Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

What's Hot

Comments

• Alnmouth said:
    Dominic said:
    I spent all my 20s and 30s in Nightclubs most nights of the week
    I was always late for work
    I spent most of what I earnt on Cocaine and Hookers and the rest I wasted !
    If you were always late, then I am surprised that you even had a job.

As for cocaine, people who buy it should have all of their money confiscated to be replaced with food stamps, and no I am not joking.

I’m still wondering about the confiscation of money and replacement with food stamps! That might explain the desire for an early night?

Mind you, I do know dealers that would take food stamps ........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Candidate for one of the best threads of the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    IMO, the OP is not a troll but the gist of his question seems to miss a fundamental aspect of work/leisure time management. 

If you are attending a weekday evening event that is likely to run very late or at which large helpings of intoxicants may get consumed, book annual leave for the day after. Simples.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sad I missed this in real time. I took my Mrs to see Dylan about 12 years ago. The venue staff had to announce he was on stage because everyone was still in the bar. On at 7 ish and finished before 9.30. We had a cab booked for normal time too... very cold indeed by the time it turned up. Great gig though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24804
    edited November 2018
    I'm sad I missed this in real time. I took my Mrs to see Dylan about 12 years ago. The venue staff had to announce he was on stage because everyone was still in the bar. On at 7 ish and finished before 9.30. We had a cab booked for normal time too... very cold indeed by the time it turned up. Great gig though.
    At least you were notified at the venue that the times they were a changin....
    23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    I'm sad I missed this in real time. I took my Mrs to see Dylan about 12 years ago. The venue staff had to announce he was on stage because everyone was still in the bar. On at 7 ish and finished before 9.30. We had a cab booked for normal time too... very cold indeed by the time it turned up. Great gig though.
    At least you were notified at the venue that the times they were a changin....
    Omg that’s amazing :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Always take your digestives and milk with you. Then you can go straight to bed when you get home! 
     I learned this the hard way..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I must say I have some sympathy with the OP, not with the lateness idea - really most of us can do ok with a shortened nights sleep occasionally - if you can't then don't go.

BUT - I get very annoyed with headline acts which consistently don't come on anywhere need a stated time - you know the drill, support act finishes at 8:00, stage reset by 8:30 - band comes on at 9:30.

Keeping people standing around for 90 minutes is just rude and also takes away all the energy created by a decent support act.

There's an American female singer - Lissie, bit folkie but hell of a voice and nice songs - I've seen her twice, both times (including one which was an 'intimate showcase' - with no support) she kept everyone waiting literally for hours, result is I won't buy her tickets again.

If the Lizzy act was Limehouse - I've seen them a few times and it's a cracking show, don't remember them being that late or anything

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Timetabling a gig late and then starting on time is fine. Annoying sometimes but you’ve got the choice of booking the next day off, arranging late transport, or just not bothering. Being egregiously late when you’ve published a start time is just plain unprofessional and discourteous...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm glad I joined this site for this post alone. Never been to a gig in my life but if you are old hands at it(as most on here seem to be)then I'm sure you'd factor in 'The Rock n Roll lifestyle' to 'starting times.' Probably best to stick to girl and boy bands in the future. It's rumoured Guns N Roses lead guitarist was always late on stage due to being 'caught short' so chose an appropriate stage name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    How did I miss this thread?

Laugh out loud funny.

There needs to some kind of system to alert us all, like a hilarity sensor.
    Is the OP Mr Trellis of North Wales?
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Christ on a bike - this thread is still going!?
  • Hattigol said:
    Have I misread this - they were on at 7.50 and you think that's too late?

It's a gig. Not an episode of Teletubbies.
    Can't decide whether to LOL or WIS this.

Decided to WIS and just laugh to myself.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited November 2018

Just saw this thread.

With all the Uli Jon Roth mentions, he's playing at the University of London Union tomorrow night.

I know this because I saw the posters because I went to see The Alarm there last night.  (I got home at midnight)

Someone should go and tell us what time they get home to bed!

• We saw Seth Lakeman last week in Leamington. The venue has a club night on afterwards so we were all done and on the way home at 9:45!
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    We saw Seth Lakeman last week in Leamington. The venue has a club night on afterwards so we were all done and on the way home at 9:45!
      You should have took the op with you and he could have enjoyed the evening without worrying about being late for work .
  • I’ve just woken my sleeping girlfriend and had to explain why I’m crying with laughter. This thread is comedy gold. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I watched a recording of Lynryd Skynyrd last night at home on my television set. I started at 8.49pm and stopped at 10.23pm. I went to bed at 10.37pm, and woke up refressed in the morning having had a pleasant evening enjoying my recording, and a good nights sleep!

Just sayin.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Alnmouth said:
    Dominic said:
    I spent all my 20s and 30s in Nightclubs most nights of the week
    I was always late for work
    I spent most of what I earnt on Cocaine and Hookers and the rest I wasted !
    If you were always late, then I am surprised that you even had a job.

As for cocaine, people who buy it should have all of their money confiscated to be replaced with food stamps, and no I am not joking.

a ha ha hahahahahahahahahahaha!

You remind me of the "Don't give money to the homeless, they'll only spend it on drugs" people.

Yeah - sod them for wanting to escape from their reality for a bit... while you go home and over-do the wine or cigarettes or eat 3 lb of cheese.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    This has been a great thread.

Shame the OP has gone. I was looking forward to the next instalment.