Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

new B.B. King "Lucille" - in white

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    It's priced lower than the standard model - if it's still available - on the Gibson website.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Gagaryn said:
    King85 said:
    That bridge looks cool
    First time I've heard that said about a TP6. :-)

I've not seen one before. What's the lowdown on them?
  • I like this and to be honest as the white ages it will look even sweeter. 

I have to say I am not with Gibson on the Richlite as I simply see it as a corporate decision not to buy a wood that Taylor has a controlling stake in these days and the old corporate adage of never giving money to your competitors. Ultimately at this point if done correctly Ebony will be a sustainable resource especially as Taylor is breaking the myth about streaked and more natural forms.  It is also a little odd as most of the Gibson guitars that have featured Ebony are their premium versions of models. To me it seems like a simple corporate margin booster technique, charge them for premium replace with lower cost man-made product and claim the environmental moral high ground. 

You can see my cynical side here and too many years in corporate life in my youth. 

As for the Varitone I have one of the more modern versions on my 64 reissue 345 and to be honest for anything in the moderate mid gain blues, jazz,rock etc it's no way a tone suck, the old ones may have been but the modern ones get you some really useful tones. By the time you then start playing with mixing front and rear levels and tone pots there is a lot to be found and a swiss army knife comes to mind. 

Have they posted a UK price for this yet. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    57Deluxe said:
    I had the epi model for a while but is no substitute for a 335 cos that circuit is real tone sucker..

I have two of those exact circuits, one in a box, and one in a guitar and the Varitone is one of the best implementations there is. The different filter component choices for each pickup are bang on.

The tone suck is caused be the independent volume controls, not the Varitone circuit. They absolutely kill the top end, which is the last thing those Epi pickups need.  
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited December 2018
    Set Varitone to position 6 not 1!
    Set up you rig volume to match.
    Select Varitone settings to suit different pedal combinations and song needs. 
    Adjust guitar vol and tone as needed as usual.

The Varitone really comes into its own in the mix, and set up as above will give you wide variations on how your overdrive, distortion and fuzz pedals sound.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    I thought it looked awful in white.... 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33833
    Needs a floyd.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    I thought that sounded great. Never considered a guitar of this ilk before but that certainly had sounds there I would use 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Does sound great