Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

re: Complaints that "It's all a scam"

What's Hot

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited November 2018
    Dimed said:
    Kilgore said:
    This is a nice place. If you take your foot off the accelerator a bit, you might hang around long enough to find that out. 
    My membership is up to you? Also your opinion is okay but mine isn't? At least I am making points to discuss rather than attacking people.
    Not at all. I've never played a saxophone and to be honest I probably wouldn't trust my own opinion when it comes to guitars.
     A simple "Hi guys" might have been nice, but that's your call to make. See you around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Sax pest. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited November 2018
    munckee said:
    roberty said:
    I don't think anyone is arguing that all guitars should cost the same, regardless of the quality of materials and craftsmanship
    Fake news. 
    Fake news is fake news. It’s huuuge. 

Needs a bullet-in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited November 2018
    Dimed said:
    Why is it so easy for people, musicians and non musicians alike, to see that if you use better materials and a better craftsman, you get a better saxophone, one that plays better and sounds better, and that that saxophone should legitimately cost more, and so hard for them to see when it comes to electric guitars?

We live in a market economy.  Value is determined by what people are willing to pay.

"Better materials and a better craftsman" won't automatically improve value.  They will only do so if the market agrees these resources have been used wisely, and in a way that improves the product enough to justify the additional cost.

Products will have an optimal use of resources,  a point beyond which devoting more expertise, time, or higher quality materials is negative because the market thinks that any improvements achieved are too marginal to justify the extra cost.  I don't know much about saxophone prices, playability etc but it seems likely that this optimal use of resources is arrived at at a lower price point for electric guitars than for saxophones.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • think you may have joined the wrong forum

you need the Neck Board  or the Reed Board 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3009
    I'm not sure I agree with the OP. I bought this for £200 back in my teens and I still can't get a tune out of it

Image result for inflatable saxophone
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Any saxophone cost is worth this video alone... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Calling Mr Ban-Hammer .... troll alert

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    In the trumpet sphere, you can tell / hear the “better” players because you can actually hear them getting the horn to resonate , even at low volume.  And a good 
    layer can “feel” that as they play, at which point they are working in unison with the instrument.

now it’s more difficult to do that with a cheaper instrument but it can be done

what became interesting in the past 5 years or so is what plastic trumpets have become.  If I bought s good plastic trumpet for circa £125 I can play it much better than a Yamaha costing much more.

so I disagree with the OP, as the value is in the hands of the person playing it
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    Does this mean more expensive condoms get you better sax? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    What's this thread about?
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited November 2018
    On second thoughts, I can’t be bothered. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OP's premise is flawed.

Two guitars - 

Custom shop PRS with a plain top
    Custom shop PRS with a AAA flame top

Which costs more? 
    Which is the better sounding guitar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Just make sure you have consent before putting a sax in your mouth or you could find yourself on the sax offenders register :o .
  • This thread has made me very angry. The op made a legitimate point and invited discussion, which is surely what the forum exists for. He’s then been attacked (only term I can think of that suits the actions observed) by some people who appear to think that their view of the forum’s nature and purpose somehow outweighs the opinions of others. 

Why is it that the attackers are always people I’ve never heard of? It’s also fairly obvious that they have failed to understand the original post. Or perhaps they’ve not even read it, just scented blood and waded in. Either way, tossers. 
    -behave. 

OP is paying the inevitable price for his first post being an aggressive piece of trolling and has now followed it up by a second thread on similar lines. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Behave? See ya. 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Just a guess, but I think volume of sales probably has something to do with it. I've no idea how many electric guitars are produced each year compared to Saxophones, but it's most likely many times more electric guitarts...more choice!
  • sev112 said:
    because you can actually hear them getting the horn 
    Oo-er and indeed, missus
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited November 2018
    lonestar said:
    Wow. Within 2 discussions that you’ve posted (out of 2) we have already concluded that you..

a) need a girlfriend 
    b) should really move out of your mums house and...
    c) introduce yourself properly, and start your fretboard life again.

Everyone deserves a second chance. Wait, is your real name Mason?
    We can get girlfriends and houses... 

But we still just a bunch of blokes who hang around on the internet discussing our sordid fetish ;p 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On second thoughts, I can’t be bothered. 
    Billiant