Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Minor Burglary, Major Disappointment.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3172
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Sorry to hear that. Was thorpyfx affected as well?
    Of course not, his bunker is bomb proof  =)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Bad luck, glad nothing show stopping was taken.

There was a spate of burglaries in Northants and Cambridgeshire a couple of years ago around this time of year. My in laws were burgled. It may be the same gang.

I did a Fire Risk Assessment course with the BRE several years ago, the legislation focuses on protecting people, building and businesses from fire.

It was a really useful mindset to adopt, thinking about how a businesses would continue after a fire. Insurance, infrastructure, tools and equipment and data all needed addressing on almost all of the businesses that I act for.

This is equally true for burglaries, floods, falling trees... I would recommend any business of any size to think about what they would do if they were cleaned alout and whether they could continue. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    bastards. hope they get caught and flogged

This. Bring back birching.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Though my understanding is that it's CCTV that puts burglars off these days.
    Not really, certainly not near me.  Lack of police resource and balaclavas seem to render CCTV of limited use.
    I guess it may put off your lower tier opportunist but most career criminals are not too perturbed.
    Like most security measures, as the price come down and the measure attains ubiquity, your average scumbag has to deal
    with it as easier options become more limited. 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6195
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Sorry to hear that. Was thorpyfx affected as well?
    thankfully not. Our CCTV, shutter door, security lighting and location in the centre of the farm appear to have helped our situation.

annoyingly they must have scoped the farm out because they avoided all security lights and areas covered by CCTV.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • No guitars or amps taken? Proof that the yoof of today have no taste in music!

Glad it wasn’t worse for you Chris.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3033
    Definitely need to get better security than that.

You've really already identified the risk to your business "We would need to close" and I've no doubt your business has been built up with enough hard work, investment and stress over the years to warrant taking a lot more care of it than that door!

Your insurance, if you tell them, would expect better than that now they know your business is in a dodgy area prone to burglaries! (I know it probably isn't but this is the way they'll see it I would guess)

I don't know much about alarms etc but would guess there are CCTV / alarms that automatically inform you or a security response team if people are outside your business when they shouldn't be,  But, a physical deterrent would surely be best?  That metal door and metal grill mentioned above surely the first port of call.

Don't forget either, that these guys now have an understanding of what gear is available in your premises, they probably know how much it's worth and whether they can get a buyer for it if they nick it.  I would be wary that they will be making a return visit at some point. 

Other simple, low-cost things that may make them think twice

- Beware of the dog sign (Alsatian best I would guess)
     - No money kept on these premises sign

And probably one of the biggest deterrents of all - Smartwater, but not sure how much this costs?

https://www.smartwater.com/security/

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    that's awful, there does seem to be a high number of rural break-ins at the moment (i'm in South Northamptonshire) .. not sure what going on ....
  • Awful news, but make sure that the powder the police use for dusting for fingerprints does not conduct electricity
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    That's shit mate, sorry to hear about this but glad you had minimal loss.

Pricks.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)