Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Roland / Boss Nextone - new amp line

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    surely there is only so much 'new' ss technology to be had and Blues Cube, Katana and Nextone must have it in them regardless of the differing names and knob decals...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://youtu.be/6NXsjCQEcQA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7556
    Be interesting to see if they are leaving the Blues Cube as a current product or if this is the replacement.
    Red ones are better. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31662
    Maxx77 said:
    is the 40 and 80w a amp valve value, or solid state value?
    They will probably be the equivalent of around 20 and 40 watts if the Katana range is anything to go by.  
    The best sounds so far imho are in the second half of the Peach video where they go into the Custom setup - different amp types for each channel are possible that way 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I find it interesting that they're insisting that the amp circuit is 100% analogue, at least on the Peach video and I guess they got their bullet points from Boss.

I thought there was always some DSP in the power amp section, but Roland/Boss talk/write in vague terms about what exactly is going on. I must say I don't think having some digital in there is a bad thing at all.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72629
    Is “all analogue” the new “all valve”?

If so, what you think that means and what manufacturer’s marketing departments think it means could be different things...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    Compared to the Blues Cubes these do seem to use similar technology but give a lot more features at a lower price.

Anyone know if there is anything else that differentiates between these and the Blues Cubes? For example, do they have full beech-ply cabinets like the Blues Cubes, or chipboard cabinets like the Katanas?
  • They look more flimsy than a Blues Cube, more like a Katana.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Maxx77 said:
    is the 40 and 80w a amp valve value, or solid state value?

[FFS quotes...]

Apparently in the 80w there are 77watts going in so more magic value than valve or solid state.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    "all analogue" with a software editor?   Hmm...

(sounds lovely though, which is all that actually matters)
  • Arjailer said:
    "all analogue" with a software editor?   Hmm...

(sounds lovely though, which is all that actually matters)

From my brief look at a video the software manages the digital effects ( delay types,reverb, tremolo, compression). I'm not sure it changes the core sounds. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Will Roland UK be refusing to supply parts for out of warranty repairs on these too a la Blues Cube? 
    Red ones are better. 
    EricTheWeary said:

Apparently in the 80w there are 77watts going in so more magic value than valve or solid state.
    And 37 in the 40W.

But recently I've found an amp where the claimed output power is accurate and the stated input power is (drastically!) wrong, so who knows...

They certainly won't be as loud as equivalent-power valve amps, but that isn't because solid state and valve watts are different. It still isn't helpful when manufacturers play numbers games though - it's not so much asking how long a piece of string is, it becomes more like trying to answer when you don't know whether the string is made of cotton or rubber :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

And 37 in the 40W.

But recently I've found an amp where the claimed output power is accurate and the stated input power is (drastically!) wrong, so who knows...

They certainly won't be as loud as equivalent-power valve amps, but that isn't because solid state and valve watts are different. It still isn't helpful when manufacturers play numbers games though - it's not so much asking how long a piece of string is, it becomes more like trying to answer when you don't know whether the string is made of cotton or rubber :).

What's strange is that my solid state 80W Blues Cube Artist is rated at 68W input. Whereas my 40W HRD IV is rated at 180W input power.

But if I set my Blues Cube Artist on the lower 45W setting it seems to be at least as loud as my HRD IV. That's as far as I can tell without blowing the roof off :).

It's not a competition.
  • null

They're both 1x12" combo cabs ...but they appear to be entirely different sizes...?

Any idea why?
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2366
    null

They're both 1x12" combo cabs ...but they appear to be entirely different sizes...?

Any idea why?

Does seem unnecessary.  I guess we'll find out for certain soon when Guitarist provide their 5 star review.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 418
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

And 37 in the 40W.

What's strange is that my solid state 80W Blues Cube Artist is rated at 68W input. Whereas my 40W HRD IV is rated at 180W input power.

But if I set my Blues Cube Artist on the lower 45W setting it seems to be at least as loud as my HRD IV. That's as far as I can tell without blowing the roof off :).

So your Blues Cube is as loud as a hot rod deluxe? 

If so this means it is easily loud enough for medium size gigs with just the amp and no PA.
    stratman3142 said:

Exactly. How long is a piece of rubber string...? :)

The 180W will be accurate or possibly an overestimate because valve amps are inefficient and put a high static load on the supply due to having a transformer input.

The 68W may be an underestimate because it will be based on an average draw at a lower percentage of the maximum continuous output, and the 80W may not be a continuous clean output (often called RMS power, although technically that doesn’t exist) either! Or both.

And that’s ignoring differences in speaker sensitivity or perceived volume due to EQ and dynamics.

• Onpar said:
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

And 37 in the 40W.

So your Blues Cube is as loud as a hot rod deluxe? 

If so this means it is easily loud enough for medium size gigs with just the amp and no PA.
    I have the 80w Blues Cube. I've never played an HRD so couldn't compare directly, but can confirm that on the 45w setting it's easily capable of keeping up with a drummer without winding the master vol much past 12 o'clock. I've never needed to use the 80w setting in anger.