Pitfalls of buying first guitar upgrade?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    I dont like playing stuff in guitar shops much. I live near Coda and they leave me alone. I take a day off, go off peak time midweek and play quietly. I also play a lot of guitars. Sometimes it takes a while to bond with something. I was looking for a Gretsch and played a Strat quite a lot over a couple of weeks. WHen I found the Gretsch I wanted I bought the Strat two weeks later. So what Im saying is 

1 you might not ever get over not wanting to play in guitar shops
    2 Go to Coda and ask for Ryan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    Try as many guitars as you want. It’s all part of the learning process, and most retailers will appreciate that. Try them unplugged, because you’re interested in how it feels. That also makes it easier for shop staff because they don’t have to find you an amplifier, and possibly a test booth.
    pmbomb said: ... my opinion is

1) buy second hand as depreciation on new guitars is brutal (so avoiding it means you can move it on without a big loss if you buy well). I also think guitars with a bit of wear and tear are cooler, and you won't stress about adding the odd mark either.

2) don't expect to get it right first time, it takes time to get into the groove with a new guitar. (hence point 1, minimise the risk rather than fret about trying to find 'the one').

I agree with this. As you develop you are likely to change your ideas about what you want from a guitar. So buy what you want now, and be prepared to buy something different later. Maybe a year down the road. Buying second hand does cut the cost.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I've been playing (trying to play) for around 18 months, I'm really bad and don't have confidence to go and play in front of folk in guitar shops so I've developed a strategy of buying used guitars. So far I have bought and sold around 10 electric guitars. I've stuck to Squier, Epiphone, Vintage, Revelation and a Crafter.

My strategy has given me opportunity to try guitars in my home without embarrassment : ) I haven't lost a penny often making a few quid.

I take time looking for the right guitars and I wonder why people buy new, often guitars a like new frequently they've had setups done and are half price (or less) than new.

Currently I'm loving Vintage guitars, I can't believe how good they are for the money!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I've been there! I'm totally embarrassed by my playing, and nervous about playing in store. The only thing I can say is: get over it. Not in a mean way, just be honest with yourself about what you're going to play with the guitar in question. Play the kind of thing you want to. You're there to decide if you're going to drop hundreds of pounds on the new shiny! You don't want to play a couple of tasteful little fills when you intend to use the guitar for banging out power chords, and vice versa.

I'd say it's worth making the trip somewhere, if you haven't been able to try many things. A guitar might seem perfect for you on paper, and not in person. I wanted a Schecter for ages until I tried one and hated it.

It's also worth (imo) playing through an amp similar to yours, or at least the kind of amp you want. No point trying to play metal through a tweed style amp. You'll also feel a bit disappointed if you play through a huge stack, then take it home and plug into a little cube!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Bigger stores often have sound-proofed booths you can demo in. Be careful of being hot-housed though, where they bring you an array of ever nicer guitars as you get carried away. Happened to me! (I don' blame the store, I was a willing participant).

Also gear4music allow 30 day returns, so you can audition at home. Maybe other online stores do too, I dno.

I still think second hand is the way to go. There are gazillions of guitars in the world, do we really need more?

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited October 2018
    Some wise words in this thread. For me, 'used' is the way to go, mainly for reasons of economics, because if you buy and then decide to sell, it shouldn't cost you anything really. Try not to worry about playing in a store. Just pick out a few nice chords, if that's your thing, to give you a reference point between different guitars. My 'go to' chord is an A13, which is stunningly simple, but sounds as if I know what I'm doing. You're not trying to impress anyone, just to evaluate the guitar, and with some nice chords and a few standard and well-rehearsed simple runs, you will sound good. 

I've people come over anf tell me how much they like my playing, and - believe me - I'm hopeless! The staff will also be pretty glad to hear a non-shredder! 

I started late so have made up for lost time, by trying, buying and selling as many guitars as possible until I find 'keepers'. I played an R9 which was wonderful and I HAD to have it. Similarly a recent Tele. I've sold the one and I'm selling the other. Both lovely, but sometimes they make/don't make a connection, and of course what you THINK you want, and want to play, is often subject to change. One 'keeper' is a 1955 ES-125. I never thought that it would be. This time next month, though, it might not be!

Try loads, play loads, buy and sell loads, if you have to, or want to - not only will it help in finding 'the one' (or the 20!), but it's also good experience and, IMO, great fun.
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Shrews said:
    @DB1 ;

LOL

You should probably have sung the first line to give them a clue.

You haven't heard me sing, have you?  :#
    Call me Dave.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    DeeTee said:
    I've been there! I'm totally embarrassed by my playing, and nervous about playing in store. ...
    To check out a guitar you don’t have to play a complete piece of music. You’re looking for how it looks, and how it feels and sounds all over the neck. You can do this acoustically, and by playing a few notes here and there. Maybe a barre chord, some runs, and the harmonics. 

They you can plug it in the check the pickups with even fewer notes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    To be fair it sounds like your SG needs setting up? Awful action , Pickups not sounding right?

You might also find that when you pick up a guitar in a shop that the set up might not be great on that one either.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Again, huge thanks to everyone who has commented.  I now have a plan to move forward with.  I know I mentioned a few posts ago that I did have more than a passing desire to look at the second hand Gibson SG but I've also come up with a list of other makes that I want to at least pick up for comparison purposes.  Mostly based on looks and pups but hey.

I'm sure the more I go and try these things the less stressful I'll find it.  Either because wherever I am they don't make a fuss about it or if they do I never need to spend money there anyway.  :) 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    pmbomb said:

I still think second hand is the way to go. There are gazillions of guitars in the world, do we really need more?

Erm... Yes? Always and forever yes!

What happened to you? You used to be cool... 

;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    lol I am cool, I like Les Pauls. All the cool people do. You know it really, you're just in denial.
  • Play as many different guitars at as many different prices as you can. This will give you a list in your head of what you like.

Find your budget. Try as much of what you like that's New within budget. Try everything you can about £200 over-budget.

What you like within budget you consider buying new. What's over, you consider buying used.