... but now I'm hooked and will be going to see it. It's hard to believe the transformation of Remi Malek - who I hadn't thought would be convincing from what he looks like in real life, but he is.

(For what it's worth I think they were consistently great from Sheer Heart Attack to News Of The World, although there's good stuff before and afterwards too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I really hated the idea of this until I saw the trailer... but now I'm hooked and will be going to see it. It's hard to believe the transformation of Remi Malek - who I hadn't thought would be convincing from what he looks like in real life, but he is.

(For what it's worth I think they were consistently great from Sheer Heart Attack to News Of The World, although there's good stuff before and afterwards too.)
    I think you're right the good stuff did fall off after News of the World by and large. Sheer Heart Attack is such a good album

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23325

I read a lot of reviews of the film last night, most of them quite negative.  Of course that's not a reason to avoid it, but I've seen the trailer and find it a bit cringey.  Rami Malek looks tiny (although apparently he's only an inch shorter than Freddie) and his false teeth look like they came from a Kinder surprise egg.

But then I'm not generally a fan of biopics anyway.

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Sporky said:
    I don't understand why they bothered making a second Queen film. They peaked with Flash Gordon. 
    I'm surprised nobody has made another Flash Gordon movie yet....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28904
    rawk100 said:
    Sporky said:
    I'm surprised nobody has made another Flash Gordon movie yet....
    Why bother? The original already had Brian Blessed so you're never going to top it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Especially after Helen Mirren's failed attempt at playing Freddy alongside Tony Blair
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16220
    Probably the greatest Frontman of all time
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with @Blaendulais on the fiction part.  There are parts where I thought "How do we know that?".  I think that there was a lot of artistic licence taken to make a watchable film. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    Hmmnnnn ...... I'd have preferred if they stuck to the facts. Will be seeing though, I was a massive Queen fan late 70s.
  • Philly_Q said:

...his false teeth look like they came from a Kinder surprise egg...

That made me snort my tea out  =)
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Dominic said:
    Probably the greatest Front-teeth of all time
    FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11653
    tFB Trader
    My big gripes are timeline issues , which I'm a bit shocked got by someone as anally obsessive as Brian May

For example - playing Fat Bottomed Girls during the Queen 2 era (1974) when it was written till '78
    and showing We will rock you to Freddie with short hair and a moustache when he didn't grow the 'tache till about April 1980

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23325
    edited October 2018
    My big gripes are timeline issues , which I'm a bit shocked got by someone as anally obsessive as Brian May

For example - playing Fat Bottomed Girls during the Queen 2 era (1974) when it was written till '78
    and showing We will rock you to Freddie with short hair and a moustache when he didn't grow the 'tache till about April 1980

I read that the film also refers to Freddie's AIDS diagnosis pre-Live Aid, when in fact he wasn't diagnosed until two years after that.

(One of the reviews referred to it as "Live AID", perhaps under the impression it was an AIDS benefit concert...!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dont be put off by the negative reviews, go and watch it. I would give it a good 8/10.

It is a movie, not a documentary. If you are going to be put off by fictional scenes and factual inaccuracies then it is not for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom