Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Crane’s is done

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I think some of us have seen this coming but they made it official today... closing their remaining location imminently forever. 

https://www.facebook.com/158965324116281/posts/2261674157178710/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's really sad. Days were numbered after Cardiff store went, I think. They still own Caparison though and that's going well, I hear.

Here's a nice story about how the owners went out of their way to get me a discontinued Caparison guitar I'd always wanted...
    https://medium.com/fretboard/new-guitar-day-caparison-horus-m3-revive-series-a1842c670dff
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    That's really sad. Days were numbered after Cardiff store went, I think. They still own Caparison though and that's going well, I hear.

Here's a nice story about how the owners went out of their way to get me a discontinued Caparison guitar I'd always wanted...
    https://medium.com/fretboard/new-guitar-day-caparison-horus-m3-revive-series-a1842c670dff
    That guitar looks AWESOME!
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    Very sad :(
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    That's a shame, I was always treated royally in the Cardiff store, to the extent that I wondered if they'd mistaken me for someone else. 

Top guys. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sad news when any music shop closes. I hope the staff all manage to get sorted with new jobs asap.   
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Sad but it must be nearly impossible to compete with the online box shifters.
  • p90fool said:
    That's a shame, I was always treated royally in the Cardiff store, to the extent that I wondered if they'd mistaken me for someone else. 

Top guys. 
    You are the spitting image of James Dean Bradfield thats why!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    The vibe I'm picking up within the trade is that many more are going to follow - I know of a few 'established' stores for sale and I can't see why any one would wish to buy them
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    The vibe I'm picking up within the trade is that many more are going to follow - I know of a few 'established' stores for sale and I can't see why any one would wish to buy them
    Not good.

Why didn't Hammond do something serious about business rates in the budget?

They also need some kind of tax on online transactions.  Probably only needs to be 2% or so.  Combined with a cut in business rates for shops in high street retail locations, it would go a long way to levelling the playing field.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Are we not all guilty of searching and buying off the internet at the best price we can find ?
    If you found a new baja tele for £499 posted or your local shop had one for £549.00 what do you do? support your local shop and lose £50 ?
     In the 80's it was go to your local shop and buy what they had .Its not just guitar shops all local high streets have for sale ,to let ,closing down sale shops ,everyone is shopping on their laptop/phone ,or tablet 
    We are all guilty i'm afraid 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    Not good.

They also need some kind of tax on online transactions.  Probably only needs to be 2% or so.  Combined with a cut in business rates for shops in high street retail locations, it would go a long way to levelling the playing field.
    agree but it is a token  gesture - We had a similar chat only 2/3 days ago on FB - Can't find the OP - But it will take more than  2/3 sentences to solve the issue right now, on any forum - In a simple principle you could adjust vat for a shop till v on-line, but good accountants would find a way to beat the system

Yet equally as a very small store, well over 60% of my business is now mail order and this week alone it is nigh on 100% and I hardly think such a business model, of mine, is the failing of the high street

I've been in the trade now for over 40 years and the last 15 years has changed so much - hardly recognisable from what I was taught by my dad and granddad - I spoke to another dealer a few days ago and he expressed thoughts about closing down his brass/woodwind dept, within his store - Not due to lack of turnover but due to the fact that it is only making around 8% - Factor the whole cost of running such a part of the business and it is a non starter - In short £80K profit on a 1 million pound turnover - pay 2/3 staff and nothing left in the kitty
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate to say it but a hell of a lot of services are struggling as well. I work in law and the salary levels are a joke right now. I'd never advise anyone to train and spend huge amounts on education now.

15 years ago it was booming industry. Now I know of Partners who can't afford to have two kids because it means moving house. Ridiculous.

All music stores have to adopt to the new way of selling otherwise I'm afraid they won't survive :-(

If I could do anything now I'd train in food and drink and run my own place. 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I hate to say it but a hell of a lot of services are struggling as well.  
    Aye, that’s 6 of my best photographer clients having told me in the last month alone that they are done and are hanging up their cameras.  All long established and very good.

People want cheap, and they want it now.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    mark123 said:
    Are we not all guilty of searching and buying off the internet at the best price we can find ?
    If you found a new baja tele for £499 posted or your local shop had one for £549.00 what do you do? support your local shop and lose £50 ?
     In the 80's it was go to your local shop and buy what they had .Its not just guitar shops all local high streets have for sale ,to let ,closing down sale shops ,everyone is shopping on their laptop/phone ,or tablet 
    Yes, yes, yes.

We all scramble for cheap, cheap, cheap, and bemoan the lack of local shops, and fail to see the irony.

We all argue that stuff should be delivered free, complain about crap delivery drivers, and fail to see why one leads to the other.

You get what you pay for.  You don't get what you don't pay for.  Only then do you realise what you've lost.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    That's really sad. Days were numbered after Cardiff store went, I think. They still own Caparison though and that's going well, I hear.

That guitar looks AWESOME!
    Thank you, sir! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    crunchman said:
    Not good.

Business rates don't help, but it's mostly to do with punters using shops as a showroom for the Internet.
    Anyone who has checked something out in a shop, liked the item, then bought it cheaply online is part of the problem.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    GuyR said:
    crunchman said:
    Not good.

Business rates don't help, but it's mostly to do with punters using shops as a showroom for the Internet.
    Anyone who has checked something out in a shop, liked the item, then bought it cheaply online is part of the problem.
    Part of the reason that the shop can't compete with the internet is that the business rates are so high.

The owner of Chandlers told me what the business rates told me what theirs were when they were closing down.  I can't remember the exact figure but I was absolutely shocked by how much it was.  Business rates for a warehouse are a lot less than for a high street shop, and you can make better use of the space.  You can probably fit 5 times as many guitars in the same space in a warehouse situation.  A shop will be paying thousands extra every month compared with an internet box shifter with similar sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Admittedly, I'm hopeless at google-fu, but any search I've ever made has never brought up Cranes in the results. In fact to be honest I've never once until today come across their site, and what a sad time to eventually find it. And some of their stock photos are absolutely stunning in quality as well. Truly stunning. It's clear I may have been missing out over the years, but that's maybe the story for many more customers. I don't have any knowledge about how search engine results populate, but somethings amiss if a regular online buyer like myself has never even chanced upon them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    mark123 said:
    Certainly guilty when it comes to books, CDs, etc. However with guitars I’ve only ever bought from bricks’n’mortar stores - mainly because two supposedly identical guitars will not feel the same. OK, I know DSR are on my side but buying guitars online will always have an element of luck about it, and I’m happy to pay a bit more to be able to try the actual instrument I’m buying.

i do wonder if bemoaning the closure of high street shops is a bit like complaining about the disappearance of the blacksmith. The world is changing and we shop differently than we used to. The high street won’t disappear but it will change. Our town centre now has plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, nail bars, hairdressers, etc - essentially the things that internet shopping can’t provide. The town centre is still busy; it’s just busy with different things than it was a decade ago.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeS said:
    Admittedly, I'm hopeless at google-fu, but any search I've ever made has never brought up Cranes in the results. In fact to be honest I've never once until today come across their site, and what a sad time to eventually find it. And some of their stock photos are absolutely stunning in quality as well. Truly stunning. It's clear I may have been missing out over the years, but that's maybe the story for many more customers. I don't have any knowledge about how search engine results populate, but somethings amiss if a regular online buyer like myself has never even chanced upon them.
    The way that search engine results are populated can be manipulated, and there's an industry devoted to getting their chosen company at the top of the list. Part of the reason is that most people don't look beyond the first page of search results. This is why the EU slapped a large fine on Google. I use DuckDuckGo instead of Google.