Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

re: Complaints that "It's all a scam"

What's Hot
DimedDimed Frets: 21
Why is it so easy for people, musicians and non musicians alike, to see that if you use better materials and a better craftsman, you get a better saxophone, one that plays better and sounds better, and that that saxophone should legitimately cost more, and so hard for them to see when it comes to electric guitars?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited November 2018
    And again? Really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    also. It’s pronounced “saxo-ma-phone”
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    terada said:
    also. It’s pronounced “saxo-ma-phone”
    Really wish I could LOL and Wis this 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's bringing saxy back
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Wow. Within 2 discussions that you’ve posted (out of 2) we have already concluded that you..

a) need a girlfriend 
    b) should really move out of your mums house and...
    c) introduce yourself properly, and start your fretboard life again.

:)

Everyone deserves a second chance. Wait, is your real name Mason?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Click bait :(
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    This is a nice place. If you take your foot off the accelerator a bit, you might hang around long enough to find that out.  :)
  • DimedDimed Frets: 21
    lonestar said:
    Wow. Within 2 discussions that you’ve posted (out of 2) we have already concluded that you..

a) need a girlfriend 

It's good to see that the people who engage in ad hominem(sp?) attacks disagree with me.
  • Welcome home Mr FX :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Dimed , if you give this place a chance you'll find it's alright.  Obviously a few people on here are having a back case of the Mondays.  I'm definitely not saying that they are being dicks, because being a dick by bullying a new member would be a bit poor.
    Kilgore said:
    This is a nice place. If you take your foot off the accelerator a bit, you might hang around long enough to find that out.  :)
    My membership is up to you? Also your opinion is okay but mine isn't? At least I am making points to discuss rather than attacking people.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Please discuss the topic or move on rather than complaining about me and bullying me. Thanks
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    @Dimed , if you give this place a chance you'll find it's alright.  Obviously a few people on here are having a back case of the Mondays.  I'm definitely not saying that they are being dicks, because being a dick by bullying a new member would be a bit poor.
    If you're not saying it, then I am.

They are being dicks.

And this guy is too saxy for this forum....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Dimed said:
    Why is it so easy for people, musicians and non musicians alike, to see that if you use better materials and a better craftsman, you get a better saxophone, one that plays better and sounds better, and that that saxophone should legitimately cost more, and so hard for them to see when it comes to electric guitars?
    I'm not sure I agree with all this. My guitars are made from the finest materials known to man but I'm buggered if I can get them to sound like a saxophone.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I don't think anyone is arguing that all guitars should cost the same, regardless of the quality of materials and craftsmanship
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    roberty said:
    I don't think anyone is arguing that all guitars should cost the same, regardless of the quality of materials and craftsmanship
    Fake news. 
  • lonestar said:

a) need a girlfriend 

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/a8/a87c852995e2310bf7416a7e3d64ec28fcb9ccb2a3da03a4a09fa93021d6fc6e.jpg
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Actually, I think the OP raises a good question - which is worthy of serious debate. 

It's very true to say that for some instruments - and the sax is a good example - the price you pay and the quality you get makes a big difference to the quality of the output. 

And I can also see that if it's true for one instrument, then why not another? Well, fundamentally, I think that where the rule applies (more expensive equals better) the quality of the instrument is fully determined by the effort and quality of materials. In a sax, the type of metal, how its formed, how accurate its dimensions are, the quality of the seals, the quality of the keys and pads and all of the other elements make for an instrument which is much easier to play and get a better tone out of. 

Playing sax involves breath - which means moisture. It also means air-tightness, resonance and very very accurate tolerances for pitch. 

Guitar is a very different beast. Typically, the key components are accuracy of the scale length, fret positions and the nut and saddles, along with pickups which output correctly. You can get a playable, usable and reasonably good instrument with a lot less accuracy and materials quality than you'd need with a sax. Similarly you can upgrade components to improve on the playability and sound.

Also, with guitar, there are other elements in the final output - amp, pedals, pick, string choice etc. 

Thing is, with a sax - just getting a note out of it in the first place is a big thing - not so with a guitar. Getting a sax which a good player can get the most out of usually means higher quality materials and more accurate tolerances - a really good player will hit the buffers and capability on a cheaper instrument well before a really good player will say that a guitar just isn't of sufficient quality for their playing. Of course - they will eventually - and this can then mean either upgrades, or a new one. 

It's the same for any woodwind instrument. I played flute (wooden) for a long time - I had a hand turned African Blackwood instrument which cost more than an R8, and it was considered middle of the road. It was good - but there were still limitations due to the turning accuracy of the bore, the shape of the bore and the quality of the wood - from time to time some notes just didn't ring clearly. I also had a plastic one which cost 1/5 of the price - it was pretty much junk for playing complex stuff - it just didn't have the capability to resonate how it needed to to get the tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10265
    edited November 2018
    munckee said:
    roberty said:
    Fake news. 
    Fake news is fake news. It’s huuuge. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8824
    tFB Trader
    Dimed said:
    lonestar said:

a) need a girlfriend 

It's good to see that the people who engage in ad hominem(sp?) attacks disagree with me.
    Just yanking your crank ;) lighten up :)