Quad Jam post Jam discussion thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Who do I talk about checked shirt club membership? You guys were out in force today. Bloody mason's! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Who do I talk about checked shirt club membership? You guys were out in force today. Bloody mason's! 
    You could never carry off a checked shirt properly...
  • Lol!!!! 

Great video that 8)
    Lol!!!! 

Great video that 8)
    Those vocals are superb Mr @paulmapp8306 ;
    Roland said:
    I like the sound in that room.
    It’s a really good room @Roland - but the PA is a bit difficult to control in there..
  • Not sang in a long while, but plucked up some courage, and did enjoy it.
    Not sang in a long while, but plucked up some courage, and did enjoy it.
    We are glad you did!!!!!
  • Two bass player songs are an experiment that doesn't need repeating. 

By which I mean we need to try for 3 or 4. We've already established that multiple basses kick arse! 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two bass player songs are an experiment that doesn't need repeating. 

By which I mean we need to try for 3 or 4. We've already established that multiple basses kick arse! 
    Who needs an octave pedal huh?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5305
    Just put Big Bottoms on the set list and have done with it.
    Oh, @Bridgehouse I think you wanted feedback about the "experimental bass"?  Only used it for a bit of tarting about and one song, but I really liked it, certainly from a playability standpoint.  Very comfortable, easy feel, nice action for an occasional bassist.

Sound wise it was a bit brighter and snappier than I expected (so I did fiddle with the controls a little to take the edge off) but obviously in the circumstances no idea how much of that was down to the amp, the settings on the instrument, the pickups, or its intrinsic qualities. I'm guessing a lot was down to the pickups, based on the visuals alone.

I'd happily own it, although I suspect if it's handmade it would be well outside of my price range for an occasional use instrument (and possibly for a regular use one).
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Re - experimental Bass.....was that the one we borrowed in the other smaller room for a while?...?

i played  that and thought it was really good.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16527
    edited November 2018
    From a construction point of view l liked the body contours on that bass, but the neck seemed a bit thick and square in comparison to the slinky body.   Those who have played some of mine will laugh at that

Although I wasn't playing on the day it was nice to put some names to faces and hear my guitars played through some nicer gear.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16527
    Lodious said:
    @mrkb Thank you so much for a brilliant afternoon! Highlights for me were playing @WezV's Fan fretted Firebird (Ioved this guitar!!!!) through a Carr Rambler, playing @WezV 's Les Paul through a Carr Rambler and playing @WezV's Strat with some crazy pickup into a Carr Rambler and jamming with @darius and @spark240 ;
    And now I want a Carr Rambler!
  • The motley crue that made it all the way to the bitter end:

@Bridgehouse please can you do a tagged / numbered version so I can work out who the fuck I spoke to / missed / ignored yesterday? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6587
    Does anyone have any constructive feedback on their experience yesterday. What could be improved, what has improved over previous jams, what else would be good to do/have. Will help us improve future events. Cheers.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    The motley crue that made it all the way to the bitter end:

@Bridgehouse please can you do a tagged / numbered version so I can work out who the fuck I spoke to / missed / ignored yesterday? 
    I will do a numbered version
  • I quite liked the  near-empty room for trying gear / practise. I think if you want to try guitars maybe one quiet room with a few amps crucially with headphones - sort of like at the guitar show. So you can try guitars without clashing noise. And in the corner of said room could be acoustics?

Amps - just have to have an honour system and have a time-limited bash in a separate room?

That's all in respect of trying gear. There was a lot of it but it was spread out in different rooms with people playing so maybe not overly-accessible. Obviously everybody was cool about trying gear out and giving folk a chance but if you're the nervous sort, it'd be good to have something like the above. 

I felt the jam/recording room was good - I was worried about the recorder placed behind the monitors and what it would pick up. I think it's a great idea to get audio recordings, pics & vids. Especially for folk who don't play with others often, it's a nice reminder. 

What's really awesome is having the full band experience... Access to a drummer is just brilliant and it's great we also had talented keys and bassists and singers. 

All that was missing were mullets and 80s leathers... ;) :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Does anyone have any constructive feedback on their experience yesterday. What could be improved, what has improved over previous jams, what else would be good to do/have. Will help us improve future events. Cheers.
    Can't speak much to improvement over previous jams, because I've only been to one other "proper" one.

My overarching view is that it was very well run, and pretty much spot on for what it is, in terms of the main room. We all got called in, sorted out, allowed a bit of faff time to settle, and then did our thing, often with time for two or three bites at the cherry. It was relaxed, the cock-ups were treated as an opportunity for hilarity rather than shunning etc.  

I also loved the space at Quad, and the fact that we could wander into the main room and just lounge about watching what was happening on 'free' songs.

What follows is therefore window-dressing/fine tuning thoughts.

a) it might be better to be a bit more ruthless cutting songs when a key person has had to drop out.  Some of them we blagged OK, but a couple were just utter chaos. Fun utter chaos, but chaos nonetheless. In particular, Word Up was an epic car crash because Ed had to step in to do the vocals on a song he didn't know, which is incredibly strongly vocally led.  It's not a complex song, but it does have a number of different segments so it has to be tight, and it all hinges on following the vocal. He did a sterling job and this is absolutely not a criticism of Ed - he stepped up to the plate at the last minute so the rest of us could give it a crack, and he should be applauded for that. But we probably should have dropped it, really, or found a different room to have some quiet dry runs first. That said, I still had a blast just farting about throughout the whole thing, so I'm not complaining at all.

I'm also conscious that we did cut a number of songs because of absentees, so it's probably finding that balance point.

b) somewhere like Quad, where there are lots of rooms, it might be nice to set up a couple of extra semi-formal rooms so that people who want to can go and dry run songs in a known space.  e.g. setup a couple of guitar amps, vocal mic and bass amp, and say "Room X and Y for practice, don't fight over them", and then have the other rooms for more free-flowing jam/gear testing/whatever happens stuff.  At both Sasquatch and Quad it has sometimes been awkward finding a practice space without cramping someone else's style.  I know we all strive to come prepared, but I think for some it's helpful to have that chance to just work some stuff out together before leaping into the main fray.

Funnily enough although most of us are gobby twats on here, in real life everyone turns out to be rather quite polite and retiring (well, mostly, mention no names) so if you're looking for somewhere to practice and you walk into a space where there are already people or noise, it's a bit inhibiting - no-one wants to say "I say, do you mind awfully just facking orff so we can have a noodle?".  Having a, or two (space permitting) designated rooms, with a basic rig ready to plug into (so you don't need to pick up amps and shuffle stuff around) would be ace. And you could designate the organisation to someone else, so the main team don't get yet more work.

Wouldn't necessarily work at all venues, but a thought for the bigger ones maybe?

c) I'm going to get some singing lessons to extend my range and open up my "head voice" a bit so I can sing in a higher register that cuts through, rather than end up doing everything like Andrew Eldritch muttering into his beer.

But seriously, given the difficulties of herding a bunch of guitarists, who as a breed are known for not paying attention, playing when they should be listening, and not co-operating with anyone else ever, I reckon it was a blinder of a day. For me it helped that it was my second biggie, plus having done the little Herts one, as knowing a few people a bit better helped me just settle into getting on with stuff without nerves/stressing about being judged and all of the baggage we carry. That's something you can't organise in though, we all just have to turn up and get over ourselves.