Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Talk to me about cheap short scale guitars

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
I've been thinking recently about trying out a decent short scale guitar (think 24", not 22.5") to see if it would fit my small hands. The problem is, I like a bit of hard rock. While I do like indie/alternative stuff, if something was going to be my main guitar, it would need a bridge humbucker at least. 

I've been looking at the Fender Duo-Sonic HS and the Blacktop Jaguar, as I don't care for trems. Problem is they're a bit pricey, and not very common at all in my area. Bullet Mustangs come up occasionally, but they're a bit *too* cheap. I know, Goldilocks problems.

So, I know that I should try some out, but it's hard to get my hands on something like this nearby. Do any of you have any recommendations for something between the two price points I mentioned? Can I get a decent rock sound out of a short scale Fender, or will the scale length cause some difficulty?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What about the Classic Player HH Jag?
    Dont worry about the trem- You can lock the trem off by tightening a single screw. Some have a wee switch that locks it off too. 

Regarding rock tones, Kurt Cobain seemed to manage ok on his jag. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    What about the Classic Player HH Jag?
    Maybe, even, its close cousin, the Squier VM series Jaguar HH? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Would a PRS SE 245 not be a good compromise? (24.5” scale length)
  • How about this? Really fancy one of these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    The Squier VM and the Classic Player HH look interesting. I still think the Bullet Mustang is probably a bit too cheap.

My Godin is Gibson scale length (24.75"), so I feel like I'm covered for that and 24.5" wouldn't be a huge change. Thank you all for the input!

I assume I'd lose a bit of that high end snap, with the shorter scale?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited December 2018
    I got my lefty daughter a Harley Benton Mustang for £60 second hand. Might give it s fret dress at some point to really get the action down but truth be told there’s actually sod all wrong with how it plays as is. Wilkinson pickups in it are alright too.
    Thd Jazzmaster trem unit isn’t amazing but for £60 ? Really ? 
    But yes, if it’s staying a bridge humbucker is going in for added shunt.

Not really answering the OP’s question more a rumination on the amazing quality for buttons money 
  • The new Player Series Jaguar? Has a bridge humbucker.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Squier Bullet Mustang with upgraded pickups if necessary. They may be cheap to buy but they are not cheaply made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought one of these to take on holiday (fits my case) years ago. This is really short scale.

It should be tuned to G#.
    All shorter scale instruments (brass & woodwind too) are trickier to maintain tuning. This thing is truly dreadful.

I have played a Fender Duo Sonic recently. I was impressed with it. It played well and sounded great. So much so that I am no longer anti-ceramic pickups.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    ICBM said:
    Squier Bullet Mustang with upgraded pickups if necessary. They may be cheap to buy but they are not cheaply made.
    That's good to know, cheers. I've seen them pop up in my area a couple of times, but it's been a reasonable drive. I didn't consider it worth it at the time. May look again if they pop up again.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited December 2018
    Sorry for slight hijack but what are 24" guitars like for tuning down to Eb? I imagine floppy without something like 12s? Always liked Jaguars and Mustangs (especially the Squier now it comes in decent finishes!) bit not sure if it would work for me!
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited December 2018
    I just picked up a secondhand modern player Fender jag. Short scale. Two P90s. First imressions great. Less than 200 quid.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Whenever I see Troy Grady shred on his Mustang I get the urge to buy one but their radii are always 9.5" which I can't really handle.
  • GuitarGuitar have a jagstang in their pre-owned section. 
    You could buy that (so I don't). 
    The way is clear for you, @stimpsonslostson - I live in Canada!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The Bullet mustang with a Fender decal is what you need.Great guitars, in fact probably the most usable ,playable and good sounding 100 quid or so you spend your ackers  on.I sold mine to finance others but may well buy a foam green one as I miss it.great for kids too but I would certainly go on stage with finest in the land and be happy.A Fender decal improves it.... purely on aesthetics you understand.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    DeeTee said:
    I live in Canada!
    i.e. London, Ontario. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    DeeTee said:
    I live in Canada!
    i.e. London, Ontario. 
    It seems I hadn't updated my bio for a wee while....