Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New, shiny, immaculate guitars... i just dont get it

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    @lonestar new ones with a Bigsby are currently £2999 on guitarguitar.
    Oh god :( 

Ill have to let it go, it’ll need to be a 40th birthday treat or something similar. 5 years to go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2965
    lonestar said:
    Why pay someone to do that new, shiny thing to your guitar?  

Well, for a start, I find it works out far cheaper than paying someone to do the brand new worn out and knackered faux old guitar thing... ;) And, given time, I'm reasonably adept at doing the worn out and knackered thing myself - in fact, it's the only bit of guitar 'construction' I have any sign of talent for. So for me, 'shiny thing' is an economy I'm happy to make on a new guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    DanR said:
    I like both pristine guitars and relic.

My Private Stock is pristine and my LSL is worn but I don’t think I’d like them the other way round.

Although maybe so laquer checking will look good on the PRS in 10 years or so.
    I've never seen a laquer checked PRS. Is it possible with the finish they use?

I have two PRS's and one is 2000 CE22. Dents but no laquer checking......yet.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    lonestar said:
    Neil said:
    I like shiny immaculate guitars.

I like all my personal possesions to be undamaged and as pristine as possible.

I don't want a scratched up watch, a cracked fountain pen, torn clothes or a worn out looking guitar.

But that's just me.  ;)
    Fountain pen?? Go you!! No mention of a biro in sight :)

Funny, many many years ago I enjoyed a shiny guitar as much as the next guy. In fact, I had even started to exhibit signs of OCD (unfortunately my poor mum has been OCD since she was a child and this was rubbing off onto me). I’m pretty sure all of that went out the window when my first child came along. 

Being a parent sure does teach you to not be too precious with your possessions. Each of our 3 took a different shine to certain things. It was my youngest who chipped my LP Junior the first day I brought it into the house. Tbh, I didn’t go through the proud moment of “aw my daughter put that mark there”.. I just thought “well, fuck that then eh?”. After that I certainly wasn’t bothered about dings nor was I celebrating where all the marks came from. The guitar felt and sounded good and that’s all I cared about.
    My son slide by Novo T across the floor day 1 but Dennis Fano had already hit it with a rock like he does, so no problem there :)
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    wesker123 said:
    DanR said:

My Private Stock is pristine and my LSL is worn but I don’t think I’d like them the other way round.

It depends on the finish.

The V12 while thin is quite hard so won’t check.

My PS is nitro so will eventually check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    wesker123 said:
    DanR said:

Some dgts were nitro which will check but not the others.  The nitro neck on my ce22 has worn nicely but the body still looks pretty new. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There’s a subsection of the forum for parody threads, thanus..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12234
    This forum is getting so meta the last few days we are all going to end up in Deadpool 3.

Though I'm not doing it if Morena Baccarin isn't in it.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    This forum is getting so meta the last few days we are all going to end up in Deadpool 3.

Though I'm not doing it if Morena Baccarin isn't in it.

See Deadpool is a relic. Whereas Colossus is shiny and new. 

Hmmm. Deadpool is a good metaphor for this forum it would seem - do you go dirty, relic’d, mixed up, flawed but interesting, or shiny, new but ultimately a bit boring..?

I wonder who our Negasonic Teenage Warhead is?!
    tFB Trader
    Bigsby said:
    lonestar said:
    Why pay someone to do that new, shiny thing to your guitar?  

Well, for a start, I find it works out far cheaper than paying someone to do the brand new worn out and knackered faux old guitar thing... ;) 
    You’re shopping in the wrong place mate ;)
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Didn’t we ban him?
    tFB Trader

usedtobe said:
    Actually, I was being serious. Although it may appear to be100% parody.

It certainly highlights how ridiculous the question is that constantly gets asked. Why do some people like Relics? Eh? 

Imagine seeing a thread titled “blue guitars.... I just don’t get it”.

Yip, stupid.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    DanR said:
    Didn’t we ban him?
    That could be one of a number of people :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    lonestar said:

usedtobe said:

It certainly highlights how ridiculous the question is that constantly gets asked. Why do some people like Relics? Eh? 

Yip, stupid.
    You take criticism of relics way too seriously.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    I bought a lovely Black Epi Les Paul last year, it was made in 2004, last of the Korean LP's, it didn't have a mark on it, not even a polishing scratch.

My son, 1 1/2 years old battered the crap out of it with a toy car, put little dents all over the body, it didn't bother me too much, it lost a little value but it happened and there was not much I could do about it anyway. It became a part of the guitars history.

I dont care if my guitars are pristine or not but also I'm not a fan of heavy relics, and while I like to buy second hand guitars that are clean Im not fazed by buying something that has accumulated dents and scratches over the years if the guitar is old enough to warrant them. If my clean guitars get a scratch or a dent Im not too worried about it, if on the other hand the damage was really rough and effected my enjoyment of playing I might worry that it cant be repaired to a decent standard.

Relics are one of those things , if you like them you like them , if you dont you dont, and we all have reasons for both, I like to see them if they are done well, and I understand why someone would want one,  and when we mention scratches on cars I dont see the connection,  my car is heavily scratched up, dented, paint flaking off , but thats because in the 12 years ive owned it ive abused the hell out of it, its been at the bottom of a pond, up to its wing mirrors in deep mud, up mountains, through rivers and every dent on it reminds me of something , like reversing into bollards and crashing into trees or the tonne of bricks I put in the back and drove all the way from Sudbury one day that had its arse trailing near the ground all the way and dented the hell out of the load space. 

But relicing your own car to purposefully make it look old and battered, I also think that looks great of its done properly, like this one.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5236/ratrodpickup1.jpg

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
    And, that ratrod pic I posted, a heavy reliced Cs Tele would not look out of place sat beside it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    All my guitars are in showroom condition and I prefer to keep them that way.

Gone are the days of my youth when everything I owned was battered, tattered and torn including heavily scratched vinyl LPs. When CDs came out I initially found it unnerving to experience the silence between the tracks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    lonestar said:

usedtobe said:

Yip, stupid.
    You take criticism of relics way too seriously.  
    I don’t at all mate. It was always going to be interesting to read the responses. I had never seen someone pose the question so I figured what the hey :)
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    And, that ratrod pic I posted, a heavy reliced Cs Tele would not look out of place sat beside it.
    I do enjoy a rat rod. In fact, if it was at all viable I’d be driving one every day. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 792
    robgilmo said:

But relicing your own car to purposefully make it look old and battered, I also think that looks great of its done properly, like this one.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5236/ratrodpickup1.jpg

It'll look great when it's finished !
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom