Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I can't believe I missed this. Best post of the decade?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnmouth said:
    John_P said:

Is this acceptable behaviour by a live act?

Yes it is.    

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see what the issue is.   What would you call a reasonable time for a gig to finish?
    The issue is not the finish time.  Little Mix begin their encores at around 10.30pm.  For Big Country it is even later.  The issue is that they should come on stage at a reasonable time.  This is especially important on weeknights, when many people will leave early because they have work the next day.

Strat54, it is quite normal for people who work to care about not being late.  I have known many cases of people either being sacked from jobs or else quitting to avoid being sacked.  Poor timekeeping is one of the reasons.
    Dont get it sorry.  Im 51,  its not hard to he out until the early hours, and still make work for 7am from time to time.

If your late its not because you were out late, its because you cant get up on time.

Fwiw i did 24 years in the forces.  Not uncommon to get to bed after midnight due to working late and still be expected to be ready at 5am for the ranges.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited February 2019
    Me and Mrs Philtre once ate dinner at 19:05. Normally dinner is 19:00 punctual. Crazy times!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Philtre said:
    Me and Mrs Philtre once ate dinner at 19:05. Normally dinner is 19:00 punctual. Crazy times!
    I used to like you. Now I don't think I can trust you. Your flagrant disregard for humanity is sickening 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I went to see Thunder last week at the Forum in Bath.
    first up I got to say the venue is run really well, plenty of staff, the place was clean and well lit.
    you may think that’s an odd thing to say but as we all get older I’ve noticed the audience tends to have more disabled among them. My wife is partially sighted so having helpful staff around means she can enjoy herself without worrying about trip hazards etc.
    Anyway back on topic.. 
    The doors open at 6.30pm, Dan Reed came on at 7.30pm did a shortish support slot don’t know how long coz he seemed to go on forever (I’m not a fan).
    Thunder came on and did a storming set all finished by 10.30pm which I don’t think is bad for a week day. 
  • bignorm said:
    I went to see Thunder last week at the Forum in Bath.
    first up I got to say the venue is run really well, plenty of staff, the place was clean and well lit.
    you may think that’s an odd thing to say but as we all get older I’ve noticed the audience tends to have more disabled among them. My wife is partially sighted so having helpful staff around means she can enjoy herself without worrying about trip hazards etc.
    Anyway back on topic.. 
    The doors open at 6.30pm, Dan Reed came on at 7.30pm did a shortish support slot don’t know how long coz he seemed to go on forever (I’m not a fan).
    Thunder came on and did a storming set all finished by 10.30pm which I don’t think is bad for a week day. 
    There is a story told by Biff Byford that during the band’s early success ( mid to late 1980s I guess) they were playing a gig and urging the crowd to get on their feet and he singled out a particular member of the crowd who wasn’t co-operating. Yes, crowd cleared revealing man in wheelchair. Anyway, to amend for their sins Saxon apparently became the unlikely pioneers of ensuring disabled access to gigs in the U.K. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited February 2019
    yes.

Most of the timings are organised by the promoter/venue.

We don't stick on headline acts till 11pm on weekends, 10pm on Fridays usually with a 3 band lineup. Tribute acts which are usually sorted into 2 x 45 or 2 x 1 hour sets usually start at 9.

Each venue is also different given location but should state when the "doors" or box office is open and when the night starts for when you purchase your ticket.

tis rare to have a gig regardless with no doors or start time. Also the promoter/venue have to work with the artist and some are known for being complete knobs. Also in that time prior to doors you have to organise everything from stage managment, sound checks, line checks and band order.. depending on the band sometimes this doesn't even start till a few hours before doors.

I've had one act, notorious for being a bit of a pain turn up 4 hours late and instead of sound checking, having to line check during their stage time. Was not a happuy bunny - but it happens.

Most venues now double as a bar or pub so you have that to work around such as places like New Cross Inn, 100 Club, The Lanes and so on.

Most places on the weekend don't even start filling up till 10ish after the lul from people going home and getting ready, late finishers from work or those finishing odd shifts.

Perhaps you're just getting old gramps.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4211
    Mark1960 said:
    I watched a recording of Lynryd Skynyrd last night at home on my television set. I started at 8.49pm and stopped at 10.23pm. 
    So you just watched Freebird then.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom