String trees - the rules?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummy said:

Most modern Strats have two trees, the ones that don't tend to be vintage reissues of one type or other.

You could also look into staggered tuners if you don't want to drill the headstock... or is it only the B & E that have lower posts on those sets?

The player series and American pro don't have 2 string trees, neither did the standard or American standard.

I looked on the website and out of the 10 I looked at (specifically avoiding vintage ones) only 1 had 2 string trees - the American Special.
    The American Pro at least, has staggered tuners, so that might be why.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    I’ve never come across a Fender that needed the second one if it didn’t have one fitted already. Either staggered posts or using the right amount of string length to wind it far enough down the post always works, even on the G string.

But equally I think they always need the E/B one even with staggered tuners - there just isn’t enough angle even with the string right down to the ferrule.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I’ve never come across a Fender that needed the second one if it didn’t have one fitted already. Either staggered posts or using the right amount of string length to wind it far enough down the post always works, even on the G string.

But equally I think they always need the E/B one even with staggered tuners - there just isn’t enough angle even with the string right down to the ferrule.
    So how does it work on a Parker fly then?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    meltedbuzzbox said:

So how does it work on a Parker fly then?
    By having a slight angle on the headstock - from memory something like 4 degrees. (By comparison Gibsons are 17, or 14 in the 70s.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerdNerd Frets: 1
    Im sliding short piece of wire isolation sleeve on my D string. It works as intended and no drilling required. Try it
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Nerd said:
    Im sliding short piece of wire isolation sleeve on my D string. It works as intended and no drilling required. Try it
    Novel! In my case it was my mistake and once the string was wound around the post in the correct way, no more rattle.