Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone bought an amp based on what it sounds like on an amp modeller/software?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Zodiac51 said:
    I've been sorely tempted to buy a Morgan ac20 after using the Kemper profile of it ;) 

That's a great profile.

The Kemper has made me more open to EL84 based amps.  I got put off them because of a few I had that had a nasty, brittle top end.  That Morgan, plus some other profiles of EL84 amps on the Kemper, actually sound really good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    edited October 2018
    Dodge said:
    Dodge said:
    Yeah, an AC30.  I loved the real amp but eventually sold it as I wasn't using it.  Fortunately since then modelled versions have improved a lot and I don't feel I could justify buying another one given I'd only use it for recording.
    That's interesting, as I've not found a modelled AC30 that's anywhere near like the real thing.

What do you use?
    Axe FX 2, and Helix Native. Either can do Vox tones that I like.

A big part of it I found was getting impulses that sounded the way I expected. I’m a fan of Ownhammer, @Cirrus also has been using Ownhammer Vox impulses lately and owned an AC30 for a lot longer than I did. 
    Thanks.  I'll check it out.

I've never been happy with AC30 digital sims, I'm presuming this is because the AC30 is 'my' sound and thus I'm more critical of any sim.  This actually reminds me, I'm part way through a reactive load box build which I must finish.   It would be nice to be able to record a real AC30 through a reactive loadbox vs the Helix AC30 through the same IR.  That'll certainly test the amp sim accuracy,
    Cirrus said:

So I was working from home, and decided to try Helix native. After a bit of playing round, I got a sound that was as good as the real AC30 track I was keeping. Not the same, in the same way that no two amps are the same, but perfectly good. 
    Coming from you as a big AC30 fan, that carries some weight.  My two JMI AC30s have slightly different personalities, but after 50 years, they're bound to have aged differently, plus they're a year or two apart anyway.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the OP's post.  Look out for a JMI AC30 vs Helix Native through the same IR shootout at some point soon.
    @Dodge ;

I don't mind being hijacked! You are welcome to post the link/video 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 984
    Placater Clean = modelled after the Clean channel of the Friedman BE-100

Placater Dirty = modelled after the B
    E/HBE channel of the Friedman BE-100 

Dominic said:
    I kept looking for a Placator but no shop had heard of them

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    I've re-bought amps I used to own because the modelled version was so crap, if that counts?
  • tduotone said:
    Placater Clean = modelled after the Clean channel of the Friedman BE-100

Placater Dirty = modelled after the BE/HBE channel of the Friedman BE-100 

Dominic said:
    I kept looking for a Placator but no shop had heard of them

From the German word "Frieden" which means "Peace - Fried-man => Peace-man => Placator. I'm glad someone out there has already worked out what the models are supposed to be. 

Not an amp, but I became interested in buying a telecaster (which I'd never been before) because I found it was the guitar model I used most often on my VG99.
  • Not many guitarists have had the chance to play through all these amps, especially at full volume. A sim gives you a rough idea