Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New, shiny, immaculate guitars... i just dont get it

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I simply don’t trust a guitar without a few war wounds -does that make me odd? :)
    Only if you don’t explain what you actually mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I like the look of tattered old Fender Teles and Strats, but I think flame and quilted top Les Pauls and PRSs look better shiny and new. Don't know why, just do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    lonestar said:
    Bigsby said:
    lonestar said:
    Why pay someone to do that new, shiny thing to your guitar?  

Well, for a start, I find it works out far cheaper than paying someone to do the brand new worn out and knackered faux old guitar thing... ;) 
    You’re shopping in the wrong place mate ;)
    Meaning?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    This forum is getting so meta the last few days we are all going to end up in Deadpool 3.

Though I'm not doing it if Morena Baccarin isn't in it.

See Deadpool is a relic. Whereas Colossus is shiny and new. 

Hmmm. Deadpool is a good metaphor for this forum it would seem - do you go dirty, relic’d, mixed up, flawed but interesting, or shiny, new but ultimately a bit boring..?

I wonder who our Negasonic Teenage Warhead is?!
    I liked Deadpool 2 a lot more the second time I watched it.

Maybe I shoudl re-read all the controversial threads, discover a new depth and wisdom...?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11628
    tFB Trader
    [parody] I don't see the point of buying guitars that aren't made by Feline Guitars [/parody]

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    [parody] I don't see the point of buying guitars that aren't made by Feline Guitars [/parody]
    You should relic all yours - you’d sell more ;)
  • lonestar said:
    Soooooo. This is what it would look like if people who are fans of new guitars had to read a thread once a month or so being told “I don’t get it”. Why pay someone to do that new, shiny thing to your guitar?  

There is zero point to it, then again... there’s little point to “relic” debate. It’s boring. And it’ll be lovely to hear from some of you as to why you enjoy showroom condition guitars as opposed to something with a few marks, paint missing, checking etc.

I do hope the ripped jeans and dented car comparison comes up, it would be a terrible shame to talk about a finish on a guitar without comparing it to clothing or transportation :)

For the record, I don’t care what y’all like. New and shiny, aged, totally destroyed... it’s up to you. If the bloody guitar makes the sound you want, what’s the issue? ;)
    Wiz'd. I like both types, but I'm reminded of the Clint Eastwood line: "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" Guess some people are polemic by nature. FWIW I love your work.

Cheers

Stephen.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072

Joking apart, I would love a Feline with a relic finish, but I know Jonathan's not a big fan.

It's really difficult to think of anything to say on this thread without it just turning into the relic debate all over again....

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    That could be an interesting thread! :)
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    I'm not really bothered about the scratches, chips in the paint and dents on my guitar. It means it's mine and that I've used it. Also, no other guitar will ever have the exact same natural wear on it than mine, which makes it unique.
    I'm not a big fan of the guitars that are ready-made to be road worn. To me that seems fake; if you want your guitar to look used then use it! But each to their own.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    no it wouldn't because it would be in Made In UK section and nobody would see it or read it

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    no it wouldn't because it would be in Made In UK section and nobody would see it or read it
    Page views aren’t a problem but interaction from members is. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Joking apart, I would love a Feline with a relic finish, but I know Jonathan's not a big fan.

I'm not a fan of the idea of relicing it myself for the risk it would just end up looking damaged.

Not adverse to having a couple done by guys who are more experienced in that artform

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Philly_Q said:

I'm not a fan of the idea of relicing it myself for the risk it would just end up looking damaged.

Not adverse to having a couple done by guys who are more experienced in that artform
    I personally think your guitars look much better as they are. I think the level of quality, fit and finish and perfectionism means that a relic job just wouldn’t look right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    Philly_Q said:

I personally think your guitars look much better as they are. I think the level of quality, fit and finish and perfectionism means that a relic job just wouldn’t look right. 
    You're probably right.  I've been lucky enough to try several of Jonathan's finished guitars, I've seen them as work in progress and I've had a couple of repairs done.  I absolutely appreciate the quality and attention to detail so I can't imagine anywhere I'd rather go if I ever want a custom build.  Deep down I'm a perfectionist myself, I can be extremely picky and finicky... but I do prefer a relatively plain, possibly slightly weathered guitar so I'm not afraid to touch it!
  • fobfob Frets: 1431

I suppose the problem some people might have with reliced guitars is that it suggests 'borrowed' authenticity. We can look at SRVs strat and think that it could probably tell a few stories - a hard life of excess, and romanticize it and, by extension, its player.

People who then buy a pre-reliced guitar may seem to want the image over the substance of actually using the thing. Personally, I don't see how that is too far away from wanting a pro-level instrument when your ability is far below the level of a pro, however shiny.

At the end of the day, if you've got the money you've got the choice; I quite like the look of that pink Charvel that got berated a little while ago.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    I think it must be a bit of a piss off as a luthier to see the work you did to get it right. Taken to the deep freeze attacked with scalpel and dragged down a gravel road.

But I suppose if people are paying you money then no worries.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Simple. I’d prefer my guitar to get relic’d through Use, not due to someone else’s luthier skills.
  • I try to buy used if I can. But I do get new occasionally.

It's 26 years since I bought a new amp. It's ten since I bought a new guitar. It's four or five since I bought a new bass.
    tFB Trader
    I think it must be a bit of a piss off as a luthier to see the work you did to get it right. Taken to the deep freeze attacked with scalpel and dragged down a gravel road.

But I suppose if people are paying you money then no worries.

Your last sentence is 100% correct. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom