Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Now in a position to buy R8 (or possibly R9) and after some pointers

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Twinfan said:
    Does it have to be an R8/R9?

My money would go on a feline lion with my choice of pickups and a nice lemon finish.....
    Jon's guitars are superb, but if you want Gibson on the headstock and/or a nitro finish they're not going to be on your shopping list.
    That was my question though - I know the OP likes his guitars to give maximum bang for buck (quite right too!) and IMHO the Gibson name on the headstock doesn’t necessarily give that. 

You are, of course, quite right - I’ve owned an R8. It was lovely, but since then I’ve owned a lot of custom made stuff that blows Gibson out of the water for QC and value for money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited November 2018
    Does it have to be an R8/R9?

My money would go on a feline lion with my choice of pickups and a nice lemon finish.....
    Great guitars, superb quality, but resale is more problematic. And yes, if I'm honest it is the Gibson name thing too. But I will think on it and might well visit them and have a chat with Jonathan. The problem with a custom made guitar is you can't really know how it sounds and feels until it's made. There's no ssue with build quality which will be superb..but will it have that indefinable mojo which is different for each of us or will it be too 'sterile'? With an R8/9 I can try lots first, and compare and buy the one that feels and sounds right for me. Of course I realise I can try and buy one already made.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dbphoto said:
    Hi, thanks, yes I did see this and have been looking in the FB classifieds. But my preference is lemonbursts, tea or honeyburst. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Maybe wrong colour but it's rather nice - Feline 25th Anniversary Lion Supreme Archtop

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    @Voxman ;
    if youre in North London, guitar guitar camden have a few r8 / r9 on display - not discounted though...
    mli3 said:
    @Voxman ;
    if youre in North London, guitar guitar camden have a few r8 / r9 on display - not discounted though...
    Ok, thanks for that. :)
    Maybe wrong colour but it's rather nice - Feline 25th Anniversary Lion Supreme Archtop

That does look very nice! ;)