Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone bought an amp based on what it sounds like on an amp modeller/software?

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 985
edited October 2018 in Amps
Asking this as while playing through some various amps on Helix Native, I keep going back to the Fender Bassman model.

So has anyone bought one because you like what the modeller version sounds like or at least prompted you to find and try that particular model in a shop to try out?

Perhaps it’s a bit of a weird question, but hey ho. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's not weird, every time I've used a multi fx I've jut ended up buying the pedals the fx I use on there are based on. Not so much with amps, though I did get a Princeton because I always seemed to end up with Blackface Fender sounds on modellers. However that didn't work because the amp was too loud to get a decent sound at home. Likewise, the MXR dist + that I liked on the zoom G3, and the numerous fuzz faces I've bought and sold, have always brought me nothing but disappointment.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Yeah, an AC30.  I loved the real amp but eventually sold it as I wasn't using it.  Fortunately since then modelled versions have improved a lot and I don't feel I could justify buying another one given I'd only use it for recording.

• Despite my failing in the purchasing department, I would still like to have a Vibroverb if they sound like the models of them I've tried. Sadly though, I don't have the money, space, nor ability to justify finding out
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    It has happened. Alan Phillips, the owner of Carol-Ann Amplifiers, is friends with Cliff Chase, the owner of Fractal Audio. They collaborated to build the Fractal model of the Carol Ann Tucana. This lead to a number of enquiries, and several amps were sold. 

IIRC it also worked the other way, with circuit variations being modelled before they were actually built.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    On a similar vein I've listened through the various profiles on http://www.theampfactory.com  Certainly gives a pretty level playing field for comparison purposes.  Definitely better than listening to a load of random amp reviews on Youtube.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Not amps but quite a few pedals.
  • Love the Orange clean sounds in Amplitube which makes me want a real one. Don't think the more home noodling ones have much clean in them though!
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I've been sorely tempted to buy a Morgan ac20 after using the Kemper profile of it ;) 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Yeah, an AC30.  I loved the real amp but eventually sold it as I wasn't using it.  Fortunately since then modelled versions have improved a lot and I don't feel I could justify buying another one given I'd only use it for recording.

We are the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The opposite for me really. It's confirmed that I hate the sound of Fender amps, only a Marshall or hot rodded version (Helix Placater or Shiva) will do! 
  • It's not weird, every time I've used a multi fx I've jut ended up buying the pedals the fx I use on there are based on. Not so much with amps, though I did get a Princeton because I always seemed to end up with Blackface Fender sounds on modellers. However that didn't work because the amp was too loud to get a decent sound at home. Likewise, the MXR dist + that I liked on the zoom G3, and the numerous fuzz faces I've bought and sold, have always brought me nothing but disappointment.
    The Zoom Dist+ model is a beast. I also found that the real thing isn’t particularly similar - the model is thicker, ballsier and more ‘modern’ it’s the best high gain sound in the Zoom Multistompi imo. 

To the OP - I’ve often wanted just a Vox ‘Normal’ channel based on my experiences with moddlers. It always seems to play second fiddle to the top boost sound in any new production amps I’ve tried though...
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Yeah, an AC30.  I loved the real amp but eventually sold it as I wasn't using it.  Fortunately since then modelled versions have improved a lot and I don't feel I could justify buying another one given I'd only use it for recording.

That's interesting, as I've not found a modelled AC30 that's anywhere near like the real thing.

What do you use?
  • Dodge said:
    That's interesting, as I've not found a modelled AC30 that's anywhere near like the real thing.

What do you use?
    Axe FX 2, and Helix Native. Either can do Vox tones that I like.

A big part of it I found was getting impulses that sounded the way I expected. I’m a fan of Ownhammer, @Cirrus also has been using Ownhammer Vox impulses lately and owned an AC30 for a lot longer than I did. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited October 2018
    The thing that got me onto the Helix in the first place:

Had a song which had two guitar tracks, recorded through my pedalboard, real ac30, celestion alnico and sm57. I wanted to re-track one of them, but since recording the guitar parts my band had folded and I'd lost my studio space.

So I was working from home, and decided to try Helix native. After a bit of playing round, I got a sound that was as good as the real AC30 track I was keeping. Not the same, in the same way that no two amps are the same, but perfectly good. A modelled Proco Rat into AC30 model set as I'd set a real amp into a modelled alnico speaker cab sounded and reacted to my playing the way I wanted.

So I ended up getting a Helix Rack, and as @guitarfishbay said, tried out the Ownhammer Class-A pack which has old Alnico Blues and Silvers. I'd go so far as to say that in a fair comparison between a miked real amp and the Helix simulation, the latter is easier to make sound great, as well as having the obvious practical advantages. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, and indeed sold my real AC30 a couple of weeks back.

Now, the amp-in a room sound is of course a different kettle of fish, and comes down to how you choose to amplify and hear the modeler's output.

Back in 2008, I got a real ac30 based on that being my favourite model on my Line 6 Flextone 3 XL. So it was an interesting experience for me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Can't remember where and no idea if there's any truth in this, but I read recently that Line6 had been approached by some small amp builders to try get models of their amps in the Helix, as a way of getting their amps in front of a lot of people who wouldn't normally be able to demo them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that like buying a Porche 911 because you liked it in Grand Theft Auto?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    Dodge said:

What do you use?
    Axe FX 2, and Helix Native. Either can do Vox tones that I like.

A big part of it I found was getting impulses that sounded the way I expected. I’m a fan of Ownhammer, @Cirrus also has been using Ownhammer Vox impulses lately and owned an AC30 for a lot longer than I did. 
    Thanks.  I'll check it out.

I've never been happy with AC30 digital sims, I'm presuming this is because the AC30 is 'my' sound and thus I'm more critical of any sim.  This actually reminds me, I'm part way through a reactive load box build which I must finish.   It would be nice to be able to record a real AC30 through a reactive loadbox vs the Helix AC30 through the same IR.  That'll certainly test the amp sim accuracy,
    Cirrus said:

So I was working from home, and decided to try Helix native. After a bit of playing round, I got a sound that was as good as the real AC30 track I was keeping. Not the same, in the same way that no two amps are the same, but perfectly good. 
    Coming from you as a big AC30 fan, that carries some weight.  My two JMI AC30s have slightly different personalities, but after 50 years, they're bound to have aged differently, plus they're a year or two apart anyway.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's post.  Look out for a JMI AC30 vs Helix Native through the same IR shootout at some point soon.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I kept looking for a Placator but no shop had heard of them
  • I went for Jet City amps based on modelled SLO tones, if that counts. Not disappointed.

Also, tangentially, I bought a Helix LT based on 30 minutes with the Helix Native demo. Not disappointed there either.
    <space for hire>
  • Love the Orange clean sounds in Amplitube which makes me want a real one. Don't think the more home noodling ones have much clean in them though!
    You'd be surprised: if I backed the gain right off on my Dark Terror I could get a good clean sound, especially at home. Something like a Tiny Terror with even less gain would be even better; and I think I remember someone on the Orange Amps forum saying that they'd swapped out the valves in their TT to get a cleaner sound
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)