Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New, shiny, immaculate guitars... i just dont get it

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
in Guitar tFB Trader
Soooooo. This is what it would look like if people who are fans of new guitars had to read a thread once a month or so being told “I don’t get it”. Why pay someone to do that new, shiny thing to your guitar?  

There is zero point to it, then again... there’s little point to “relic” debate. It’s boring. And it’ll be lovely to hear from some of you as to why you enjoy showroom condition guitars as opposed to something with a few marks, paint missing, checking etc.

I do hope the ripped jeans and dented car comparison comes up, it would be a terrible shame to talk about a finish on a guitar without comparing it to clothing or transportation :)

For the record, I don’t care what y’all like. New and shiny, aged, totally destroyed... it’s up to you. If the bloody guitar makes the sound you want, what’s the issue? ;)
9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4934
    They're only waiting for that first bit of relic'ing anyway. I don't get the hate either and I initially wasn't a fan of relics tbh, still I didn't feel the need to pass comment or criticise those that do. Live and let live, and yes.... Love what you play!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6972
    Look too much like boiled sweets to me, suspect they’re owned by people who keep the plastic covers on their furniture. I don’t get it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3678
    I like shiny immaculate guitars.

I like all my personal possesions to be undamaged and as pristine as possible.

I don't want a scratched up watch, a cracked fountain pen, torn clothes or a worn out looking guitar.

But that's just me.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8209
    Neil said:

I don't want a scratched up watch, a cracked fountain pen, torn clothes or a worn out looking guitar.

But that's just me.  ;)
    It's not just you.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:

But that's just me.  ;)
    Fountain pen?? Go you!! No mention of a biro in sight :)

Funny, many many years ago I enjoyed a shiny guitar as much as the next guy. In fact, I had even started to exhibit signs of OCD (unfortunately my poor mum has been OCD since she was a child and this was rubbing off onto me). I’m pretty sure all of that went out the window when my first child came along. 

Being a parent sure does teach you to not be too precious with your possessions. Each of our 3 took a different shine to certain things. It was my youngest who chipped my LP Junior the first day I brought it into the house. Tbh, I didn’t go through the proud moment of “aw my daughter put that mark there”.. I just thought “well, fuck that then eh?”. After that I certainly wasn’t bothered about dings nor was I celebrating where all the marks came from. The guitar felt and sounded good and that’s all I cared about.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3678
    lonestar said:
    Neil said:

But that's just me.  ;)

Funny, many many years ago I enjoyed a shiny guitar as much as the next guy. In fact, I had even started to exhibit signs of OCD (unfortunately my poor mum has been OCD since she was a child and this was rubbing off onto me). I’m pretty sure all of that went out the window when my first child came along. 

Being a parent sure does teach you to not be too precious with your possessions. Each of our 3 took a different shine to certain things. It was my youngest who chipped my LP Junior the first day I brought it into the house. Tbh, I didn’t go through the proud moment of “aw my daughter put that mark there”.. I just thought “well, fuck that then eh?”. After that I certainly wasn’t bothered about dings nor was I celebrating where all the marks came from. The guitar felt and sounded good and that’s all I cared about.
    I went through all that with my three sons and now with my Grandchildren.

That's what cases are for.  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    I like things to be clean but not necessary show room shiny. I strip down any used guitar I buy and clean it.

After that mildly OCD process it then feels like it’s ‘mine’ and I won’t be anal about it looking shiny but would condition the fretboard between string changes etc.

Most of my guitars weren’t bought new but I’d never buy one that’s fucked - either through natural age/play or by artificially relicing it.

I must admit that generally the guitars I like most and know aren’t on the potential selling list (particularly the one I own with an aged finish) I’m not too fussed about them getting dinged and leave him around the house uncased. The exception being my VOS 335 - although it’s VOS it doesn’t have any dings and I don’t really want it to. Weird I know...

I guess I’m in the middle ground of this particular debate so... the rest of my post is taken from my response to the heavy relic thread that you are parodying. 

I’m not a relic fan - I like VOS finishes and my favourite guitar happens to have an aged finish - I liked the guitar and the finish was secondary.

Heavy relics don’t interest me and I wouldn’t consider one. Most don’t look even look realistic.

It’s personal choice at the end of the day - for me heavy relicing and trying to replicate wear on a maple fingerboard takes the whole thing too far.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    lonestar said:
    Neil said:

But that's just me.  ;)

Ah, but I don’t want to look at a case... I like seeing the guitar itself :)

@Iamnobody it’s interesting that you mention the 335... that’s my dream guitar (I think, I haven’t played the model I drool over tbh). But if I bought a new CS Bigbsy NOS model it would probably have to be the one that I keep new and shiny. The rest of them (which will eventually be mainly bolt ons) can be dinged to buggery. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3314
    I simply don’t trust a guitar without a few war wounds -does that make me odd? :)
    lonestar said:
    Neil said:
    lonestar said:
    Neil said:

But that's just me.  ;)

Ah, but I don’t want to look at a case... I like seeing the guitar itself :)

@Iamnobody it’s interesting that you mention the 335... that’s my dream guitar (I think, I haven’t played the model I drool over tbh). But if I bought a new CS Bigbsy NOS model it would probably have to be the one that I keep new and shiny. The rest of them (which will eventually be mainly bolt ons) can be dinged to buggery. 
    @lonestar the 335 was the only guitar that I’ve bought new. It was unattainable for me really but I took a punt on it in a sale, put it on my 0% credit card and agreed with my wife that long term it’s a gift to my youngest as it was made in her birth year.

So I guess that knowing I’m the custodian of this one which by rights I shouldn’t own (both in terms of finance and ability!) I’m more careful with it. There’s also a good chance my daughter might sell it so I’m extra careful and want it to retain its value...

It’s the block ‘63 and these typically sell used for more than I paid new - they are also now close to £4K new - that’s a ridiculous amount of money for a guitar in my world! 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I asked the wife why she preferred my pristine beautiful looks...

She’s still laughing now...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24862
    You do all realise I’m about to post a ‘mildly rekic’d - I just don’t get it’ thread - neither fish nor fowl....
    tFB Trader
    You do all realise I’m about to post a ‘mildly rekic’d - I just don’t get it’ thread - neither fish nor fowl....
    I will be seriously disappointed if you are joking ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5087
    I prefer relics. But that’s just me, each to their own etc...  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 792
    When i buy a new guitar it's easy to see how well it's finished. Just like a car, scratches & defects deserve a reduction.More damage more reduction. It will soon enough become 'not new' which is fine by me.
    I also have no objection to people who like to buy worn out jeans, guitars or cars but do sympathise that these items will soon become 'worn outer' while my newbies will naturally age.
    tFB Trader
    @Iamnobody that’s a really nice idea. I’d love to have the money to get a guitar for each of my 3 from their birth year but if truth be told it’s only my son (middle child) who has shown an interest in the guitar at all. It would be nice to source a good birth year guitar for him and it would also be good if it was also a 335. I don’t think I’ll be able to get the purchase past my wife though. 

Still, I shall keep my eyes open for a deal somewhere. Being self employed for such a short period of time has scuppered my chances of finance. I think my credit card (which is clear) doesn’t quite reach to the £4K mark :(
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited October 2018
    I like both pristine guitars and relic.

My Private Stock is pristine and my LSL is worn but I don’t think I’d like them the other way round.

Although maybe so laquer checking will look good on the PRS in 10 years or so.
    @lonestar new ones with a Bigsby are currently £2999 on guitarguitar.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    I like everything to be naturally fucked.

I don’t like new things. At all.

But that’s also just me. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom