PRS necks query, Starla core vs S2

So, 3 PRS guitars: 

2011 Starla Core, I assume 'wide fat' - way too wide feeling.
2013 Starla S2 - better, but shoulders feel biggish, not for me
2014 Mira S2 - great neck, measures as wide as the 2013 at the nut but feels narrower and more comfy.

My question: Could I find a Starla Core with the same neck as the Mira? I thought the S2 Starla would have the same 'pattern regular' shape, but even within a year's period it's different. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    As far as I'm aware all the original Starla's had a wide/fat profile and the original Mira's had wide/thin or regular/standard so 2 options on the original Mira
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    I thought all S2’s had pattern regular necks? My Vela and Standard 24 where identical to each other. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    As far as I'm aware all the original Starla's had a wide/fat profile and the original Mira's had wide/thin or pattern so 2 options on the original Mira
    I thought the original core Mira were either wide thin or the old regular/standard neck profile.

I owned a Mira with a regular neck and it was smaller than the wide fat or pattern.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    Collings said:
    As far as I'm aware all the original Starla's had a wide/fat profile and the original Mira's had wide/thin or pattern so 2 options on the original Mira
    I thought the original core Mira were either wide thin or the old regular/standard neck profile.

I owned a Mira with a regular neck and it was smaller than the wide fat or pattern.
    I agree but noticed an error on my text - Yes Mira was spec'd with an option of wide/thin or regular/standard - Corrected it and thanks
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    grungebob said:
    I thought all S2’s had pattern regular necks? My Vela and Standard 24 where identical to each other. 

As far as I know all the S2 models have the pattern regular neck, as you say.

Having said that, I've got an S2 Mira, S2 Mira Semi-Hollow and S2 Singlecut Standard and they don't feel exactly the same to me.  The Semi-Hollow neck is definitely a bit thinner.

Generally I find PRS necks a bit too Wide and not Fat enough.

• allenallen Frets: 713
    I seem to remember the original Starlas had a shorter scale length too. Either 24.75 or 24.5 not 25 like the later ones.
  • Philly_Q said:
    grungebob said:

Having said that, I've got an S2 Mira, S2 Mira Semi-Hollow and S2 Singlecut Standard and they don't feel exactly the same to me.  The Semi-Hollow neck is definitely a bit thinner.

It's interesting, they are different at times even though presumably it's all done by CNC. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    Philly_Q said:
    grungebob said:

It's interesting, they are different at times even though presumably it's all done by CNC. 

Mostly CNC certainly, but also some hand sanding. 

In a way I'd expect the S2s to be more consistent than the core models, because undoubtedly the costings allow for less labour time.  But they still vary.