Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Flu jabs

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I had a flu jab in Nov 2017 but it didn't stop me getting a really nasty dose of flu in February that knocked me out for best part of a month. As others have said, it really feels like your time might be up. Bloody awful.

Despite that I still went for a jab a couple of weeks ago. No ill effects except feeling a bit rough for 24 hours a couple of days later. Hopefully this year the jab might actually work.

Some of your symptoms @Emp_Fab sound like allergic reaction rather than flu. Speaking to 111 as @ToneControl suggested might be wise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always get the jab these days - partly because my Dad's 91, and partly because I spend my job visiting GP practices, so I reckon if there's something going round, I'm well placed to get it.

I was talking about this to a practice nurse the other day.  You can't get flu from the jab - it contains an inactivated form of the flu virus.  What can happen is, if you're at the start of a cold but not yet showing any symptoms, the body's immune system gets preoccupied with producing antibodies to the flu jab.  When the cold gets going, you get it worse.

Also worth remembering that, with the Armistice fresh in our minds, roughly nine million soldiers and seven million civilians died in the First World War.  The Spanish flu pandemic which followed killed an estimated 50-100 million people worldwide.  Granted, it was particularly virulent strain, but the bottom line is - flu is nasty.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I'm getting mine tomorrow morning.  So if I never post again on the Fretboard, you know what happened...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11933
    I've had the jab for years, only ever effect was a bruised feeling for 2 days

As opposed to when I had the flu over Christmas after not having a jab,
    a week of pain having cold sweats in bed, aching joints and not being able to think straight or stay awake for more than 4 hours

It's worth noting that there are only 3 or 4 strains in the jab, so you are betting on their predictions 6-9 months in advance on what strains will be prevalent in the next winter flu season - it's impossible to get this right every time.

• I'd like to know how people that have the Flu jab and think it makes them feel unwell, know so confidently that they were not already within the incubation period of another virus?

Statistically a proportion of people definitely will be and a proportion of those will then confidently spread the news that the Flu virus makes you unwell.

Another truth is you hear from the people that had the vaccine and still got the flu.  They spread the message.

But the people who would have got it but didn't are blissfully unaware of the protection they received.  Of those people some might have died from the flu, but unfortunately they won't ever know that and can't spread any positive stories about the vaccine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Emp_Fab said:
    I usually have it every year but - never again...  I had this year’s brew yesterday morning.  My arm started aching by the afternoon.  Now, I feel like someone’s taken to me with a baseball bat.  I’ve got a monster fever, my skin feels like I’m badly sunburned all over, moving is agony and any movement of my head and I spin out.  I’m simultaneously on fire and shivering and have barely slept a wink all night.

If this is what is supposed to protect me from flu then fuck that - I’ll take my chances next time.

If an 80yr old went through this it would finish them off.
    I'll pay £1000 to jab you with a needle.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24359
    What diameter, how deep, how many times and where?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Done. My arm still facking hurts, plus I felt like crap all weekend.

I know it's pot-luck if they guessed the strain right, but even when I've had the flu after vaccination I've still had a lot easier time than the missus (who doesn't get the jab).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    I had proper flu last year so was happy to get the jab this year. It's not 100% effective as it's a best guess as to which strains they need to cover, but I'd rather have any help possible to avoid getting it.

On a more cheerful note, we are overdue a flu pandemic and it won't be 80 year olds that die, it'll be 20 year olds
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TheMarlin said:
    It only protects against one straIn of flu.  Scientists guess which Asian flu may come to the UK, and that’s what you get.
    1 or 3? My doctor told me 3.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    I had full blown flu back in 1999 and have had a jab every year since.

I had no idea just how feckin' awful it was before I got it.

Even if the jab was only 1% effective I'd still have it cos anything that reduces the chance of me getting it again exists I'll take it.
    The first day I had it I crashed my work van cos I felt so ill, the 2nd and 3rd days felt like someone was trying to hammer-drill into my skull with a 1/2 " SDS bit.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"

I'd like to know how people that have the Flu jab and think it makes them feel unwell, know so confidently that they were not already within the incubation period of another virus?

Statistically a proportion of people definitely will be and a proportion of those will then confidently spread the news that the Flu virus makes you unwell.

Another truth is you hear from the people that had the vaccine and still got the flu.  They spread the message.

But the people who would have got it but didn't are blissfully unaware of the protection they received.  Of those people some might have died from the flu, but unfortunately they won't ever know that and can't spread any positive stories about the vaccine.

don't spoil it for the idiots, how can natural selection work if we explain life-saving ideas to them?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    It only protects against one straIn of flu.  Scientists guess which Asian flu may come to the UK, and that’s what you get.
    1 or 3? My doctor told me 3.
    last year it was 3 for the jab, 4 for the nasal one they gave to little kids
    strtdv said:
    I had proper flu last year so was happy to get the jab this year. It's not 100% effective as it's a best guess as to which strains they need to cover, but I'd rather have any help possible to avoid getting it.

On a more cheerful note, we are overdue a flu pandemic and it won't be 80 year olds that die, it'll be 20 year olds
    So many people don't understand flu, do they?
    Allow me to get on my soapbox

The 1918 "Spanish flu" epidemic killed 5% of the world's population
    As you alluded to, it was most effective at killing young adults between 20 and 40. Not kids, not old folk.
    This was because their stronger immune system was overactive, and damaged the infected peoples' bodies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_release_syndrome
    also says:
    "Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[13] Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as well"

before anyone imagines that means it's best to not gain immunity, think again, look at this page:
    Deadly second wave
    The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much deadlier than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. But by August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone, and the United States,[73] the virus had mutated to a much deadlier form

.... most of those who recovered from first-wave infections had become immune showed that it must have been the same strain of flu. This was most dramatically illustrated in Copenhagen, which escaped with a combined mortality rate of just 0.29% (0.02% in the first wave and 0.27% in the second wave) because of exposure to the less-lethal first wave.[76] For the rest of the population, the second wave was far more deadly; the most vulnerable people were those like the soldiers in the trenches – young previously healthy adults

So those who already were immune survived the second, much worse strain. These days that would include the people who've had a jab (if they got the strain selection right)

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    With the onset of winter and these long dark nights, it has really cheered me up reading this thread. Tomorrow i'm off to Asda to stock up with provisions for 4 months and then lock myself in the house until next March so i don't catch anything.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    edited November 2018
    ronnyb said:
    With the onset of winter and these long dark nights, it has really cheered me up reading this thread. Tomorrow i'm off to Asda to stock up with provisions for 4 months and then lock myself in the house until next March so i don't catch anything.

Better make it at least 6 months.  Don't forget Brexit.

You'll come out of your house and it'll be like the opening scene of 28 Days Later.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    What diameter, how deep, how many times and where?
    7 gauge, 4 inches, 16, patella.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Let me check.....
    Your offer isn’t acceptable I’m sorry.  The cost for that premium level abuse package is £650,000.

I do have options more suited to your budget however..  for £1,000 you can pinch my nipples really hard, throw a dart at my leg or hit me across the head with a baking tray.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Your offer isn’t acceptable I’m sorry.  The cost for that premium level abuse package is £650,000.

I do have options more suited to your budget however..  for £1,000 you can pinch my nipples really hard, throw a dart at my leg or hit me across the head with a baking tray.
    I believe we have an accord...