Electric Shower

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
I've checked, it's been a few years since someone asked this, so I think it's justified.

My Aqualisa Quarts 10.5kw shower has died - these things aren't really fixable, and tend to just need replacing.  This one was shit, and didn't really last much more than a year.

Any recommendations on new electric showers?  I've got teenages, so they take a hammering.  Not shy of spending a few quid on it.

Ta.
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7892
    edited November 2018
    The more powerful of the Mira Sports showers are pretty good.  Get the multi fit one.  Easier to install
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A second vote for Mira, ours is going strong after 12 years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    I've got a Mira Sport too, and it's a good shower, but the nylon geared temperature control assembly - only necessary because the knob is central and the valve inside isn't - stripped its teeth after about five years. I was able to buy a replacement front panel - it's a complete unit of course, you can't just change the gears - online, but it leaves me feeling that it will probably do the same after about another five years, and by then they may not have spares...

Of course if MrsICBM would just learn to leave the damn thing at the temperature I like it, then it wouldn't have got turned back and forward every day and probably wouldn't have broken ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    I’ve got a Mira that’s got a temperature display. It uses a separate sensor for the display and the thermal cut out. The cut out sensor corroded where it contacts that metal water reservoir, causing the shower to think it was overheating - all the while, the display was happily telling you that the water coming out was 17 degrees. Replaced the sensor (put some WD40 on the new one to prevent it corroding) and it’s been fine for a few years now.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Mira
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Dare I say MIRA
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2448
    edited November 2018
    Our aqualisa Quartz lasted 11 years (motor linkage went in the end). I got the newer version as the piping layout is the same (turned a whole day job into an hour job) and you get a 5 year warranty anyway.
    Don't buy straight from them though, they charge about £150 more than you can buy it for if you shop around (I paid about £300ish for mine)
    Ours is a gravity fed one though with both a hot and cold feed going into it.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • vizviz Frets: 10705
    edited November 2018
    Mira Azora. The only shower that actually looks nice. 

http://i.imgur.com/LIJrhm8.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Mira is the Boss Katana of showers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mira. Job done :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Shower companies leapfrog each over. We’ve got two bathrooms. In the last 25 years I’ve had Mira, Triton, and Acqualisa. The first Mira failed within months, but the replacement has run for 20 years. The other bathroom had Triton, and I’ve replaced the whole unit every five years - buy a replacement from Argos and plug it in.

Last year we replaced a bathroom and I sought advice from a number of suppliers, including a bathroom fitter who lives down the road. Consensus is that, on average, Acqualisa are currently more reliable, followed by Mira. Triton less so, but easier to buy a replacement every five years and fit it yourself. 

The key determinant is whether the shower turns off immediately when you press the button, but then boils the water which is left inside, or continues running until the after temperature has fallen. The former (Triton in my case) wears out faster.

The real reason that I bought Acqualisa this time around is that I preferred the water flow through their shower head.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    We had a mira fitted. B&Q knocking them out with £200 off iirc.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • And there was me thinking this was going to be about a stoner rock band.
    Harrumph.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7892
    I always run the shower cold before turning off. Adds years of life to the unit, particularly in a very hard water area like mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    No combi boiler ?.....there’s no comparison with electric shower ( unless you have a booster pump type )

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    spark240 said:
    No combi boiler ?.....there’s no comparison with electric shower ( unless you have a booster pump type )
    Both electric and combi boiler powered showers are fed from incoming mains pressure water. You can't legally boost the water pressure output from either....well there are ways but not very 3asy to implement. Combi boilers are more powerful than electric showers. The heat output is often 35KW + compared to 11kW on an electric shower...so you can get higher flow rates via a combi.
  • TheMarlin said:
    I always run the shower cold before turning off. Adds years of life to the unit, particularly in a very hard water area like mine. 
    I've just learned something. Thank you :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Electric showers are great. Unless you are one of those people who like to get wet when showering...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Thanks all, I think the Mira multi fit option is a good 'un.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • Ugh... mine has just broken... great - nothing like coming back from a morning run to find out it's a strip wash by the sink day.

It's Mira btw.