2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
Tell me about them. They seem like a very good deal. What am I missing?

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute-2018.aspx#LPTR18SGNH1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    You'll be missing a gloss finish, headstock inlay, neck and body binding, hard case, general fit and finish may be of a lower standard. Looks nice though!
  • The 2017 model was a HUGE bargain. Fit and finish on my is actually much nicer than some standards, and the R8 I owned for a day or two. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Anyone else got any thoughts on these?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I bought one of these and at first was disappointed - there was a big score mark down the neck and a bit of a divet out of it. (See my thread from the time: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127737/what-is-this-score-mark ) I also wasn't used to the heavy slab body of a Les Paul which further put me off.

I decided I was going to just sell it and took all the photos etc. but due to the hours I work and having a new born baby at the time, it just wasn't practical for me to have people coming round to try it out so selling it went out the window.

I took it to a repairman just to see what he might be able to do with it and to my pleasant surprise he did a wonder job, completely getting rid of the score mark and even making the "divet" unnoticeable unless specifically looking for it. That combined with getting more used to the LP body shape has made it become actually one of my favourite guitars, if not favourite.

Compared to Standard Les Pauls the finish is matte and there is no binding - I personally think both of those look so much better than the Standard (and my Mrs thinks the matte finish makes it the best looking guitar in my collection) but obviously those are down to your personal taste.

While there is no hard case, the gig bag it comes with is unbelievable - so many people have commented on how nice it is. Very sturdy, leather exterior and has a nice furry red interior. Compared to the gig bags that came with my Fender bass and PRS SE guitars, I'd estimate it to be 3 or 4 times as expensive.

So, as long as you like the look of the no binding and matte finish and you go to the shop and inspect it for any blatant quality problems, I'd say it's actually a very good guitar.

Forgot to mention, it does have quite a thin neck (which is why I like it so much) so, again, that would have to match your personal preference.
  • I preferred the 50s tribute model they did in 2016, with a Gold Top and a Dark Back, and a properly sized neck. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    That is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks so much!
  • The satin faded honeyburst looks ace in my opinion, I think it suits the minimalist look!